"I love you"

At first, she did what he said and went to her residence. But she didn't stay there long. The sounds of fighting, the cries of the wounded and dying, the clashing of swords was too much for her. She could not allow herself to stay in relative safety, that is unless the walls were breached, while life and death was going on outside. She had to see for herself what was going on. She had to see if Trent and Justin were all right.

She went to the walls and despite all the noise she managed to ask of knights where Trent and Justin might be. They told her, hastily, while they worked on whatever they were doing. Something, she thought to throw down on the attackers attempting to climb the walls. Rushing along on top she at last found Trent. She was glad to know that he was all right. On seeing her, he waved her back, looking at her briefly, but hardly taking his eyes off the enemy below. "Go back!" he said. "It's not safe for you here!"

Cara surveyed the men who fought on the wall with Trent, but she didn't see Justin. "Where is Justin," she had the temerity to ask him.

"Go back!" he reiterated. "Justin's further down, but don't try to go there." He took his eyes off the enemy and glanced back at Cara. Finally, appearing frustrated, he ducked his head down and came to her. He motioned her to kneel, and then kneeling down himself in front of her he said, "Cara, they have been shooting arrows, and could start again at anytime. It is not safe for anyone, especially you without any armor or protection. I care for you too much to lose you now to an enemy arrow."

Cara looked into Trent's eyes. She saw how he was pleading with her for her own safety. She realized that he was not afraid to risk his own life, but was concerned about hers. As much as she wanted to do something, anything she could to aid in the battle, she felt that Trent felt protective of her and wanted her to be safe. She was moved by his care for her, and in sudden burst of feeling she put her hand on his helmet, lifted his visor and kissed him. Then she said to him, "I'll go now, Trent, but you be careful. I will be praying for you. I love you."

Trent took her into his arms and she felt his hard armor as he held her close."I love you too." Then, as he rose to leave her, he said again, "Go now, Cara. Go back where you will be safe."

Cara felt it was hard for her to leave him, but at his words, she began backing away, going toward the relative safety of the castle. She could not but look at him as she did so, and she saw him watching her as well until she stepped inside the door. Then, she stood there, not moving, only thinking, though others were moving around her. He loved her and she loved him. They had never spoken of love before. She continued toward her apartment almost in a daze as the full realization of what had just happened hit her. Why had they waited until now? Why until his life was in danger did she wait to say what she did?

Back in her apartment, Cara scarcely knew what to do. The sound of the battle outside came to her muted through the walls. She paced back and forth in her spacious living quarters, wondering if there was anything at all that a woman could do. She heard a knock on her door. She went immediately to open it, then thought better of it in case one of the enemy had managed to gain entry. "Who is it?"

"Gianna," came the whispered reply.

Cara opened the door immediately to face a girl who at this moment in time looked none too princess like. "Gianna, are you all right?"

"Who can be all right when the enemy is attacking and Justin is at the walls risking his life? And Trent too," she added, no doubt thinking of Cara.

"Yes, I know. Come in, Gianna. Sit down." Cara remembered to be courteous, though she had not spent any time sitting herself since coming back from the defensive wall.

Gianna sat on one of the divans and Cara sat immediately across from her. There was no doubt in her mind that the girl was upset, possibly more than herself. Yet she had to ask, "Have you known Justin long?"

"No, not long," she answered, raising her head to speak though it had been lowered in her fear for Justin. "Someone told me that he was your stable boy before he grew to manhood. Is that really true?"

Cara looked at Gianna, and saw the perfect openness of her question. "It's true. He was. He came with me here to take care of my five horses. Then, singlehandedly he rescued me and Gina from the Magyars."

Gianna rose from where she had been sitting and came toward Cara. Cara also rose.

In a soft voice, Gianna said, "He must care for you very much to have risked his life for you."

Cara turned her head away from Gianna's gaze. Looking toward the ground she spoke almost inaudibly. "Yes, though he knows I am promised to the prince." Cara could sense that Gianna's eyes were on her. She raised her head and turned to face her. Speaking with more certainty than she felt, she said. "He is a knight now. He is free." She could have added, he is free to choose whomever he wants.

Gianna continued to gaze at her, and Cara felt that the woman could sense her feelings.

Gianna said, "It is hard for us. God, let them both be safe! Is there nothing we can do but hide inside while the men fight?"

At those words, Cara suddenly realized that Gianna was like herself. Not one to hold back if anything could be done. "Sit down, Gianna. Let's think of something. Maybe there is something we can do."

I have the feeling they are going to think of something. What, is the question. Also, what will the Magyars do next? This may not be easy, but sometimes love grows when calamity strikes.