Immortality: Chapter One

I heard someone walk up to me and sat down directly in front of me. I look up to see my guardian for the past fifteen years staring at me with questioning eyes.

“I know, Mik, I let him get away, but he was human! I couldn’t kill him,” I said quietly so no one could hear us. She rolled her eyes, “Ronnie, he was working for a Dark Angel. They want to take over this world. How many times do I have to tell you?” Mikayla whispered. I stared down at my cup of coffee. We we’re in Bracebridge sitting in Oliver’s. I looked around. A lot of things have changed when I was here fifteen years ago. The only thing that hasn’t changed is me.

I sighed, “I just can’t make myself to kill a human, Mik. I could kill anything else, but that.”

“And that’s where your problem is Ronnie. I know you thought this would have been a better life, but it’s truly not. You have to become a killer to stop the Dark Angels and this is coming from me, an Angel.” She harshly whispered to me. I stared at her. I heard the door chime and suddenly I had the sudden unnatural feeling to look up. I shifted my eyes away from Mikayla and slightly tilted my head, so it wouldn’t look like I was staring at the people coming in. the people coming in weren’t people I recognize until one of them turned at looked at me straight in the eyes. I gasped. I was staring into a pair of eyes that used to be mine, until they turned grey from being Immortal. I looked away and Mikayla notice the exchange between the person and I.

“Mik, don’t turn around, but the group of people that came in, my brother is one of them. We need to leave,” I did hand gestures to Mikayla to make it look like I was have an amiable conversation with a friend. Mikayla understood and started to laugh, like I told her a joke. I smiled and grabbed into my pocket and took out my money put it on the table and stood up. Mikayla paid for her hot chocolate and stood with me. We started to walk out of the store when a hand grabbed my arm and turned me around. I was now staring into hazel eyes that I used to love back then, “Bree?” the man whispered.

I looked around and notice four men with violet eyes. Shit. Jake is with them. I turned to Mik and she nodded her head, saying their powers are damped.

“Uh, no, sorry, wrong girl” I shook his hand off my arm and started to speed walk out of Oliver’s and down the street of Bracebridge.

“I told you this was a bad idea coming back here, Mik!” I hissed at her.

“The Fates told me they moved location a long time ago,” she hissed back.

“Everyone was there! Dimi, Austin, Jake, the list goes on! It’s been fifteen years!” realization hit me there, “it’s been fifteen years I haven’t seen them, fifteen years of them thinking I am dead. Oh my god! I just saw my friends. I’m a terrible person for not telling them that I was alive! I’m freaking out, Mik!”

Mikayla stood in front of me and grabbed my shoulders, “Ron, Breathe. In, out. Good. Now you’re not Brianna Waters anymore. You’re Veronica Fletcher. Understand, that means the people you just saw weren’t your friends. They were strangers you never met before. Strangers. Understood? They are strangers” I listen to her closely then slowly nodded, “I am not Brianna anymore, I’m Ronnie. Okay, I think I got it.”

“Good, lets go.” She turned around and started walking.

“Thanks Mik,” I shot her a grateful smile.

“It’s what I’m here for, now it’s your turn to not turn around, a Dark Angel is following us. We’re going to turn on in to the next alley. Hide and we would ambush it,” I nodded my head. We turned the corner and I found a spot to hide behind a dumpster. Shortly after that I started to hear footsteps coming down the alley.