Chapter Fifty-Nine

"How are you feeling?" I asked Jay quietly, drawing little shapes on his bare tummy.

"Not too bad, considering," he murmured as he ran his fingers through my hair. "Don't feel like I'm about to die, so that's something at least."

I laughed a little before I winced at the sound of my own laughter.

"I thought you gave me painkillers, Ollie," I whined slightly, looking up at him from where I'd set my head on Jay's chest.

He rolled his eyes. "They're medicine, not magic. They won't be instantaneous."

"But you can do everything, can't you make this headache go away?"

Ollie smiled curiously. "What have I done that makes you think I can do everything?"

"You're... you. You do everything for Finn, sort out the house. You're a wizard, Ollie."

"Can we stop with the Harry Potter references?" Jay said. I looked up at him; his eyes were closed and he was resting his head back on the pillow.

Ollie laughed slightly. "Don't be grumpy."

"I'm back!" Finn called from downstairs somewhere.

Jay and I groaned at the same time while Ollie just grinned widely, jumped up and bound out of the room.

"He is way too excited for this early in the morning," Jay muttered with a small sigh.

"It's, like, midday or something," I replied quietly.

"Actually it's about ten but whatever. Don't you have college or something?"

"Probably... Fuck school right now..."

"Kaidan, don't say that," he scolded half-heartedly. "You have an amazing future, you shouldn't be treating it with such disregard."

"But-- Never mind." I managed to catch myself before I said that I'd rather have him in my future than a job. Didn't think that would have gone down well, especially when he's got a hangover.

Suddenly there was a bark and something heavy, loud and wet jumped on top of me, scratching my chest.

"Jasmine! Get back here!" Finn shouted from down the hall.

The thing barked again and was gone, but not before it had managed to soak us and the bed we were in.

"Fucking dog," Jay whispered, squeezing his eyes shut.

I looked towards the door, ignoring the pounding in my head. Ollie was kneeling on the ground, towelling off an excited greyhound that wouldn't stop rolling over and over, thinking Ollie was trying to play. After a few moments, Ollie sat back and she ran at us again, jumping on top of us, over us, around us, anywhere she could get her small paws.

She pushed her cold, wet nose against me, sniffing at me before she eventually lay down on top of me so her head was near Jay. He didn't stop her from licking his chin but the frown on his face said that he wasn't happy about it. I shuffled until I managed to get free, pulling myself up to sit and cross my legs.

"Jas, this seriously isn't appreciated right now," he sighed.

"You know how she loves you, Jay," Finn said from the door, grinning.

Jay didn't reply. He just stuck his middle finger up at Finn, who chuckled and walked over.

"How are you two feeling? Has Ollie been taking care of you?" he asked, smiling slightly.

"Of course he has," Jay said with a roll of his eyes. "When does he not fuss about people when they're in his house?"

Finn chuckled softly and turned to look at Ollie. "Have you done your chores yet?"