Chapter 1

Please, only read this if you have already read the 7th book of KOTLC!! (It is leading off of the 7th)

Also, if you don't enjoy this book, please go to chapter 14 for a surprise!!

"What?" Sophie asked, but she knew it made sense. She was the girl with the freaky eyes and crazy abilities. Of course, she was unmatchable. But that word. Unmatchable. Her eyes threatened to pour out all the tears she was trying so hard to keep in. Her life was officially ruined because of the Black Swan, and she wasn't going to let them forget it. 

But ... that didn't change the fact that she was Unmatchable. Unmatchable. Unmatchable. 

Suddenly it dawned on her that she was still at the matchmaker's, sitting there and tearing up. She bolted out of the door, tore her crystal out of her pocket and literally sprinted into the glittering path of light.

Sophie glittered into the path that led to the front door of Havenfield. Sandor called for her, but she ran into her room, ready to collapse onto her bed in hopes that if she let herself settle in her grief, it would all be better. She pushed open the door to her room, only too find... Fitz. Of course, he was there, smiling his biggest and looking at Iggy.

 "Dex just left," he said, and Sophie nodded. Iggy looked like a sparkly frog. Fitz studied Sophie more closely, and the smile faded from his face. "Something happened, didn't it?" He asked, and Sophie nodded. He moved closer and looked down at his shoes. "Maybe we should go outside." He suggested. Sophie nodded. "Okay." He said. "If we're out there .. maybe at Calla's tree, will you tell me?" Sophie hesitated for a long time, her crush on Fitz was not the easiest thing to just tell him, let alone half of her future was just destroyed. She couldn't have a match, but she nodded anyway.

They arrived at the tree, and Sophie breathed in the sweet scent of Calla's flowers. This was the best place she felt secure enough to tell him. "I went to the Matchmakers." She started, and Fitz's eyes widened. "Why didn't you tell me..." He asked, "I could've come with you... or....." He trailed off, finally realizing that would be the weirdest thing in the history of Elvin. He looked back at her eyes and asked the question Sophie had been waiting for. 

"What did they say?" he asked slowly, and Sophie tugged out a bunch of eyelashes. "Hey," He said, "You can trust me." Sophie nodded as their Cognate rings snapped together. Once she rallied up enough courage to tell him, she looked back at his eyes again. "They said I was...." She gulped loud enough for him to hear. "They said I was unmatchable." Her eyes got wet again, and she looked down at her feet. Fitz sat there for a long, long time. Then he stood up.

 "I have a confession to make." He said. Then he pulled out several long scrolls. "My matches." He whispered. Sophie's head snapped back into attention, and Fitz looked into her eyes with some sort of longing. "You're not on it." He said, and his eyes got wet too. "Listen.." He said. "You know when you said you liked me?" he waited until Sophie painfully nodded. "I meant what I said. I want it to be you," he said. And Sophie looked up at him. "Really?" She said, and Fitz nodded. "Me too." Sophie decided. "But..." Sophie trailed off again. "How are we going to do this?" She asked. "You know how much Bad Matches get criticized." 

Fitz agreed. "I just..." He got cut off by Sophie's Imparter ringing in her pocket. "It's Mr. Forkl..." She trailed off, an idea forming in her head. She threw her head around towards Fitz. "Can you levitate us high enough to teleport?" She asked, and Fitz looked uncertain but he nodded. "where are we going?" He asked, but Sophie tuned him out as the got lifted higher, higher into the sky. She could see Sandor scrambling towards them, yelling for Sophie to come down followed with some very real threats. 

Sophie couldn't worry about that now. She looked at Fitz, and he was waiting for the signal. Sophie took a deep breath as she remembered the Black Swan hideout. Then she nodded to Fitz. "Drop us."