21.

I stood up from the table, my eyes on the two boys standing in the distance, behind the food table.

Louis grabbed my hand and shot me a questioning look, and I answered by jerking my chin to where Zayn was. Louis followed my gaze, then grinned back at me, giving me an encouraging nod and a shove as he let me go.

I gave Lottie a nod to say that I'll be back, and she turned back to see where I was going.

I weaved past the tables as bustling people on the hostel's main lawn to get to Zayn.

Zayn saw me approach first, as Curly had his back to me, and gave me an enthusiastic wave.

I smiled back as I approached them, making their conversation stop. I moved my gaze to the tall and handsome Curly who shot me a dazzling grin, and fuck, I think my self esteem just dropped to my feet.

Hey Niall! Are you enjoying Family day? Zayn signed, asking good-naturedly, but I felt a drop in my gut as I looked down at my scuffed Supras, then back up, shrugging.

It's okay. Not really family day for me, I answered, not wanting talk more with Curly intruding, though it didn't really looked like he understood sign language.

Curly's smile turned to a frown, and I realised I was glaring at him. Oops.

Zayn was quick to dissipate the awkwardness as he gestured to Curly. This is my good friend, Harry. My dad's best friend's son. His family owns this hostel, and he volunteers sometimes, like today.

Oh, okay. Harry smiled sweetly at Zayn and said something to him, then turned to me with a smile.

Harry says that it's nice to finally meet you. I've told you a little about him. And he doesn't know sign language so.

Hah! I felt an unknown sense of smugness at that, knowing Curly couldn't understand what we talked about. I then met Harry's eyes and offered him a fake smile as he smiled back just as fakely, smiling at me like you smile at immature little kids who you pity. I didn't like this stupid older guy.

I had no idea if I should be flattered that Zayn finds me interesting to talk about me with his friend, or be jealous of the fact that Zayn tells this stupid tall and handsome boy everything.

Who cares if he's the future owner of this hostel? Who cares if he's Zayn's good friend? Who cares if Zayn feels so comfortable around him? Certainly not me.

Hey, you alright? Zayn signed to me, and nodded. But no, I was not okay. I was still not over today's events. And I was hating the possessive vibe I was getting off Curly.

Yeah, no. I'm not gonna call him Harry. That name adds more to his suave-ness.

Harry grinned at my response and then said something to Zayn while leaning a bit too close, and Zayn laughed and shook his head as Harry pulled back and walked away.

Before I could blurt out the question of whether Curly was Zayn's boyfriend, Zayn asked while leaning against the table, giving me a stern look, Now, seriously. What's up? I know that uncertain look. And we're friends now, you can trust me.

I do trust you Zayn. It scares me how much I trust you.

I nodded slowly, smiling up at Zayn who smiled back, raising an eyebrow as he waited for my answer.

I'll tell you tomorrow if you're willing to listen. It'll make me feel better, I told him honestly.

Zayn shrugged. Well, then it's settled. I better see you tomorrow at the bench, and I might bring some apple candy.

And with a last cheesy grin thrown my way, he picked up the now empty tray and disappeared back inside the doors to restock the food, while my mind was still reeling at how Zayn Malik can make me so wholly happy with just his words.