Making up

Evie was alone in her room that night. She looked out the high window to see the golden moon shining down on her. She had not lit a candle. She had not spent time with Richard even though he wanted to see her. Evie was so glad that Cara had seemed to understand. So glad she seemed sympathetic. After that talk with her about her and Richard and the possibility of her being pregnant, she felt a renewed appreciation for her sister. Cara had not berated her for her tryst with Richard, she had not become angry, and she did not demean her in any way for her behavior. Yet she was concerned for her and told her some things she didn't know about intimacy. About having a baby.

Evie had scarcely seen Richard since they had been together in her bed. She didn't quite know what to make of her own thoughts. Cara had clarified some things for her, but not all. She still desired Richard and she knew he desired her. Yet propriety and her personal esteem depended on waiting for the proper time. Otherwise, she knew heads would talk and gossip would fly.

On the other hand, she loved Richard, and her willingness to give up her virginity was a sign of that. As she thought of that she smiled. She couldn't blame Richard. No, she probably wanted it as much as he did. She knew that much about herself. She was always one to go full speed toward whatever she wanted, and she wanted Richard.

But now she would have to wait. Wait until the wedding. He would have to wait too. She needed to talk with him and more than that they would have to be more restrained with each other. That is until at last their wedding day. Oh, she hoped that King Trent and the army would soon return. With the enemy gone, she could send a quick courier to her father's realm and hope that her family could attend the wedding. How she looked forward to that day!

The next morning Evie went to breakfast in the great hall. She had skipped super, not wanting to see Richard, and now was starving. She went to the serving line, got her trencher, and had a large cheese and vegetable omelet with fresh bread and fruit. Her drink was the usual diluted wine. What everyone drank except babies. Then she saw Richard coming toward her.

"Hi," he said.

"Hi."

"Ok if I sit with you?"

"Yes."

"Have you been avoiding me?"

"Well, kind of."

"Evie, I don't understand."

Evie shook her head sadly. "Aren't you going to get some food?"

"Well, yes. But I'm almost afraid if I do you'll be gone. We need to talk."

She smiled at him. "Go ahead; I'm not going to leave."

"Ok, I'll be right back."

"Evie waited, mechanically raising food to her mouth, her thoughts confused.

Richard returned, and standing above her after putting his trencher down, he said, "I'm sorry," before taking a seat across from her.

"Oh, Richard, it's not your fault, not yours alone. I gave myself to you."

"But the last thing I wanted was for it to cause us regret. I care about you, Evie."

"Oh, I know, Richard. I care about you. Very much," she added, looking into his eyes. "I told my sister."

"Really? It was just you and me. Why would you have told your sister?"

"Because I was so much afraid I might be pregnant."

"Oh, Evie," he said, reaching out to take her hand in his. Looking at her straight in the eyes he said, "Would you so much mind if we had a child together?"

Evie was taken aback. Of course, she didn't mind. She wanted them to be a family. "Dear Richard, I want to be with you and share everything with you. It's just that now. . . I mean before we are married. . ."

Richard left his side of the bench on the other side of the table and came to sit beside Evie. He put his arm around her. "Evie, I want to do right by you. I think I understand your concern about having a child too soon. I know people talk, especially women."

"Yes, they do, Richard," she answered, looking up into his eyes. "And besides, the church says what we did is wrong."

Richard shook his head, his arm still around Evie. "Evie, what we did was beautiful. I know, maybe we should have waited. But, Evie, I think our love is very strong. I would love you even without that."

Evie looked at Richard and saw the sincerity in his eyes. She felt great emotion in her heart. "I love you too, Richard. Very much." She turned her head to him as he lowered his to hers. They kissed gently. Then, after parting briefly, they sought each other's lips again.

* * *

Cara entered the hall pushing Kirah and Brendan in the stroller a craftsman had made for them. It was the first time she had taken her children to the hall where almost all those in the castle took their meals. She almost immediately saw Evie and Richard at the far end. They were alone with no one else seated near them. She went in their direction and saw them kissing. Afraid she would be interrupting, she thought about turning toward the other side of the hall but nevertheless went toward them.

Evie saw her first, and noticing she had Kirah and Brendan she said, "Hi, Cara. I see you've brought the children."

"Ah yes, the first time for them. I think they're old enough now to eat what everyone else does."

Evie had left Richard's embrace to reach out toward the children. Bending down to them she said, "Look at you two." Turning back to Richard she added, "Look at them, Richard, "Aren't they darlings?"

Richard peered over at them. "Yes, they are."

"Cara, this is so nice a thing that your carpenter built for you. It's just so lovely how you can so easily take them with you. What do you call it?

"Ernst just calls it a child mover, but to me it's a stroller. It lets me walk or stroll taking both children with me."

"Stroller. I like that." She looked back at her fiancé. "We should have one built when we have a child or two don't you think, Richard?"

"To me it would be easier just to put a baby in a pouch with straps over the shoulder, but if you want one, Evie, we will get one," he answered.

Evie looked back at Richard and mouthed the words, "Thank you."

Then, Justin entered the hall. All eyes turned to him, mainly because he was walking so slowly with the aid of a staff in each hand.

Hope you liked this part. We writers don't get money but love it when you click on the star to show you enjoy what we write. Thanks so much.