Chapter 94: My Human Crutch

Jesse POV

It was just another day in the office. I got to work and there were already people swarming to the beach. Today myself, Hoppo, Reidy, Yatesey, Tom Bunting, Chapo and Whippet were on duty. Hoppo briefed us in the morning, and told me that I was on North end with Whippet.

We jumped into the rhino and headed up between the flags, where things were calm and collected for the time being. It was still a bit early for all the families to come down, but we were sure that they would come down eventually, given the forecast was going to be nice and sunny.

This morning, Emilee had gotten up when I did because she and Kara were going wedding planning with Emma. We had decided we wanted to be married on the date of our 18 month anniversary, which happened to be in three weeks- so there was a lot to do. Emilee gave me the run down for her day today. The order for organization was invites, venue, catering, dress and then everything else. I was kind of glad that the girls were dealing with the whole thing. I’d just slow them down.

“So you nervous for the wedding?” Whippet asked me as we sat and watched the water.

“Not really. I think I’m glad I’m finally going to be marrying Em though.” I admitted.

Truth be told, I was absolutely shitting my pants. I didn’t want to stuff up the ceremony, but then after that I didn’t want to stuff up the honeymoon and I wanted to be the best husband I could be and not screw anything up for Emilee, who was going to then want a divorce and…

Stop it Jesse. I told myself. Don’t freak out.

“Don’t lie man, your shit scared aren’t you?” Whippet said with a grin. I sighed and nodded.

“I am. I just don’t want to stuff anything up, you know?” I confessed.

“Look Jesse. I know how you feel. I’ve been through the same with Gina- well minus the dramatics of it all, but yes. Essentially the same thing, and she’s still putting up with me. We had a kid for crying out loud! It’s because she loves me, and I know, and I think you do too, that nothing could hurt Emilee more in this world than if you didn’t love her back like you do, because she thinks the world of you Jesse. She knows you’re perfect together.” Whippet said. I smiled.

“Thanks man.”

We turned our heads back out to the water, and I spotted a girl going under just as the message came through from Tom and Chapo who were in the tower.

“Boys there’s a girl going under, you might have to go and get her.” Tom’s voice crackled in over the radio. I jumped up and tore off my shirt. I grabbed and board and sprinted into the water. Whippet stood by in case I needed help.

The heavy blue board hit the water, and I paddled over the waves, wishing I could duck-dive under them like I could on my surfboard. I focused on the girl in need of my help and paddled towards her, rhythmically. I finally reached her and yanked her onto the board. It took her a while to calm down.

“Hey, hey, its okay.” I told her. She didn’t look foreign; in fact she looked quite Australian.

“Can you lie down with your chest here and legs near me please?” I asked. She nodded and I helped her orientate her body on the board, and then caught a wave back in. Whippet ran to her from the beach.

“Are you okay darling?” He asked. She nodded.

“Yep. Thought I could handle it out there. I’ll be fine.” She said before walking off.

Whippet shook his head.

“A thank you would have been nice eh?” He chuckled and we both sat back down in the rhino. The radio crackled to life.

“Good save Jesse.” Tom said.

“Thanks mate.” I replied.

A few hours later, it got really hot, and people swarmed down to the beach. Whippet and I were no longer chatting, instead keeping a fierce eye on the water’s edge. I watched some surfers come too close to the flags, and called the Jet Ski to make them go back to the surf zone.

Then a painful memory tugged at the back of my mind.

Koby. I hadn’t spoken to him since our fight, and I was seriously missing him. I needed him to come to the wedding. I wanted him to be my best man.

“You okay Jess?” Whippet asked. I nodded, but I knew that I absolutely had to sort all of this out before we never even spoke again. I could not imagine a world without Koby.

After work I quickly texted Emilee.

Going to be a bit late home sweetie. Need to sort some stuff out.

“Bye boys!” I said. I got chanted see you’s and I think I heard a toodles in there somewhere. I chuckled, but focused on the task ahead. When I got to my car, and my phone dinged with a reply from Emilee.

Sure thing Jesse. Be home soon though.

I smiled and got into my car. Koby didn’t know I was coming, and I was hoping he was going to be home. I pulled out of the Bondi carpark, and drove to Koby’s house. The whole way I was stressing. I’d known Koby since I was fourteen, and before then I knew him as a legend. He had been like my father, my best friend, and my guide whilst growing up in the rough streets of Maroubra, and when people heard that he looked after me and we were close friends, they didn’t dare harm me. He had always been such an amazing and incredible friend, somebody I knew that I could always count on for advice, or just someone to hang out with and go surfing when nobody else could. Koby was my wingman, and I was his, and I didn’t want to lose this relationship. Sure, I always say that Maxi is my best mate, and he is actually my best mate, but Koby is too. Koby is like another older brother on top of my current one, and it’s the best feeling ever. He saved Emilee when she ran into trouble with a couple of gang member’s way back, he showed her some new moves when we went surfing that time and he was forever supplying those MBK shirts.

I pull up at his place, and hesitantly drive in. I get out of my car and slowly walk up to his front door and ring the doorbell. The door opens.

“Oh. It’s you.” Koby answered. “What do you want?” he asked.

“I want to talk to you Koby.” I said.

“Why?”

“Can I just come in please?” I begged. Koby gave me a harsh glare.

“Fine.” He said coldly. I walked in and sat down in his living room. Koby sat opposite me.

“I want to begin with an apology. I’m so fucking sorry Koby. I wasn’t thinking and I just… I didn’t know what to do. Nothing anybody said was making sense.” I said. Wasn’t much of a speech I know, but hopefully Koby would think it counted.

Koby smiled at me.

“Mate, that’s all you had to do. I’ll always forgive you.” He said. I grinned.

“Thanks Koby.”

“Now what’s the real reason you’re here?” He asked. He knows me too well to think I only came to apologise.

“Well… I proposed to Emilee. We’re getting married in three weeks and I want you to be my bestman. My wingman.” I said. Koby grinned like crazy.

“Of course I will Jesse!” he agreed.

“I’m so happy for you! Getting married! You’d better not start a family until I get married.” He said with a wink. I laughed.

“Maybe I will.” I replied.

I was glad to have Koby back. He was crucial part of my life, like being a lifeguard, and I needed him for support like an injured person needs crutches.

Koby Abberton was my human crutch.

I laughed to myself.

“What?” Asked Koby.

“You’re my human crutch!”