Not what they expected!

Though she seemed to be soothing her stomach, it made Cara nervous at how the midwife was looking at her. Then, the woman began pressing her fingers more into her stomach which to Cara still seemed very large for having delivered her baby. Cara wondered why she seemed to be pressing so deep upon her midsection. Suddenly the midwife looked up, and eyed her with a smile. "Girl, you've got another baby in there!" She quickly corrected herself, saying, "I mean, my lady."

Cara looked at her in disbelief. "Oh my God! Do you really think so?"

With confidence, she answered. "I think this is a sure thing."

Cara looked to Trent, momentarily wondering how he would take the news.

His smile told her all she needed to know. But she had an urgent question to ask of her attendant. "Miss, do you mean?. . ." She stopped in midsentence as another of the distressing compressions of her stomach came over her. Breathing in short inhalations she concentrated on thinking of happy things, and looked to Trent for support. When it passed she asked the midwife the question that was so much on her mind. "Surely I won't have to go all through labor again?"

"Oh no, my lady. Your body has delivered one baby already. You won't have to go through all that again. It's just that you'll need to push your second child out as well. But from the few times I've seen before it shouldn't take long. In fact, we need to get you right back on the birthing chair."

Cara was so glad to learn she didn't have to go through the whole thing again. She let Trent and the midwife and her assistant help her to get on the chair once again.

"OK, my lady. Just push hard like you did before and soon we will see what your second baby looks like."

Knowing it wouldn't be too long, Cara felt renewed energy and purpose, and with Trent and the midwife's assistant holding her on her right and left she pressed down with force as each contraction came.

"He's coming!" said the midwife who was already in position for the fateful moment of birth. "Oh, yes, my child, come into my waiting arms!"

Cara was fully aware of what was happening, for she had just been through delivery not long before. But she couldn't see, only feel, and asked. "What do you see?"

"His head is already out. One or two more pushes and your child will be born."

Cara complied. No one wanted her baby to be born more than her.

"Ah, there he is!" said the midwife, taking the child carefully into her arms. "No! she said, excitement in her voice. "It's a girl!"

Cara could hardly restrain her joy even as the midwife took the baby away to clean her up. She had secretly wanted a girl though she had never said anything to Trent for she knew without a doubt that he wanted a son. "Oh, honey," she said, looking up into Trent's eyes. "Can you believe it? Both a son and a daughter!"

"No, I can't believe it. This is too good to be true!"

Cara saw a tear of joy gleaming in his eye and while still sitting on the birthing chair she leaned toward him, touching his neck as he bent down to kiss her. It was an awkward position for them both, but no matter, their eyes showed radiance as they gazed at each other.

Soon, after the afterbirth came, Cara was assisted back to her bed, though she told them she felt she could do it herself. Already, without her two babies she felt lighter. However there was still some remaining pain from where she had delivered her children and she certainly welcomed being able to lie on her bed. The midwife made her comfortable with pillows so she could sit up and returned her son to her and very soon her daughter as well. She and Trent looked at them lovingly, marveling at the new life they had created.

Cara's friends had been quick to congratulate her on the birth of fraternal twins as did Trent's mother. But amidst all the talk that was going on among them on witnessing such an extraordinary event, his mother, now standing at her side looking down at her on the bed said to her, "Cara, now you must get a wet nurse. You cannot possibly nurse two yourself."

Cara was tired after what she had done. Besides, she didn't like Trent's mother's insistent tone. What she wanted now was rest and to be with her babies. Fortunately, Trent spoke up. "Mother, let Cara rest now. Give her some time before she has to make another decision. I think you mean to be helpful but would you please back off?"

Cara was so proud of Trent for speaking that way to his mother. And she had to hold in a smile trying to escape from her lips as she saw the former queen start to reply and then quietly turn away. Trent had said exactly the right thing.

Now that it was over, the women were gathering their things before taking their leave. Gianna told her, "I have some idea now of what to expect, though I truly hope to have one at a time. Such beautiful babies. You both should be proud."

Elke told her, "It was simply wonderful, Cara, and you were so brave. Two at once I know was not easy. I will leave you, but ere long we must talk. It is so exciting to have a little one and now you have two."

"Yes, after I rest I would love to talk with you, Elke. You are so much more experienced with children and I'm sure to have many questions."

Even the midwife and her assistant said their goodbyes, after wrapping both infants in swaddling clothes. The older of the two said she would return later to help with changing the babies, though after that she would leave Trent and Cara to themselves through the night.

Cara was relieved to know that. There was no one in the world she wanted to be alone with than Trent. As the last of the women left, Cara looked at Trent with love in her eyes. "You did this to me, sir. Now, look at what we have created."

Trent put his hands next to her bare skin and lifted his daughter high up in the air close to his face. Speaking directly to the baby he said, "So a girl. That we did not expect. How beautiful you are my little one. But what shall we name you?" Smiling at the child in his hands he looked down at Cara who was comfortably sitting up on pillows on the bed. Already, her son had latched on and was breastfeeding.

Cara looked up at him. "I don't know, Trent. I haven't thought at all of a name for a daughter. We must ask our friends for ideas before we decide. And we must name our son too."

Well! Two children! A huge event in any couples life. If you have witnessed a birth you know just how amazing it is. But they need names. Anyone have suggestions?