6 Marinette

Marinette sat on her bed, worrying.

What did I just do? I thought I was over Chat Noir. Then I go with him around the town and then he brought me home and we almost...

Marinette replayed the image of Chat Noir bringing her in so close. She smiled thinking about it.

No, Marinette. You can't lead him on. You already sort of did with Adrien. You finally have a chance with your crush.

Marinette managed to calm her brain down and get some sleep before her alarm went off for school.

"How are you feeling today, Marinette?" Tikki asked.

"Exhausted and confused. Hopefully, I can just work with Adrien and enjoy myself."

"That's the spirit!"

Marinette tried her best to smile. She got dressed and ran downstairs for breakfast.

"Good morning, sweetie," Sabine said with a smile.

"Good morning, Mom."

Marinette's mom made her waffles and hand-squeezed orange juice. Marinette's parents were the best bakers in Paris, which came in handy sometimes.

"Here you go. I made fresh croissants this morning. You can eat them when you're doing your big project," Sabine said with a smile. "I heard you're working with Adrien. How exciting!"

Marinette choked on her juice. "Mom!" Marinette blushed and stood up. "I should go. I'll be late. Bye."

Marinette cleaned up and was headed for the door.

"Bye, love you!" Her mom waved.

Marinette smiled. "Love you too."

"Bye my little macaroon," Tom called out from the kitchen bakery.

"Bye, Dad," Marinette said before heading to school.
...

"I bet you can't wait to be sitting next to Adrien and studying with him," Alya taunted.

"You know me so well," Marinette joked back.

Marinette and Alya were walking to class together. Marinette decided that it was best to forget about Chat Noir's visit and focus on Adrien...for now at least.

"Alright class, get with your partner and head to the library to start your project," Miss Bustier announced. "If you forgot what the project was, it's what you think the greatest force on Earth is. You need to write a report about it, present a presentation, and create something that represents that force such as food, or an object. You have two weeks. If I were you, I'd get started right away."

Marinette found Adrien hunched over his chair looking down. He looked...sad. Marinette looked at Nino for advice. He just gave her a shrug and followed Alya to the library.

"Are you okay, A-Adrien?" Marinette asked stepping closer to him.

As if snapping out of a daze, Adrien looked at Marinette and smiled. "Yeah, I'm just...confused."

"Do you know what helps?"

"What?"

"Food. I have some fresh croissants that we can eat in the library."

Adrien beamed. "Nothing has ever sounded better."

They walked together, reaching the library after several flights of stairs. Marinette and Adrien decided to sit in the middle of two bookshelves. They chowed down on the croissants then discussed what force they were going to choose.

"Well, superheroes have powerful forces," Marinette suggested.

"But we only need one force," Adrien commented.

"What about elements? Like fire and water?" Marinette asked.

"That sounds good, but...eh. Maybe we need a new perspective. Not physical."

Marinette knit her eyebrows together. "Like mental or emotion wise?"

"Yeah," Adrien confirmed.

They thought for a while until a spark hit them both. "Love!" they said at the same time.

"Could you be a little bit quieter? Some people are actually trying to work!" Chloe exaggerated.

Adrien and Marinette blushed.

"I know a book that might help us. Let me go get it." 

Adrien hopped out of his seat and went searching for the book. He came back with a big novel and sat right next to Marinette. Adrien opened it and started flipping pages. He stopped and turned towards Marinette.

"There's something that I've been meaning to tell you, actually," Adrien said.

Marinette was sweating bullets.

What does Adrien want to tell me? Is it bad? Does he not like me? Where's Alya when you need her?

"Mmm?" Marinette mumbled, her words gone.

"Well, I c-can't really um...explain..." Adrien took a deep breath and finished what he was trying to say.

Cliffhanger. *evil smirk* I hope you're enjoying the book so far, but I must warn you, sh*t is about to go down.
Bug Out.

-CringeWorthyaf
728 words