Not ready for this

Cara and Trent put away the few things left from Justin and Gianna's visit and by that time they were both ready to go to bed. However, stuck in Cara's mind was what Trent had said or really hadn't said about the early morning meeting. As they were both preparing for bed she asked him about it. "Trent, what was it about the special meeting that was called this morning?"

Trent turned to look at his wife and nodding his head said, "Cara, can we wait until morning to talk about it?"

"Well yes, of course, Trent. It's just that you're not telling us anything about it makes me and probably everyone else curious. You can't even give me a hint?"

Turning toward her to give her his full attention Trent said, "It's really better to wait, Cara. Wait until tomorrow and then I will fill you in completely."

Cara shook her head slowly, looked down for a moment and back up to face Trent. "I really don't see why you won't tell me, Trent."

Trent came toward her, standing very close. He put his hands on her hips as eye to eye they faced each other. Cara saw how serious he was about the matter. "Trust me, Cara. I know you. Believe me, it's better if we wait until tomorrow."

Cara shook her head slowly as if to say she didn't agree with him. Then she acquiesced. "OK, Trent. You will tell me tomorrow?"

"Yes, he said in agreement. "Yes, my beautiful wife, I will tell you tomorrow."

* * *

Cara didn't sleep as well as she usually did, and of course she knew the reason. She noted that Trent, however, slept well. When she did wake up, she found that Brendan and Kirah were also awake and she began attending to their needs. Trent awakened shortly after and they both spent some time  talking to their children. Then he said to her, "Cara, I'm sure you want to know about our meeting yesterday morning. "I'll stop by the hall, choose some things for our breakfast, and have them deliver it to us. Then there will be time for us to talk."

"Good. I like that idea, Trent."

Later, as they were all sitting around their breakfast table, Trent brought up about the subject of the meeting. Looking at Cara meaningfully, he told her, "I didn't want to say anything about it last night because I knew it would cause you to worry. And I know you well enough, my sweet wife, to know you would also have many questions."

Cara set down her drink. "Just tell me, Trent."

Trent also set down his drink. "It's happening in the largest city of the kingdom, Cara. In Augsburg people are getting sick, very sick, and some are dying. The disease or whatever it is seems to be spreading. Cara, we haven't seen anything this serious since the time of my grandfather."

Cara's eyes were already opened wide when she asked Trent, "Is the disease staying in Augsburg?"

"No, that's the problem. From what we have so far been able to find out it started in a small town nearby and has somehow spread to Augsburg. That is our concern. Augsburg is a large town in itself, but if it spreads throughout the whole kingdom. . ."

" I see," said Cara. "Trent, isn't there anything the doctors can do?"

"No. I wish there was. They have no medicine for it. All they can do is try to get the victim to rest and get them to drink enough water."

"Trent," she said to him. "This sounds very serious. I mean I've heard of diseases that strike down great numbers of people. Trent, tell me, surely it isn't as bad as that."

Trent shook his head. "We don't know yet, Cara. But we are going to find out. I have already sent two doctors, along with two other knowledgeable men to go there to find out more about it. Patrick is going to lead them. They will go swiftly on horseback and report back to me as soon as they can get more information."

"Trent, you're best friend, Patrick! Isn't he taking a tremendous risk that he will contract the disease or whatever it is if he goes there?"

"Yes, they all are. But there's nothing else we could have done. We need to find out more to either find a way to save lives or at least to try to prevent it's further spread throughout the kingdom. I've told them all to be careful, to try to avoid touching a sick person or even standing close enough to be breathed on and particularly to stay away if they cough."

"What a dangerous assignment.  I hope they return safely."

" I do too."

* * *

Two days later, in the evening, Patrick knocked on the door of Trent and Cara's suite. Trent went to the door as Cara was with the children. She was reading to them before putting them down for the night.

"Trent, I just returned from Augsburg. Thought you would want to know what we found out."

"You're OK? Thank you for checking it out."

"Yes. I'm fine, but one of our doctors has come down with it."

"Which one? I'm so sorry about that."

"Rainart. Already he is being treated as best we know how. Trent, here's what we have learned about it."

"Good, I want to know everything you've discovered. Have a seat, Patrick. I know you've been riding hard all day to make it back this evening."

Patrick sat down. "At first it starts out like a common cold."

Cara, very interested in what he had to say returned to where they were sitting holding their two children in her arms, each dressed in their pajamas.

"Here," said Trent. "I'll take Brendan." Then, each holding a child,  they listened to what Patrick had to say.

"Well," said Patrick, continuing. "You know how with a cold you often have a stuffy or runny nose and a general feeling of being cold. With this disease things quickly become much worse. A person with the disease soon becomes warm to the touch and very lethargic. Even previously healthy adults find themselves with no energy and only want to lie down on their bed. The afflicted can go from a sore throat to coughing and then suddenly become intensely cold and bundle themselves up in whatever blankets they have. They have no interest in eating or drinking; they just want to retire to their bed."

"Then what happens?" asked Trent.

"We've seen people in different stages of the disease. After a few days many get better, but unfortunately, some of the young children as well as many of the older people don't improve at all. They get worse, sometimes having great difficulty breathing, and the next step is usually  death."

Trent and Cara lowered their eyes to the child they each held in their arms. Trent saw that Cara's eyes had become tear filled as she held Kirah tight and rocked her gently.

"Surely, we will be able to protect our own children." she uttered.

"We will protect them!" said Trent, speaking loudly and emphasizing his words. Then he turned to Patrick. "Thank you for thoroughly checking this out, Patrick. We will meet again tomorrow morning to determine how best to prevent this cruel disease from spreading."  
"Yes, that we must do," affirmed Patrick before leaving. 

Cara, still holding Kirah tightly in her arms remembered Patrick's words about those afflicted who might not recover. She said to Trent, "My father is older too."

I know," he answered. "And so is my mother."

Note: Anyone know what this deadly disease could be? Hint: it is still with us today, though in present times more can be done for it.