Awakening hope

When they approached the operations center, they heard, even before they opened the door, the cries of men in pain. Nuns were attending to them, helped by volunteers, but to Cara, the scene was one of suffering and confusion. She wondered where she would find Trent. A thoughtful nurse showed her and Gianna the way.

She led her to a partially open room where only Trent and one other man lay on separate beds. Trent's father, the king, was there sitting on a rattan chair and by him was Daniel, Trent's best friend, who stood looking down at him. Cara approached and the king raised his eyes toward her but he said nothing. Daniel acknowledged her and Gianna's presence. Cara had never seen him look so sad.

She went to the bed and stood over Trent, looking down at his lifeless body. She could see that he was breathing, but that was all. His color seemed unnaturally white, as if the blood had drained out of him. Cara stood looking at him, and then she reached out and put her fingers on his forearm. Surprised, that his arm seemed cold, she looked up questioningly to Daniel. "He is in a coma. The doctors seem to have no idea if or when he will come out of it."

Cara looked to Daniel hoping he would say more. She wanted to know how it could have happened, but then what did it really matter? She looked down lovingly at Trent, his face calm even in his present condition. His lips were curved a little, as if he was beginning to smile. He could have been sleeping. The large bandage on his head told her as much as she wanted to know.

She stood there in silence looking down at Trent. At times, her glance carried to his father whose bowed head scarcely moved. After a time, Daniel's voice entered her reverie, and she looked up at him. "I'll get you a chair, Cara," he said. She nodded and turned back toward Trent, until Daniel came back with two small chairs, one for her and one for Gianna.

"Thank you."

Cara stayed there for a long time, mostly with her head bowed. She looked up from time to time at Trent, but saw no change in him. His father left, then Gianna, and finally Daniel. Now she was alone with Trent. She watched his shallow breathing, and she hoped and prayed that he would awaken. It was not to be, and silently she rose from her chair and went back.

Later, she left her suite, as she was hungry. She couldn't remember if she had eaten anything all day. She went to the serving tables in the great hall, and on her own chose from what was there to eat. Daniel came in, and spotting her, he also selected some food. "Do you mind if I join you," he asked.

"No, of course not," she answered, though she was hardly in a mood to talk. They sat down together at a table where they were the only ones there. Cara glanced at Daniel. He too seemed in a somber mood.

"This must be hard for you," he said.

"It is hard for us all," she answered. She saw him look at her, and she felt a kindness in his demeanor.

"Yes, for us all," he sighed. Then, looking directly into her eyes, he added, "But you are, or were to be his bride. It is the only reason you are here."

"I think you mean to be kind, Daniel, But what you are saying is not helping. Yes, I know that." She looked at him, mildly angry.

"I'm sorry, my lady." Cara sensed the genuineness of his words. She thought to herself that maybe she had been rude. Still, there was nothing she wanted to say further.

With resignation in his voice, he added, "I may be losing my best friend."

Cara seized on the word "may." "Daniel, please tell me what you know about his condition."

"I'm sorry, Cara. I don't know much. Only that the doctor in talking to me and his parents said that he is in a coma and even with their medical knowledge they cannot say when or if he will come out of it. His future is out of their hands."

"I see. There is hope then. His lifelessness now may change and he can once again be the man who asked for my hand."

"Yes, my lady. It is possible. "

"Then let us hope and pray for that."

Cara sensed that there were things that Daniel had not told her. Not only that Trent might not recover, but that even if he did recover he might not be the same. But she forcefully thrust those thoughts from her mind.

She finished eating, and leaving Daniel made her way quietly to her apartment. Once inside, she thought about what he was starting to discuss with her. Yes, she was only brought here to be his bride. She was here in Bavaria for no other reason. And, if Trent did not live? Suddenly, it came over her that she would want to go back. She wanted to go back to her father and her brother and her darling little sister Evie. How she missed them. She had been happy there, unmarried. But on the other hand, she would not want to stay unmarried.

Suddenly, Justin came to mind. She had been able say what she thought to him and he always seemed to understand. Though beneath her, there was ever something about him. In another life. . ., she sighed, leaving the thought unfinished. Now he was a knight, a royal knight. And now her new friend, Gianna wanted him. Oh, yes, she knew she wanted him. Oh, why was life so complicated? Why didn't Trent wake up and be the man she was ready to marry?

Cara realized after a while that her thoughts were only going around in circles. She got off her bed and walked to the door. Then returned a moment later to get her shawl. Already, the corridor was mostly dark as the daylight had faded and night had begun. Only far spaced candles on the walls dimly lit the way. On arriving at the operations center, she was glad that things were now mostly quiet. She entered, and in the shadowy light saw a nun at a man's side, giving him something to drink.

She moved toward the separate room where she knew Trent was lying. On entering, she saw that a candle on the wall gave dim light to the figure who rested unmoving on the bed. Hidden, almost in the shadows was his mother, her head bowed such that Cara couldn't see her face. On her approach, she raised her eyes up to Cara and Cara could see in the dim light her tear stained visage. Cara reached a hand out to her, and she took it, rising from her chair. Looking into Cara eyes, Trent's mother said, "Pray for him, Cara." Then, she slowly walked from the room, the door closing after her.

Cara felt the strong emotion of the older woman for her son. She could imagine that it would be terrible to bury a son, one so full of life. She turned toward Trent and saw him lying there, unchanged from the last time she had seen him. No one else was around, and she bent down, her face close to his. She grasped his hand in hers. "Trent," she said to him in a soft voice. "Your mother was just here. Your mother loves you very much." Cara hesitated then continued. "I love you very much. Can you hear me Trent? Trent. . .Oh my God!" she gasped. Had she felt Trent's fingers tighten on her own?