Chapter 64: Strongathon Special Guest

Okay, so Jesse, maxi and I didn’t really expect a big turnout for the big fundraiser for Strong which we decided to call the Strongathon. So, I called up Brad Maylon asking if he had any ideas to promote the big fundraiser which included a colour run from Tamarama to Bronte and then at the end, we had gotten the Waverly Council on board and maxi and asked headspace to sponsor us for the event. With the help from the council and headspace we had managed to get hold of a big stage. But there was nobody to perform on it yet.

I dialled Brad’s number and held my phone to my ear on my lunch break at work with Mouse and Maxi. The phone rung and Brad picked up on the third ring.

“Hello this is Brad?” he answered.

“Brad! Hey it’s Em.” I replied.

“Hey Em, what’s up?”

“Well, I was wondering if you had any connections to make an ad for us for the Strongathon in two days.” I asked hesitantly. It was a big favour to ask of him and I didn’t want to get my hopes up.

“Course I can. His name’s Jayden, I’ll text you the details.” He answered happily. My heart fluttered and I grinned a big grin, which made Maxi and Mouse punch the air in silent happiness.

“Thanks so much!” I replied before hanging up. Maxi looked at me hopefully, his eyes twinkling like they hadn’t done in weeks.

“Did we get an ad?” he asked optimistically. I grinned.

“Yes! Brad’s going to text me the details.” I replied. Mouse high-fived me.

“You’re a legend Em!” He told me. I smiled and shook my hair back behind my neck.

“Oh, I know.” I replied, causing Mouse to roll his eyes. At that moment, my phone binged with a text message and Jesse walked into the café.

“Hey, did we get an ad?” He asked taking a seat.

“Oh yeh.” Mouse told him. I pulled out my phone and it was from an unknown number. Frowning, I opened it up.

To: Emilee Kerr

From: Unknown         

Hey Emilee, it’s Jay, Kara’s brother. My good mate Brad Maylon called me up saying you and your boyfriend Jesse needed me to shoot an ad for that Strongathon thing you’re campaigning for. Come to my office (345 Carlton Crescent, Bondi) at 3 if you can. If not please call, I’m busy. –Jay

I added the number to my contacts and then read the message aloud to the guys. Maxi checked his watch.

“Well, its 2:30 now, I wonder if Hop will give us the arvo off.” He said thoughtfully. I sighed.

“I hope he will.” I said to nobody in particular. Maxi and Mouse then stood up. Jesse and I followed by their example and we all walked out, high spirits falling, knowing that Hoppo was working us overtime leading up to the trip and probably wouldn’t allow us to leave early. We walked up to his office and stopped outside the door. Mouse knocked.

“Come in.” We heard his familiar voice. We all walked in slightly glumly, and Hoppo noticed. “What’s wrong with you lot?” he asked not a bit concerned.

“Well, we need to do some advertising for the Strongathon and-“Jesse started but Hoppo cut him off.

“Go on. I got enough of the boy’s here- and girls-“he added hastily after seeing my face-“get everything ready. I know how important this is.” He said. We all grinned, our moods lightning significantly. We all left his office in high spirits and then walked towards the car.