A secret kiss

A secret kiss

Cara listened to Alexander, but she had occasionally glanced toward the prince and his friend. When the friend looked toward her, as had the prince, she had a strong sense that she was the topic of their conversation. As much as she at the same tried to listen to the count, her curiosity was high. Why were they talking about her?

Eventually, they finished eating. During their meal together, she found Count Alexander rather long winded. By the time they left, the prince was gone. The count led her back to her suite. She wasn't surprised when he gave her peck on the cheek as he was leaving. Actually, she was glad it was nothing more than that. In all honesty, as much as the count was trying to be gracious, he wasn't doing anything for her. He was a kindly man, loved by his children it seemed, and maybe even by his people. But Cara had to admit that the man brought her no excitement. She hoped she would not have to become his bride.

Evie came into their suite soon after her. Actually, Cara had heard Evie and the Count's son talking in the hall before they entered. By the tenor of her sister's voice, she could tell that she was excited. There was a moment of silence outside, and then Evie burst through the door. The girl was practically swirling with excitement, a big smile lighting up her face.

"Oh, Cara, he is just the most," she hesitated for lack of words, "the most wonderful boy! Not boy, man. We had such a wonderful time, and all we did is talk. I learned much about him, and it has only whetted my appetite to learn more. Would that I were the one to have someone choose me, for with him. . ." she paused, "I could live happily forever. Cara, he is so wonderful!"

Cara took all this in, staring at her complete joy. She knew her sister, however, and knew that as high as she was right now, she could also be down. Though never for long. That was so loving about her; she almost always tended to look on the bright side of things. "I can see that Richard made quite an impression on you."

"Oh, yes, that for sure. He is so interesting. He actually brought his falcon with him and we are going falcon hunting together. That is if the prince ever lets us leave the manor."

"Yes, that order of his is getting on my nerves. I can't even ride like I always love to. I must ask father to have him let us have our freedom. After all, it's father's manor, not his."

"Do that, Cara, and soon. He will listen to you. And if you see the prince himself, talk to him. Surely the Magyars are still not the danger they were before. Surely by now they have moved on."

When her father came back, Cara sat down and talked with him while he was in the private room he used for his office. He understood, for he too wondered how long they would be kept from routine trips out of the manor. However, he said the prince had men who were scouting the enemy's whereabouts, and knew the latest information on them. He told Cara he would talk to him.

As for herself, Cara went back to her room. As night began to fall over the manor and countryside, she felt uneasy. One man wanted her, and there was another she could very well be interested in. Meaning, Prince Trent. She thought to herself, what woman wouldn't see him as the ultimate catch. Youthful, handsome, wealthy, with a powerful kingdom. Her thoughts then went to another. To the stable boy.

Oh, she should no longer call him a boy. He had definitely grown into a man as she herself had grown into a woman. Why did she continue to think of him? Sooner or later she would be gone from her father's estate likely to only see Justin when she came back to visit. Besides, he was not a noble or even a knight.

Cara had been deep in thought for some time, for when she looked out her window she saw darkness. Going toward the high placed window she looked through it and saw that a mist seemed to be wrapping itself around the nearly full moon. She hesitated, for a thought had come to her and she wasn't sure she should do what she was thinking. Then, unable to restrain herself any longer, she reached for a shawl from her garderobe to put over her head and shoulders and went down the hall to the lower level and out the heavy door. She was going to see Justin.

He saw her coming. "Good to see you once again, my lady."

"And you. I guess I know where to find you."

He came from within the stable until he was standing beside her. Pointing up above, he said, "Look at that strange moon, my lady. See how the mist is swirling around it. A beautiful and unusual sight."

"Yes, I saw it from my window."

He stood next to her and Cara felt he looked at her closely. "To what do I owe the pleasure of your visit?" he asked, speaking almost formally to her.

Cara knew her status well enough that she could not say, "I like you." Instead, she offered, "Must be the moon that made me think of taking a walk. And, here I am."

Justin smiled broadly at her words, his eyes seeming to her to twinkle in the moonlight. "In a small manor like ours word travels quickly. I understand your hand has been asked for-by a count."

"Ah, yes," she sighed. "An older count with a fifteen year old son. His wife died. I would be her replacement, I guess." She looked to Justin and saw that he seemed to be holding in mirth. "You find it funny, Justin?"

"Only at your words, my lady. Anyone could tell from how you speak of it that you are far from enamored at the prospect of marriage to this count. As you phrased it, "a replacement wife."

Cara was not pleased at what seemed like Justin's continued amusement at her situation. "Look, Justin!" she said spiritedly. "I didn't make up the rules of these marriage formalities. You as well as I know they are old history. It's not like I have a choice in the matter!"

"Oh, I understand, my lady. We are only pawns and fate moves us as it will. Come inside the stable, Cara."

She looked up at him questioningly, but followed him inside the large, darkened stable. Then he took her in his arms, his face inches from hers. He looked at her like that and she back at him, hers a look of surprise. Then he bent down and kissed her. It was not a long kiss, but afterwards so many things were going through Cara's mind. He began walking toward the entrance and she followed.

"I have wanted to do that for the longest time," he said.

Cara stood before him, her emotions and feelings strong but uncertain. "I didn't know," she managed to say.

"Now you know," he breathed. "Let it be our secret. Let it be my farewell to you."

"Justin, I. . ." She could say no more. Turning, she walked quickly back to the safety of her fortress suite. She needed to think. What was her restless heart saying to her?

Note: Maybe just a bit short, but seemed like the right place to end. Hope you liked this part. Any thoughts on who should win Cara--Justin or the prince? Your opinion could make a difference.