A little child

Thank you for following this story and staying with it during the time Cara is having her baby. It may have seemed long, but as many of you are well aware, it takes time to deliver a baby. But, how will things go for Cara? Read on. . .

Cara was glad to learn that at last her body was showing some progress in getting ready to deliver her baby. She didn't know at first that she still had a ways to go. But they told her, both the midwife and Elke who stayed close to her. "Maybe two hours," said Elke. "Maybe longer," said the midwife.

Cara made up her mind to try to settle in, to deal with each time her body seemed to convulse around her stomach. To her it seemed easier now with Trent at her side, speaking softly to her and gently massaging her neck and shoulders. She felt she could do this.

But then, as if a fire had quickly been lit, things changed. The pressure on her body suddenly felt too much to bear and she realized she was gasping each time it ended. "How much longer?" she asked in desperation.

"This is the hard part, honey," said the midwife in her calm voice. "Your body is getting ready, my lady, to push your baby out."

Cara noted her use of "honey," and it brought back memories. Trent used many endearing words with her but only her father called her honey. She didn't mind at all that the midwife had used a familial term with her for as she thought about it a member of royalty giving birth was no different than any other woman. Knowing now what women go through she felt a great respect for any woman who had given birth.

Trent, for his part, understood something of what Cara was going through but he felt helpless to do anything to relieve her extreme discomfort. His experience was on the battlefield, where he felt it had been his duty more than once to comfort a dying knight in his final minutes. There was nothing he could do then other than utter words of comfort and to try to lift his comrade's spirits for hope of arriving in the Promised Land. But this was completely different. This he understood to a normal part of life not death.

As he saw by Cara's grimace that another wave came unto her he told her, "Try not to think about your body when you feel the pressure."

Cara held on until it was at last over. Turning to Trent she told him with fury in her voice, "Don't speak to me of what you know nothing about. You have no idea of what I'm going through!"

Trent seemed to Cara to back off, and she immediately regretted the anger in her voice. She told him, "I'm sorry, Trent. It's just that. . . Please don't leave me."

A series of contractions followed, and Cara tried to be strong, though each time it started she would utter a subdued cry and then hold on. Elke was encouraging, telling her, "You're doing good, Cara."

Then she felt something different on her bottom which with her huge stomach she couldn't see.

The midwife announced, "Your water's broken. A good sign."

After that, Cara had a strong urge to push, for she so much wanted to see her son. "I'm going to push now," she told the midwife.

"No, not yet, Cara."

"But I want too. It just seems like I should."

"Not yet, Cara. You will only hurt yourself. Wait. I'll tell you."

Cara realized that at this point the midwife was checking her regularly. Another contraction came, a big one. Trent held on tight and she was glad for that. The midwife, who seemed to be aware of everything, told her. "You are making great progress, I'm going to check again." She looked and then standing up announced, "I see your son's head. And a good head of hair he seems to have already. It's time to go to the birthing chair."

Cara had long been aware of the birth chair which had been placed in a corner of the room. It was an odd looking chair with most of its seat cut out. The assistant midwife moved it near her bed and she, the midwife and Trent helped her into it.

It was not the most comfortable chair to sit on, Cara was quick to realize. As she sat down her next contraction came.

"Good! Now push hard but with gentleness milady, as much as you can while you feel the pressure. Deep breaths if you are able or if not quick, shallow breathing so you get enough air into your lungs." Cara uttered something not quite a yell, more of a longish yelp as she pressed down hard to help her baby to come out.

Despite the pain, Cara definitely felt she was on top of things now and that she was going to do this. She was going to do what she wanted so much to do---deliver her baby. All that she had experienced so far was prelude and she felt that now was her time to bring her son into the world. She turned to look at Trent who was at her side holding on to her shoulders. She smiled at him and he smiled back telling her, "Way to go, baby!"

She laughed at his words. It seemed so funny to her that he was calling her "baby" as she was in the midst of delivering their baby. Trent caught her humor no doubt, for she saw a big smile on his lips.

"Keep it coming, my lady," said the midwife. I see even more of his head now. You don't have much longer to go. You're doing real good."

Cara could not see very well beyond her protruding stomach. She could see only part of the midwife's head but she knew that she was kneeling now in front of her in position to catch their son.

Then it happened. Another contraction, and with determination she pushed.

"He's coming, my lady! He's coming!

Cara felt a surge in her body and even though her bottom was numb from the pressure she knew, she felt, that now things were happening rapidly. The pressure swept over her again and she went with it knowing full well what the outcome would be.

"Good! Good! Good! Said the midwife in an excited voice. Wonderful! "I've got him!" She got up from her knees, a little baby clutched in her arms and she turned so that Cara and Trent could see him.

"Oh my God! Exclaimed Cara. "My God, I want to hold him!" she exclaimed, reaching her arms out to her child.

"Wait. I'll cut the cord and we'll get him. . ."

She stopped in mid sentence when a loud cry punctuated the room. "Oh my, what a voice!"

The cry of her son was music to Cara's ears and she turned with a huge smile toward Trent. Trent was smiling in the same way and he watched as they used white towels on their baby while hugging Cara with joy.

The midwife and her assistant quickly cleaned up the baby, and Cara was glad when she gave him to her. Cara pulled aside the light robe she was wearing and laid the baby on her body. There he seemed to calm and at the same time his lips began moving as if he already wanted to nurse. Trent was watching his son intently and Cara moved their baby a little so that he could see his eyes.

"The afterbirth should be coming any minute," said the midwife. You'll feel some light contractions but nothing like before."

After what she told her Cara was truly surprised when she felt hard squeezing pain come over her once again. Now, holding her baby, she tried to be strong but even Elke noticed that she seemed in considerable pain once again. The contraction came on her and was so difficult that Cara handed the child to Elke while she braced for the next one.

"Something is wrong!" said the midwife who came back to her and with her fingers began massaging Cara's stomach.

Cara was not at all comforted by the worried look on the midwife's face.

What can be the matter? What do you think?