; 𝐥𝐨𝐧𝐞𝐥𝐲 𝐡𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐭

- SEVERAL WEEKS LATER -

IT WAS now summer and school finished three days after Peter and Lillian split up. Her phone kept going off with texts from her friends, seeing if she was okay. She answered them... sometimes- only if she had the energy to. She only left her room to eat or when her brother and mother forced her to leave the house. Ever since the break up, she felt drained out.

She lost all hope. She knew deep down that how she was feeling was probably stupid and she shouldn't really be isolating herself, but unfortunately, that's how she coped. She was sitting on her swivel chair by her window as she watched the cars and people passing by. She sometimes hoped she would see Peter walking or swinging by, but she knew better. She still didn't understand what she did wrong or what she did for him to go.

She sighed sadly to herself as she pulled the sleeves of the sweatshirt that Peter let her borrow closer to her. She pulled her legs closer to her chest as she rested her chin against her knees as she inwardly groaned at herself for missing someone who didn't miss or want her. She let out a shaky breath as she shut her eyes in anguish not realizing her mother walked into her room.

"Hey, sweetie... you okay?" Her mother asked softly as she sat on the edge of Lillian's bed.

Lillian rolled her eyes at her mother's question as she was still facing the window and away from her mother. "No, mom. I'm not okay." She said a little coldly. She didn't mean to, but it's how she's feeling.

"Sweetie, it's not healthy to isolate yourself like this." Leila pointed out quietly.

Lillian shook her head, keeping her gaze out the window. "I'm not isolating myself." She lied.

"Lillian, you don't go out anymore. You stopped talking to your friends and they're worried about you. I only know this because they're calling me to tell me that you don't answer their calls." Her mother told her.

"Well they have nothing to worry about." Lillian stated bluntly.

Leila sighed, "Are you ever going to tell me what's wrong?"

"Not really..." Lillian muttered.

"You gotta tell me at some point." Leila stated.

Lillian sighed, "Peter broke up with me after the whole 'Dr. Connors/Lizard' situation."

Leila froze, "Did he say why?" She asked as a pang of guilt hit her chest.

Lillian scoffed at this whilst turning to face her mother, "Yeah. His reason for breaking up with me is because he said he couldn't be with me anymore." She replied coldly, turning back to face the window.

Her mother shrugged, "Maybe he had a good reason?"

"I don't think so." Lillian shook her head angrily, "He was very clear that he couldn't be with me anymore." She said leaving some parts out only because she didn't want her mother to know about Peter's alter ego. Oh, if only she knew.

"I'm sure there's a good explanation..." Leila tried to reason with her daughter.

Lillian shook her head, tears brimming in her eyes whilst her gaze was glued to her window. "No mom." She spat quietly. "C-Can you leave me alone... please?" She sniffled as she slumped further in her chair.

Leila sighed sadly as she watched her daughter begin to softly cry. "...Yeah." She said quietly as she felt guilty whilst leaving her daughter's room, closing the door after her.

Lillian turned around to see her mother gone and the door shut. She sniffled quietly as she stood up from her chair. She opened her window, climbing out as she stood out on the small balcony. She took a deep breath, feeling slightly relieved for a little bit of fresh air. Her folded arms rested against the cold metal rail as she took in the nighttime scenery.

She stood out there for what felt like hours but in reality was probably only fifteen minutes. Her eyebrows furrowed, feeling a little uneasy as she looked off to the side only to see nothing there. She sighed as she shook her head at her thoughts. "There's nothing there." She reassured quietly to herself whilst wiping away the stained tears off her face, feeling as if she was being watched. She shut her eyes as she focused on her breathing, feeling a cold breeze hit against her skin.

She slowly opened her eyes, checking her surroundings as she felt like she was being watched again. But still found nothing. She shivered as she brought her arms close to her chest, looking around her once more before going back inside her room. She shut her window closed, heading toward her bed. She turned her bedroom light off and lied down on her bed, trying to fall into a deep slumber.

She tossed and turned in her sleep, not being able to stay asleep. She let out a quiet, frustrated sigh as she sat up on her bed, still feeling a pair of eyes on her. She checked the time on her phone, seeing that it was two in the morning. She laid on her bed, staring at the ceiling as she heard a soft thud out her window. She ignored it as she turned away, her back facing the window.

She covered her ears as she kept hearing small thuds out her window whilst her eyes shut tightly. She tried to drain out the noises, too afraid to look at her window. She knew it couldn't be Peter. He stopped coming over ever since he stopped the Lizard. The noises grew louder as her breathe became shaky.

Her body curled up in fear, her eyes still glued shut, and her ears covered by her hands. She wanted to scream, but she didn't have the energy to. She kept mumbling to herself for the noise to stop and that it's just her imagination. She couldn't move and she was starting to have trouble breathing. She started screaming once she heard the noise gradually become louder.

"Lilly?" She heard someone call out frantically as they shook her whilst bringing her closer to them. "Lilly, shh. It's okay, breathe." Her brother squeezed her hands reassuringly.

"T-There's-" She choked on her words, her eyes still shut. "Noises-... W-Window..." She tried to speak up.

Her brother looked over her window to see and hear nothing. He shook his head, "Sis, there's nothing there." He said quietly.

Lillian hesitantly peeked over her shoulder toward the window to find nothing there. She let out a shaky sigh whilst her eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

"It was probably a rat or something." Nathan shrugged. "It's late and dark, so you thought of something else?" He suggested softly.

Her gaze still glued to her window as she slowly nodded at her brother's theory. "Y-Yeah... probably." She said quietly.

"You're okay. It's nothing, just go to sleep." He said softly, lightly patting his sister's head.

Lillian nodded, letting out a shaky sigh, "Okay..." She gave him a small smile as her brother left her room. She lied back down on her bed, her hands covering her face. "It's nothing. I'm just overreacting. My mind is just playing tricks on me." She mumbled to herself. She glanced at her window once more to make sure that there was indeed nothing there before she could go to sleep. There was nothing there, just her thoughts playing tricks on her.

- :: -

( author's note :
don't really know what this is but
its how the story's going... i wrote this
months ago )