She doesn't want him to

So far, Trent had not felt what she had, and though she had told him, she longed for him to be there at a time when she could feel their baby move. For days now, she had experienced it, making her feel connected to the small person inside her. On this night, Trent came late to their suite, because of another important meeting, and as always she welcomed his presence.

"My sweet," he said, coming to kiss her. "I'm glad to be home. Home where I can forget about concerns of other nations that may pose a threat to us. Home, where you are here with our child. I brought you something."

Cara had stood up to greet him, and she took his cloth covered offering, holding it up to her nose before opening it. "Ah, I think I know what this is." She proceeded to unwrap it, and seeing it was her favorite desert she set it down at the table and thanked Trent, wrapping her arms around him. "Thank you. You brought back so much, we should eat it together."

"Maybe later. I'm not hungry now." He sat down in his favorite chair where she joined him, sitting crossways on his lap so that their heads were not far apart.

"I'll wait until later too. Do you know, I felt our baby move again today. I think he's getting stronger."

"He? Do you know already that it's a boy?"

"That's what Inga thinks." She realized then that he didn't recognize the woman. "You know, the midwife that is going to help when our baby is born."

"Really? She thinks she can tell it is a boy already?"

"That's what she is telling me. I mean she laid her head on my stomach listening to his heart beat and everything."

"Wonderful! A son. Somehow I always thought our first would would be a girl-like her mother. But I like the idea of a son. We will be able to do great things together. I will teach him everything I know. Oh, I can imagine us now riding on the trail together. . ."

"Oh yes, and he will grow up so handsome, like you. Ah, Trent, we must think of a name for him, I mean if Inga is right that he will be a boy."

"Yes, something historical, something grand, a strong name for our son."

Cara leaned back in Trent's arms, a thought developing in her head. "I know," she said with assurance. "We should name him Trent."

"Trent! My name. I don't know about that, Cara. I mean with the same name there is bound to be confusion. I mean he would be Trent II, but that is so formal when it is just our family together."

"But I love your name, Trent. It is so strong, like you, and so easy as well."

Trent moved his head to give Cara a peck on the cheek. "Well, I'm glad you like my name. But the thing is, Cara, I'm going to get old in time. I would hardly want people to refer to me as "old Trent" and our son as "young Trent."

Cara threw her head back in a laugh. "Oh, Trent, you will never be "old Trent" to me. I can hardly imagine that."

"Still, let's think of another name."

There was a sharp knock on the door. Trent let Cara slide off of him and went to answer it. She heard whispering and then the door was closed and Trent came back to her. "Trouble," he said.

Cara looked at him, trying to read in his expression what the matter was. "Trouble? What does that mean?"

Trent shook his head. "It's on our northern frontier. Incursions by the Vikings. They've raided, pillaged, and looted, leaving Wurzburg as well as some villages in flames. We've got to stop them!"

Cara came to him, standing before him. "Trent, not you. Tell me you don't have to go."

He put a hand on her shoulder. "Cara, they are formidable opponent. I cannot just send a contingent of knights. The enemy must know that they are up against the army of the king. They must know that the land of Bavaria is off limits for them. Cara, those people only understand force."

"But Trent, I know your leg is better now, but you are not well enough to face the enemy in battle. You need to leave our army under the control of someone else."

"Cara, I will be on horseback. It is very unlikely that I would have to fight on foot. You worry too much. Under my command we can defeat these Vikings and discourage them from ever returning to our land."

To her dismay, Cara realized there was little she could say to discourage Trent from going off to fight. Maybe she should have been aware that in marrying a prince, who was now a king, it was part of the uncertain life she had accepted. It was not what she wanted. Instead, she wanted peace. She wanted the people of her dominion to be happy and to live good lives unafraid of marauders who come in the night to rob and pillage and rape. This was not what she wanted. But why did Trent have to be the one who would set things right? Why did he have to be the one to risk his life?

Cara was distressed and Trent could see it in her eyes. He tried to lessen her concern, telling her that the enemy forces were far inferior to their own, and that likely only one major battle would be needed to defeat them and send them back to the Northlands from where they came. He told her he would take every precaution, for more than anything he wanted to be back home with her and their baby who would be coming soon. He told her it was something he had to do, and that to do otherwise would be cowardly and would send the wrong message both to their own army and to the enemy. In the end, he kissed her tenderly and lay with her, but still didn't feel that she was much comforted. As he thought about it, he himself would have preferred not to go on this mission. If it had been a lesser attack, he might have delegated the task to someone else, but that was hardly possible considering the ferocity of enemy attack and their overrunning the northern borders of the kingdom.

Finally, they fell asleep in each others arms. Trent was up early to get ready to put on his battle armor and lead his forces. Cara heard him, and stood facing him before he walked out the door. "Were you going to leave me without a goodbye?"

Trent turned to her and she rushed into his arms. He held her tight, not wanting to let her go. He regretted that he had to leave her. And yet he felt it was something he had to do.

"Trent," she said, excitement in her voice. "Our baby. Put your hand here on my stomach and at last you will feel him too."

Trent looked into her eyes and placed his hand there where she told him. "Cara, I feel him! He is really kicking!"

"That's our son," she said, smiling at her husband, but only for a moment as she again felt deep concern for Trent.

Trent took her in his arms, and holding her tight kissed her one last time. Releasing her, in a soft voice he said to her. "Do not fear for I will come back to be with you and our son." With that, he walked out the door.