18• Coming Home

"I'll get it." John sulked, making his way to the door. He was bitterly annoyed at not being able to kiss his husband for longer. With work and everything, their proper kisses were far less regular than John would have liked, making him treasure every moment they had. John put his hand on the door and sighed. This better be important. He opened the door to see a sight he didn't expect to see. Mycroft, in a pinstripe suit holding an umbrella. John opened his mouth, slightly in shock.

"Close your mouth, John, we are not a goldfish." He said, a smirk on his face. John closed his mouth.

"Come in, Mycroft, it's been a while!" John managed to say. Mycroft narrowed his eyes, observing John's bottom lip.

"I apologise if I interrupted something..." He said, the smirk growing even bigger.

"No, no." Sherlock smiled, coming out of the living room into the hallway and putting his hand out in front of his brother. "It's been a while, brother mine."

"That it has, Sherlock, That it has." Mycroft agreed. When Molly, Mary, Lestrade and Irene had all come out to visit, Mycroft had stayed behind. It had been just over a year since the brothers had seen each other, and deep down (very deep down) they had missed tormenting each other.

"I can see you want to meet your niece and nephew." Sherlock said, looking at the anxious yet exited way Mycroft held his briefcase. Mycroft raised his eyebrows.

"I am not a fan of children, Sherlock." He said, not bothering to hide the fact he knew he'd be a fan of these two. Sherlock chuckled lightly. "This way." He said. He led Mycroft into the living room, where the twins were playing with toys. He smiled. Genuinely smiled. For the first time since he saw his brother get married, he smiled. "I remember you when you were this age, Sherlock." Smiled Mycroft. "You looked just like William."

William looked up at the sound of his name. Hattie-Rose looked up to see the intruder on her playtime. She looked to her brother who frowned. Their little hands found each others and they sat there, staring up at their uncle, confused and eager to learn about this new stranger.

"Do they do that a lot? Hold hands?" Mycroft asked. Sherlock nodded and picked Hattie-Rose out of the play pen, much to Williams distaste.

"This is Hattie-Rose." Sherlock said, making her wave. Hattie-Rose grabbed hold of her uncles nose, giggling as she twisted it about in her little fist.

"Sherlock..." Mycroft said, nervously.

"Okay, okay I'll put her down." Sherlock smiled, seeing his brother discomfort. It was funny, he knew he'd be like this if he hadn't of had children. Mycroft smiled as he realised he could grow to love these small midgety things. "Drink, Brother?" Sherlock asked, smirking at his brothers adored eyes.

"Coffee, you know how." Mycroft said, looking curiously at William. An uninterested William went back to scribbling on a chalk board with stubby bits of chalk.

"Yes." Sherlock mused. "Yes. Well, we'll leave you three alone for a while." Sherlock said, pushing John into the kitchen before Mycroft could object.

"Um, is it really safe...? Leaving your brother in there with..." John mumbled. He paused at Sherlocks raised eyebrows.

"Honestly John. Wait for three minuets and he'll be all over them. Plus, now he's practically the British government, letting him bond with our kids guarantees their safety." Sherlock said. His lips pressed against John's forehead, making him smile foolishly.

"Why would they need safety from practically the British government?" John asked, putting his arms around Sherlocks waist.

"With parents like us, who wouldn't." Sherlock said, a little sadly. John looked up with a furrowed brow.

"Our parenting skills are fine!" He said, rather loudly.

"Yes! Yes, I know, love, but I'm talking about Moriarty. The first male carrier. His son isn't going to be happy I killed one of his fathers and landed the other in a loony bin." Sherlock sighed, pulling away and putting the kettle on. He smiled softly, sadly, down at it. John looked at him. He was upset, a little; but it was overtaken by the overwhelming sense of pride he had in his consulting detective. (Sherlock had made up the job a few months ago. John thought it ridiculous but Sherlock had so many clients... And it helped pay the bills.)

"You are so..." John started, but found he didn't know how to finish. Sherlock turned round and looked at John sharply. His eyes showed he was a little frightened at what John was about to say. A little... nervous. "Perfect." He finished, and turned to go into the living room with Mycroft.

"Perfect?" Sherlock exclaimed. "What the hell is that supposed to mean?" He asked, irritated by the lack of depth in John's comment.

"Idunno." John said, spinning round on his heels. "You tell me." Sherlock narrowed his eyes, smiled and made a slight growling noise at the back of his throat. John smirked cheekily and opened the door. Sherlock turned back to the kettle and smiled. He was so blessed to have his John. He was so lucky. He looked up at the ceiling with a small smile on his face. He new why Mycroft had come today. And he was happy about it.

"Mycroft Holmes are you taking selfies with my kids!?" He heard John cackle with laughter from behind him. He turned around and saw his brother flushed red holding his phone guiltily through the open door.

"Oh wow, Mycroft." Sherlock giggled, coming into the room with Mycrofts coffee. "That's very trendy. Especially for you." He teased. Mycrofts eyes narrowed.

"Shut up, Sherlock." He hissed, Sherlock smirked at him. "I needed a new screen saver." He defended himself. John grinned and picked up William who was frankly irritated with this stranger. Williams eyes narrowed as he looked to Mycroft. "The spitting image of you, Sherlock." Mycroft smiled, looking to his brother.

"How's Greg?" Sherlock changed the topic, flopping onto the carpet next to his daughter. Hattie-rose grabbed onto his curls on twisted them. Sherlock frowned at her smiling face.

"Oh he's fine." Mycroft said bashfully. "Working at the police station, he's got himself up to inspector, hopes to be detective inspector by march." John smiled. He recognised that oblivious smile Mycroft had on whilst talking about Greg. It was the same smile Sherlock wore when he talked about John. This made John smile and clutch Sherlocks hand. "Anyway, that's not why I'm here." Mycroft waved it off. "I'm here because it seems you'll be spending Christmas at Baker Street."

[][][][][]

I know it's short I'm sorry 😰 but hopefully the next chapter will be a bit longer!

~Izzy~