; 𝐝𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐫𝐨𝐮𝐬

PETER let out a long sigh as his hand reached up toward the handle of the door whilst pushing it open. As he entered the office, he made a b-line towards Leila's office and took a seat in front of her before giving her a small smile.

Leila returned the smile, "I'm gonna get right to it." She said softly, leaning against her desk. "You're really something, Peter." She chuckled lightly as she shook her head. "And now I fully understand why Lilly loves you." She spoke admiringly causing Peter to smile softly at the mention of Lillian whilst looking down at his hands. "The city needs you and I know you're gonna make some enemies. People are gonna get hurt. Sometimes the people closest to you." She stated truthfully with a sigh catching his attention.

"I need you to promise me this. You're gonna leave Lilly out of this. I don't need her to be like her father..." Leila shook her head in thought. "It pains me to even think of losing her that way. Promise me that you're gonna leave her." She adjured with hopeful eyes.

He slowly looked down at his lap, "You promise me?" She asked once more.

Peter reluctantly nodded, "Yes..."

Leila nodded, "Okay... I'll drop you off at school." She offered softly.

Peter nodded once more as Leila led the way out of her office and to her car. He took a seat in the back as Leila sat in the driver's seat. Once she started the car, she drove off and headed toward Peter's school. The drive there, Peter looked out the window as he prepared himself for the worst with Lillian.

"Peter... we're here." Leila turned around to face Peter. Her eyebrows furrowing, "I said your name five times..."

He nodded to himself, "Right... sorry." He apologized softly whilst getting out of the car, closing the door after him as he watched Lillian's mother drive off into the distance. After standing outside of the school for a few minutes, he finally decided to enter the school. He looked over at the clock in the hallway, noticing that there was only a few minutes of second period left so he waited out in the hallway for the remaining time.

Once the transition bell rang, he opened his locker whilst stuffing his backpack in there and grabbing his one of his textbook. He kept his head down as he made his way to his class, thankful that Lillian wasn't in there. He took his seat in the back, sitting next to Ned with a huff.

"Dude, you okay?" Ned asked in concern.

Peter nodded, crossing his arms against the desk whilst resting his head against them tiredly.

"You were on the news dude with Iron Man!" Ned whispered excitedly.

Peter nodded once more against his folded arms, not really paying full attention to anything or anyone.

Ned's eyebrows furrowed in concern, "I heard you got eaten by the Lizard." He stated bluntly to get some sort of reaction from his best friend. "And you lost both your arms and legs." He added.

Peter only nodded, his head still resting against his folded arms not even daring to look up from them.

Ned sighed, "Oh, look Lilly just walked in." He lied as Peter's head shot up at her name only to see that she wasn't in the classroom. Ned let out a light chuckle at his best friend's reaction, "Dude, what's up with you?" He asked whilst nudging Peter softly.

Peter shook his head, letting out a deep sigh. "Nothing. I'm just... tired." He said quietly as class began. He rested his head back down on his folded arms as he sat in class in excruciating boredom whilst dreading the thought of talking or bumping into Lillian.

...

A FEW classes later, Peter told Ned he'll catch up with him later after lunch and that he's gotta talk to Lillian. Ned nodded at Peter, doing their little handshake before he left to get his food. Peter took a deep breath before walking up to Lillian, who was on her way toward the cafeteria. Before she could enter the cafeteria, Peter pulled her aside in a somewhat secluded area in the hallway.

This caught Lillian off guard as she looked up at Peter with confusion and concern written all over her face, "Where have you been?" She asked quietly as she looked around to make sure no one was listening to them.

"Can we... Can we talk?" Peter asked almost choking on his words whilst avoiding eye contact with her. He knew if he looked at her, at her mesmerizing gaze, he would instantly melt and he wouldn't have the courage to keep her mother's promise.

She took his hand in hers gently, her voice soft as she spoke, "What's wrong?"

He kept his gaze glued to the floor, his hand reluctantly pulling away from hers. "I... can't do this." He spoke softly as a pang of heartache washed over him. He shook his head in anguish, "I can't do this. I'm sorry." His voice slightly cracked in sadness.

Lillian was at a loss for words as she shook her head in disbelief, "Peter, what are you saying?" She asked taken aback.

"I can't see you anymore..." He spoke up whilst finally meeting her teary eyes. "I can't." He whispered softly with a small shrug.

"I don't..." She scoffed airily whilst looking around her, hoping this was just a horrible prank. Seeing that it wasn't, she looked back at Peter, "I don't understand."

"Lilly, I can't be with you anymore." He stated nonchalantly, trying to get the point across for her.

"W-What happened to 'if you could do it all over again you would'?" She slightly stuttered, her eyebrows furrowed inquisitively. "Or 'each time you'd do it all over again you'd go back to me'?" She asked.

"Do you not get it?" Peter asked his voice still soft and quiet. "My life, Lilly... it's too dangerous for you to be in it. You could've died. You understand that?" He spoke sternly.

"Yes." She nodded in understanding, "But I didn't so..." She reminded.

Peter groaned, running his hand over his face. "I can't... have you risking your life. I can't live like that, Lilly." He breathed out lightly. "I'm sorry... You deserve better." He said quietly as his voice cracked lightly whilst holding back his tears.

Lillian shook her head, quickly wiping a stray tear away, "No, Peter." She deadpanned before continuing, "I'm sorry." She spat quietly before walking off into the cafeteria, leaving a silent crying Peter alone in the empty hallway.

- :: -

( author's note :
were you guys
expecting that?? )