Chapter Thirty-Eight

"Lost the job?" Jay asked, frowning. "I don't get it."

"I've missed, like, two shifts. I was already on my last warning," I sighed. 

"Kitten, don't worry about it. Seriously. You're not going to be staying in that shitty apartment anymore - no offence -  and when we're done you'll have one of the best paying jobs for effort in the world."

I nodded a little, staying quiet.

"Hey, what's wrong?" he asked gently, looking up at me from where he was resting his head on the couch. 

I shrugged. "Nothing."

He just raised an eyebrow challengingly and waited. It was a few moments before I responded. 

"I just... I feel... close to you, after everything and I don't want to just... never talk to you again once we're finished..." I felt awkward admitting it and looked away from him as I waited for him to laugh at me. 

He was quiet for what felt like a year so I looked back to him slowly. He was looking at me curiously as if he was thinking. It was only when I opened my mouth to say something that he spoke.

"Do you really think that once you're ready, I'm just going to push you away and leave you on your own?" he asked. I hesitated before nodding a little. He sighed slightly and rubbed his face with his hands. "Kaidan, you will need a shoulder to cry on, especially in an industry like this, you will need a friend who won't judge, who will understand. Someone who will try out new things with you without it being awkward. I'm happy to be that someone for you if you want."

I stared at him in surprise, stunned into silence. He stood and walked over to the TV. He opened the cupboard underneath it. 

"What do you want to watch?" he asked. I blinked a little confused. Was he seriously suggesting we watch porn together? "A film. What sort of film would you like to watch?"

"Oh..." I blushed a little at the thoughts in my head. He rolled his eyes as if he could guess what I had been thinking. "Shut up," I mumbled. 

I thought about what I wanted to watch with him. I didn't think a comedy was right for the atmosphere, romance just.... no. Horror? Horror was good for cuddles....

"What about a horror film?" I said. 

He was already putting a DVD into the player built into the TV. 

"Thought you might say that. This is a good one," he said, smiling as he came back to me. 

Jay sat on the sofa again and pulled me between his legs. He lay back and intertwined his legs with mine. We seemed to fit together perfectly. I thought about that as I made sure the blanket was over him too, smiling to myself. 

He kissed my hair gently and wrapped his arms around my chest, pulling me closer. I smiled wider at his warmth and snuggled into him. 

The film seemed pretty boring at first. That was until I practically screamed and hid under the blanket about 20 minutes in. 

Jay laughed and stroked my sides. 

"Relax, Kaidan, it's just a film," he said softly. 

"It's a scary film!" I whined. 

I could practically sense him rolling his eyes at me. 

"Come here," he said. 

Carefully I was being lifted from where I was to his side. He wrapped his arms around me and held me tightly. 

"I'll protect you," he said quietly as he kissed my cheek. 

I blushed but couldn't deny the wonderful spread of happiness in my belly. Just to hear those words... 

There was something seriously wrong with me. 

I smiled more anyway and cuddled further into his arms, feeling safe now. 

As the film went on, I buried myself further and further into his side until I was practically pushing him off the couch. When the scary bits were over and the film was finishing, he tilted my face up and kissed me. 

I quickly focused my attention on him instead of my racing heart and the adrenaline racing through my veins. He licked at my bottom lip and didn't wait for me to open my mouth for him before he slid his tongue into me. I moaned a little as he gently caressed my tongue with his. 

The TV faded to black and the credits started to roll. Jay moved slightly and slid me underneath him so he was straddling my hips. He pulled away from my lips and dragged the tip of his tongue along my jaw, making me moan slightly again. 

"Jay..." I panted. 

He kissed my neck, sucking hard, licking at the skin there. I moaned louder and knew I was going to have a bruise there in the morning. 

When he was happy with his handiwork, he kissed quickly up to my ear. I shivered as his hot breath hit my skin. 

"Are you ready to lose your virginity, kitten?" he whispered.

(A/N Woo! Kaidan's first time next chapter - at last! Been so looking forward to doing it! Hope you guys liked this :D Chapter dedicated to Leksia for reassuring me the chapter wasn't boring ~Beka)