; 𝐬𝐮𝐛𝐭𝐥𝐞 𝐜𝐨𝐧𝐟𝐥𝐢𝐜𝐭

THE next day Lillian was at school in search for Peter. "What's up with you? You look crazy." Michelle asked as she rested her head gently against Jade's shoulder.

Lillian smacked her lips in annoyance, "I'm just... looking for somebody." She said quietly.

"Who?" Jade asked as she popped a chip in her mouth and then passing a new one to Michelle who gladly took it and ate it.

Lillian looked around not seeing a sign of Peter anywhere in the cafeteria, "Um..." she turned to face her best friends, "Peter." She said shyly.

"Why? Didn't you guys break up?" Michelle asked as Jade nodded in agreement.

"Yeah... but he came over last night... for dinner-"

"Wait, hold up." Jade said, placing her bag of chips down on the table dramatically. She cleared her throat, "What?" She asked in shock.

Lillian rolled her eyes somewhat playfully, "My mom invited him. Not me." She stated as she shook her head. "Anyway, during dinner I left to get some air and Peter followed me to check up on me. We talked and before he left he uh," She wiped her hands against her jeans as she felt them clam up, "told me that he loves me? And he kissed me afterwards." She groaned as she covered her face with her hands.

Jade squealed happily, "I knew it! I knew he still had feelings for you."

Michelle shook her head towards Jade, "Don't, emerald." She shushed her before turning back to Lillian. "Wasn't he the one who broke up with you?" Her eyebrows narrowed.

Lillian dropped her hands on the table, "Yeah and that's the thing! He broke up with me and then says he loves me and leaves." She threw a hand up in a confused manner. "I don't know what to do about that."

"It's honestly all up to you, flower. I think you should be talking to him about this though, not us." Michelle stated with a small smile.

Lillian nodded as she took notice of Ned walking past his usual table, "I'll be right back." She said softly as she got up to catch up with Ned. "Hey, Ned." She smiled as he turned around to face her.

"Oh, hey Lilly." He smiled back.

"Uh, have you seen Peter?" She asked as she nervously tugged at her own sleeves of her Midtown hoodie.

"Sorry Lilly, I haven't seen him since the last time I saw him." He said

"When was that?" She asked as she crossed her arms whilst her eyes narrowed at him.

"The last time I saw him?" He questioned with a nervous laugh as Lillian nodded at him. "It's definitely the time I saw him last." He smiled.

"Please, Ned. It's important." She pleaded softly.

Ned let out a small sigh, "Come with me." He said quietly as he motioned her to follow him. They both started heading to an empty band room as Ned took a seat on the floor next to his newly finished Lego Death Star that was beside Peter who was munching on his second bag of doritos.

"Ned, what took you so long?" Peter asked as he looked up to see Lillian instead. The room fell completely silent as the two stared at each other.

Ned sighed, grabbing the chips he brought from the cafeteria as he stood back up. "I love you guys. I really do," He said with a small smile, "but I'm too young and pretty to be going through this much stress with your relationship." He pointed out.

"Ned-"

Ned shook his head, holding his hand out to cut Peter's sentence short. "Don't Ned me, Peter. Stop being a wuss and talk to Lilly, alright?" He stated before turning to face Lillian and continuing with his rant. "And Lilly, I honestly don't mind you coming to me to talk. I really don't." He said softly toward before turning back to face Peter. "But don't make me the messenger please. 'Cause it's hard enough to remember who said what." He sighed as he recollected himself. "Now... I'm gonna go, so you guys can talk things out." He finished as he headed out the door.

Peter's eyes narrowed in confusion, "Ned!"

Ned turned around abruptly as he shook his head, "I'm leaving. Just talk to her." He said as he continued to leave.

The room fell in complete awkward silence once again as it engulfed them, both of them not knowing who should speak up first. Lillian fiddled with her hands as she stood there awkwardly whilst Peter sat there, staring at his shoes as if it was the most interesting thing in the room.

Lillian sighed in annoyance as she decided to be the first one to speak up, "Are we gonna talk about last night?" She said abruptly as his head shot up to meet her gaze.

His eyebrows furrowed, "About what?" He asked, feeling dumbfounded.

Lillian rolled her eyes as she crossed her arms, "Seriously Peter?"

"No." He said softly as he broke eye contact with her to look back at his shoes.

"Why did you say it?" She asked, her voice growing soft.

"Say what?" He avoided her gaze as he looked over at the Lego Death Star.

Lillian ran her hands through her hair frustratingly as she began to pace back and forth. "Oh my god, Peter..." She muttered in annoyance, feeling as if she wasn't getting anywhere with him. "You know what I'm talking about."

"I'm aware of what I said last night. I just don't know what part you're talking about." He shrugged, still avoiding her eyes.

Lillian pinched the bridge of her nose as she took in a deep breath, "You said you love me and then you kissed me." She breathed out as she let go of the bridge of her nose.

"In my defense, I thought I was going to die." He said softly whilst finally looking up at Lillian, referring to the Lizard on the bridge incident that happened last night after he told Lillian that he loves her.

"You can't do that." She stated in exasperation, stopping her tracks in front of Peter.

"I'm sorry, I-"

Lillian shook her head, cutting him off, "You can't just say that to me and leave like that." She added.

"I didn't know what to do-" He said softly as Lillian continued.

"And then you've been avoiding me all day, which isn't helping by the way, because then I'm overthinking the whole thing which leads me to panic and I hate that." She let out a shaky sigh as Peter's face softened at her words. "You didn't even give me the chance to tell you I feel the same way." She whispered.

"Oh." Peter said quietly as his cheeks turned slightly red with a small smile.

Lillian nodded, "Yeah, 'oh'..." She said softly, "I love you too, you idiot." She smiled lopsidedly.

- :: -

( author's note :
this is honestly a filler chapter n i
lowkey hate it but it was sort of
needed ig?? double update ?? )