One

The twelve year old cried profusely laying his head on his mother's lifeless stomach, his father's body just lifelessly few meters away. The house was messy, tables and chairs overturned, evidence of his parents fighting for their lives. He had been asleep when his father was shot in the head but awake when his mother was shot in the stomach killing both her and the unborn baby. He could see the murders from where he hid behind the passage door trying hard to stifle his cries.

The two men looked emotionless as they stared at the corpses of his parents.

"It was a clean job. The Parks will be satisfied" one of them said.

"What about the kid?" the other said.

"Forget about him. He'll probably only think robbers attacked and killed his parents. But we weren't able to find the document and they wouldn't tell us where it is" Said the first man and they both frowned.

"Come on, let's get the hell out of here" the second finally said and they took off immediately.

Taehyung crawled to his parents lightly hitting his father but the dead look in his open eyes was enough for him to know he was never waking up. He buried his head on his mother's slightly swollen stomach grieving for his unborn sister. He had been so happy when they told him the baby was a girl. He had planned to be the best big brother in the world but now, every thing was gone all because he had found gold in the back yard three months ago.

Thinking about it, it had all been his fault. If he had known things would end this way, he would have left it right where he found it. Taehyung was playing at the back of the house making a toy from scraps he found on the ground. He had little or no friends since he was home schooled so he was used to playing by himself. That day, he was picking up an iron rod from the ground when he found this one to be particularly hard. It was stuck deep inside the ground so he pulled and pulled until the rod plunged out forcefully but not without causing him to fall backwards dirtying his clothes more with mud.

He regained his balance and reached for the rod when something else caught his eyes. It was yellowish and shiny. He stared at it long and hard before grabbing it. He had never seen something like this and Taehyung knew he just had to tell his parents so he held it tight and ran back to the house shouting at the top of his voice.

His mother was making their afternoon meal. She stopped what she was doing as Taehyung ran inside the kitchen.

"Tae Tae, what are you doing?" she whispered but then screwed up her face when she noticed his soiled clothes.

"Kim Taehyung, how many times have I warned you not to enter the kitchen looking dirty" she shook her head looking cross "Go clean your hands first"

Taehyung shook his head and opened his palm to show her the yellow stone. "See, what I found Eomma"

His mother gasped as soon as she saw it, her eyes wide open in shock as she took the yellow stone from him

"Where did you get this?"

"At the yard"

She looked really worried but excited at the same time.

"Yeobo! Yeobo!" She shouted loudly. In a matter of seconds, her husband arrived at the kitchen. He was a writer and his eyes were quite swollen from being at his computer typing away. He looked at her

"What's happening?"

"Take a look at this"

She showed him the stone and the blood drained from his face.

"Yeobo, that's gold right? Isn't it? Tae found it in the yard. Your father was right Yeobo. Your ancestors buried gold in the land! Gold!"

A big smile spread across her husband's face as he gripped the gold in his hand. "Do you know what this means?"