Ready for love

Much later, after the reception ended, after she had said tender goodbyes to her father, brother and Evie, after saying goodbye to everyone else including the king and queen, they were alone in Trent's magnificent suite. Cara had seen it once, but only near the entrance. At this time of night, it was illuminated by the soft, intimate lighting of candles spaced at some distance apart from each other on the walls. Now, accompanied by Trent she took her time to look over his place, which would now be his and her home.

As they walked together, she admired the eloquently carved furniture in the main room, and then in his office, the dark, wide desk with cubbyholes where little finely carved statues rested. Passing another room she saw a large white table with six wooden chairs around it. Then, going further back she saw the entrance to the bedroom, and looking in, saw the huge canopy bed decorated with wide red, white and blue ribbons with flower petals strewn over the surface of the bed. Even from the doorway she delighted in inhaling the perfume arising from the flowers.

On seeing such grandeur in what was only a bed she glanced at Trent at her side and said. "Is that where you actually sleep?"

"Yes," he answered with a smile. "All alone, but not anymore."

Cara said nothing to that, but leaving the entrance to the bedroom went on to explore the rest of the magnificent apartment. But suddenly, she couldn't resist a strong urge to sneeze, and not having a cloth, covered her mouth with her hands. Trent made no note of it as they continued on to look at another bedroom, one not so grandly furnished. Leaving that, she came to a huge stone basin of water that gurgled a little, letting her know that it was being continually refreshed in some way she couldn't see. She dipped her hand into the water, finding it to be of a lukewarm temperature. She looked back at Trent who was staying close to her and smiled. It would be wonderful to always have fresh water at hand.

Then she went to look into the closets, and saw her clothes there.

"They moved your garments here just this afternoon while we were out," said Trent. Can I get you anything to drink? I also have some light pastries here you might like."

Cara nodded her head. She felt she had already had quite enough to drink and plenty to eat. Then she changed her mind, thinking that sipping a little wine might be pleasant on her breath. "A little light wine if you have it might be nice."

"Of course. I'll get it for you. Maybe I'll have some too. How about if we drink from the same glass? I mean, since we're now married."

Cara glanced at him whimsically before he left to get the wine. In a way, that he seemed to be staying so close to her might be what was making her a little uneasy. She knew of course what lay ahead for them. She was certainly not unwilling, it was just that she didn't really know what to expect. People tended not to talk about it, but she had heard some things. Trent came back with the single glass of red wine. "You first, my sweet," he said.

She took a sip and handed the goblet back to him. "Only a little." She noticed he seemed to be looking at her in a way new to her. Tender, and maybe at the same time suggestive.

"I'm thinking of getting into something comfortable."

"Yes, you do that," she answered, almost without thinking. When she thought about it, she realized that he might like it if she did the same. He left her to go into his, no their bedroom, and before long came back wearing a long, white robe. His feet and ankles were bare. The robe was quite open at the top showing a good part of his muscular chest.

"Look at you," she said, almost entranced by his robust masculinity. "I guess I should get into something comfortable too."

He smiled at that and said, "I could watch, but maybe you would feel more at ease if I didn't."

"Yes, thank you. Let me do it alone."

He left her, and went back to the bedroom. Cara stood at the closet, looking at all of her garments there, trying to decide what to wear on this rather special occasion. Finally, she selected a warm looking crimson robe. It occurred to her as she pulled it out that the color would accentuate the whiteness of her rather pale skin.

So as not to keep Trent waiting too long, she quickly removed her outer and inner garments and slipped into the beautiful robe. It was completely open in the front, though she secured it around her with the thick cloth belt so she wouldn't be exposed. Not one of those she had brought back from home, the robe had been given to her since her arrival. She smoothed the collar against the side of her cheek and neck, savoring its softness. Now, she was ready to go to Trent.

Standing now at the entrance to their bedroom, she saw Trent lounging on the bed, his eyes lowered to a small book he held in one hand. He looked up when she appeared. Cara remained there in the doorway, not entering. "Come in," he said, tossing aside what he had been reading. Then, sensing her reluctance he added, "Come, Cara. I just want to hold you."

She stepped inside. Not meeting his eyes, she gazed to the side of the room. There she saw some drawings, drawings of nature scenes, animals and birds. She drew nearer to where he was on the bed but faced the masterfully done sketches. "Trent," she said, turning back to him. "Did you do these?" She bent down to get a better look at one that particularly appealed to her. It was of a brook in a meadow with trees to the side.

"Yes, those are some of my old sketches. Mother liked them and I do too."

"They are beautiful, Trent," she said, turning so she could face him directly.

"An old pastime I enjoyed doing on rainy days. Thankfully, now I have someone far more beautiful to look at."

Cara saw his smile, and was glad he considered her attractive. She was suddenly drawn to him and getting on the huge bed she made her way to be near him. They both sat up together against the headboard and he put an arm around her shoulder.

"How do you feel?" he asked.

"Good," she answered. She did not want him to know how nervous she felt.

"What were you reading?"

"The Aeneid."

"The Aeneid?"

"Yes. It's by Virgil. He wrote during the time of the Roman Empire."

Cara usually had little interest in such things. Her limited schooling in classical studies always left her with the feeling that she would rather be doing something else. But now, for some reason, she took an interest in what he was reading. "Tell me about it, Trent."

Oh, Cara, do you really want to know? It's just a book by a classical author. Usually I find it exciting reading, but now, with you in my arms everything else seems like so much fluff. We are the beginning of us together. We are the beginning of a new age."

Cara turned to peer into his eyes. He had a faraway look as if he were glancing into the future. Not the kind of look she could really continence, because for her everything was in the present, everything was now. She wanted to get on with their life together now.

Trent leaned toward her, caught the willfulness in her eyes, and captured her with a kiss. Cara felt the tenderness of his lips, and as his lips pressed more eagerly on hers she felt that now was the beginning, their beginning. She turned her body to align with his and then while their long kiss continued, she opened her mouth for him. When he did the same she felt the wonder of breathing in the same warm air he was breathing. Her inhibitions were forgotten. She would not hold back. Now, on this night, she would do this with the man she loved.

Hope you are enjoying this part, and the next.