That girl! and Justin

Cara felt so uneasy, but the worst time was when she was awake and the children were sleeping. When she was with them, she thought of them, played with them, prepared them their little meals and talked to them. They were growing so much aware of things and were even saying a few words like, "mama" that affected her like nothing else could.

But when they were asleep, during the time she herself should be sleeping, she was awake too much, thinking about Justin and also of Trent. She had been down to the operations center to see Justin already three times, each time after going for Heidi to stay with the children. But Justin still had not awakened from the coma he was in. The doctors seemed as if they could tell her nothing other than, "It will have to take its course with him, my lady."

Yes, that's what they told her which only meant that they didn't know if Justin would come out of his sleep or never again see the light of day. It made Cara so sad to think of this. And with Justin in this state she thought of Trent and the danger he faced. She was so afraid for him as well. Oh, how she waited to hear from some courier or messenger that the battle with the Magyars had been won or that peace had somehow been achieved.

Cara knew that she was all nerves lately, except when she was with the children. Things bothered her that normally didn't. Right now, it was her own sister Evie that came to her mind. Evie hadn't come to see her and the children the day they returned but Cara could understand why because she and the knights had ridden through the night to arrive at the castle. But now, it was the next day. Just then, Cara heard the special knock on the door before her sister entered.

"Evie, so good to see you! I have been thinking of you and what you must have gone through in the hands of the enemy before you were rescued."

"Terrible," Evie said in one word before taking notice of Kirah and Brendan, one on the floor playing with some shapes and the other nestled in Cara's lap. "How happy I am to see you and the children," she said before taking a place on the floor next to Brendan and giving him a hug. "What are you working on today, Brendan?"

The child picked up one his handcrafted wooden pieces to show to his Aunt Evie.

"Cara, you can't believe how normal it feels to be back here with you and the children after living in fear and not knowing what was going to happen next."

"I can imagine how traumatic that must have been for you, Evie. They didn't hurt you in any way did they?"

"No, they learned of my skill with the bow and Farkas, that's their main guy, took me and Stefan and some of their archers to a place away from the army for target practice. I actually beat his best archers. Then he wanted it to be just me and him shooting."

Cara noted that Kirah was getting restless on her lap, and said to her baby girl, "Soon, Kirah. Soon it will be time for lunch." Addressing Evie, she said, "The guy named Farkas must have really been impressed with you, especially a girl."

"Yes, so much that he wanted me to join his harem," Evie replied, shaking her head with revulsion. Yet the good thing is he might be dead now."

Cara leaned forward. "Really! You mean when Trent and his knights attacked he could have been one of those killed?"

"Could have been. It was dark and I could only see three of them lying on the ground and Justin. Who knows?"

Cara could hardly hold her breath. "Evie, if he was truly their commander in chief and he was killed that could end the war with the Magyars right there. Many an army has disbanded when their leader is killed."

"I didn't know that. You mean the war could be over?"

Still holding Kirah, Cara got up from the divan to give Evie a hug. "Evie, this is the best news yet. Trent and the army might soon be coming home!"

"Wonderful, Cara. I truly hope so. But Justin, do you know anything more of Justin?"

Cara shook her head sadly. No, his condition has not changed, Evie. He seems barely alive but the doctors hold out hope for him, at least when they talk to me."

"So sad. I don't know what to say."

Evie left and Cara made a lunch for her children. What they had talked about remained vividly in her mind. Especially that there was a chance that Trent might soon be coming home. And their short discussion about Justin. That too remained on her mind.

It was later in the day, and Cara had put Kirah and Brendan down for their afternoon nap. She felt the need to escape, that is to go somewhere else. Calling in Heidi to stay in her suite with the sleeping children, she went up to the balcony where she could sit in the sunshine and look down on the courtyard. It was a favorite spot of hers. When she got there she saw Evie, wrapped in the arms of Richard. They were passionately kissing.

Cara tiptoed away quietly, not wishing to disturb them. It was not the first time she had seen them in amorous displays of affection. Even her friend Elke had mentioned it. Having left the balcony, Cara shook her head. It seemed her sister had no idea of what was appropriate for royalty. Either that or she just didn't care. She was acting like a commoner in her manners. She remembered what Elke had said, "Once they are married they will do all that in the privacy of their own home."

But was she herself being prudish? As much as she loved Trent she had never carried on with him in public like Evie and Richard. Still thinking about it she returned to her suite and her children.

* * *

That night she was wakeful again. Was it the strong wind that disturbed her? She opened a shutter and looked out. An almost full moon greeted her and thin clouds raced by it, partially obscuring it and then clearing to let it shine brightly.

She thought of Justin and then tried to forget him to no avail. Realizing she would have trouble getting back to sleep she put on her robe and stepped out. The guard was there. She whispered, "I'm going to take a look at Justin."

She went through the halls and down the stairs and saw a dim light coming from the hospital area. Slipping through the door, a woman moved to stand in her way until she realized it was she. She went into Justin's room. There was another woman already there.

"I'm so sorry," she whispered to Gianna, the woman who would be Justin's bride. She joined her in kneeling at his bedside. "Any change?" she asked softly.

Gianna nodded her head no. The two women looked on at Justin who by candlelight seemed as if he were only asleep. Cara reached to take his hand and squeezed it telling him, "We're both here for you. Say something to us, Justin. Say anything." She looked a moment longer at Justin and then closed her eyes in prayer.

A moment later Gianna suddenly took her hand, squeezing it tightly. Cara looked at her and saw that she was looking intently at Justin. Cara turned to see what she was staring at. Then she saw it too. Justin's eyes were open!