03.

Today was Zayn Malik's fifth day working here.

And so far, I'd only resorted to smiling back at the midnight haired boy in the lunch line and then sitting back in my usual seat in the cafeteria with Louis and a shy new boy named Liam-- who Louis had instantly befriended-- while creepily observing Zayn in his element; helping people.

Really? Was there even any flaw in him?

Louis-- my room mate in this hostel and my best and only friend-- nudged me teasingly as I snapped by gaze back at him, throwing him a half hearted glare. Louis laughed into his hands and grinned at Liam, who blushed and looked back down at his food.

Why don't you just go and talk to him after lunch? Louis signed, his blue-grey eyes shining with mirth, and I scoffed, pushing my dyed-blonde fringe back inside my blue hoodie.

That's not gonna happen. I can't even look him in the eye! I signed back sadly, putting my hands back down and grumpily prodding at my potato salad with my fork.

Louis flicked my nose, making me blink in shock.

You'll never know unless you try! Louis grinned, jumping up excitedly, knocking his juice bottle off the table with his elbow. I can so see you guys together! Nialler and Zayn-

I hissed, pulling Louis' hands down, nervously glancing around to see if someone had read Louis' signing.

Louis rolled his eyes at my action and pulled his hands out of my grip.

You'll get the courage someday. And don't worry, I have a feeling Zayn isn't like other people. Louis smiled and cupped his chin in his over-sized-sweater-sleeve-covered palms, and I shrugged, smiling back.

Louis then grinned widely, spinning around and nudging Liam, starting a one-sided 'conversation' with the shy brunette who was staring at an animated Louis in awe.

I smirked. The boy so had a crush on Louis. You just couldn't not like Louis. He had this cheerful, positive aura around him, that automatically made you feel happy.

Louis was mute like me, he was born with a defect in his vocal cords, while I had lost my sense of hearing when I was only six. I haven't spoken since then.

But unlike me, the feather haired boy could hear the sounds of the world perfectly, but couldn't speak a word.

But even so, Louis was the most energetic and lively person I'd met. Words didn't matter to him. His actions were all that he needed.

I still had no idea why someone so outgoing as Louis hung out with a loner, depressed boy like me, and a shy, blushing guy like Liam. When I once asked Louis that, he hugged he tightly and seriously said that he wanted to make me smile, just a little bit. Bless him.

Louis Tomlinson and Zayn Malik are the reason I still have faith in goodness of humanity.

- - - -

[ A/N: all four baes are here! harry comes in soon <3 what do you think about smile so far? (: ]