Chapter Fifty-Eight

Ollie was watching me as I paced up and down in the bathroom, gripping at my hair and trying to breathe normally. 

"But... I can't be in love with him!" I said suddenly, spinning round to face him. 

"Why not?" Ollie asked, tipping his head slightly to the side. 

"Because... I... I mean, you said it yourself: Jay doesn't do feelings. He thinks he's broken, and I..."

"Then maybe it's your job to put him back together. He allows you to do things with him that only his closest friends have ever been able to do."

"But--"

The door to the bathroom opened suddenly, making us both jump in surprise and turn to look. Finn was coming in, glancing between us. 

"What's taking you two so long?" he asked. He frowned when he saw my panicked face. "Is everything okay?"

"I--"

"Kaidan's finally realised he's in love with Jay," Ollie said casually, as if this wasn't the worst realisation I could ever have had. 

"Oh," Finn said, looking surprised. He sighed a little and got his wallet out, handing some money to Ollie, who grinned widely and plucked it from his fingers. He smiled slightly at my confused expression. "We took bets on who would realise first. I thought Jay would."

"I thought Jay was too stubborn to realise, so you would first. I was right."

I glanced between them both, shocked. How had they both known before I had?! And-- No, I could deal with all that later; right now I needed to know what I was supposed to do.

"Okay, whatever, that can wait. What do I do now?"

"What do you mean?" Finn asked curiously. 

"I mean... We can't continue like this, we're both just going to get hurt. He's... He doesn't feel that way."

"If you say so," he replied with a roll of his eyes. "What do you have to do anything differently? Just carry on with everything as it was. He'll realise eventually."

"There's nothing to realise!" I shouted at him, suddenly feeling as if I was about to start crying. 

Some random guy chose that moment to come in, needing to use the toilet. He glanced between the three of us and slowly backed out without a word. I ran my hands over my face, taking a shaky breath. 

"Kaidan, I think you just need to go home, darling," Ollie said gently, coming over to me. 

He placed the flat of his palm against my back, subtly leading me towards the door. 

"No," I said firmly. "I'm going to stay and get so pissed that I don't remember any of this in the morning."

"Kaidan..." Ollie started to complain. 

Finn silenced him with a hand before he could say anymore. "Let's go back out and just have a good time. Okay?"

He was using his Dom voice that I recognised from the few occasions that he'd scolded Ollie in front of me. I could feel Ollie shrinking in on himself slightly in submission, bowing his head. He stayed silent though. 

"Yes, Ollie?" he said again, more firmly this time. 

Ollie nodded quickly but kept his head down. "Yes, Master."

"Good boy. Now, go out and get us all a round of shots, yeah?"

He smiled a little and nodded again, disappearing out of the bathroom. I looked up at Finn, feeling as if I was about to be told off. Instead, he just smiled and came over, resting his hands on my shoulders.