Can she? Should she?

It was mostly dark except for some campfires that still glowed, illuminating men in various postures of rest and conversation. Evie was watchful as she and Stefan were led further away from what seemed to be the main body of the enemy troops. Before long, they reached a large tent of nondescript color where they were rudely pushed inside. A single candle glowed within and standing on each side of the tent were the Magyar equivalent of knights, men with sparse beards, turbans, and long curved swords held at their waists.

Evie saw that there were sleeping mats on the floor toward the middle of the huge tent. One of the men motioned excitedly for them to drop down there on the mats. Evie looked at Stefan. This was where they were going to be kept at least for the night. She and Stefan sat on the mats while the two guards looked on.

As they fearfully sat there, the two men spoke to each other in a language she could not understand. Then the men came closer and spoke directly to them in commanding voices. Evie did not know what they wanted them to do. It became clear what they wanted when they first pushed Stefan and then her onto the mats. It wasn't too hard to guess that the guards wanted them to lie down and maybe to sleep.

It was intimidating to say the least to be treated this way. Stefan, for his part, seemed content to take their order seriously. Yawning, he said to her, "We might as well do as they want. I for one could use the rest and we don't know what the morrow might bring."

For Evie, that was the point. Her fear of what might happen tomorrow. How was it that Stefan could just go to sleep while being held captive? One of the guards blew out the candle and things within the tent suddenly became dark. Evie was lying on her back, and when she looked up she could still see a bit of gleam in the eyes of her captors. Light enough to see that must be coming from the still glowing fires outside their tent. Evie could also make out the subdued gleam of their swords. Not a comforting thought. She knew that she was being held for ransom, but would the Kingdom of Bavaria be willing to pay such an astounding price for her release? If not, she feared what might become of her. With those thoughts swirling in her mind she prayed for her and Stefan's release. Sleep finally came over her, but a troubled sleep with frightening dreams.

When she woke she saw Stefan already up sitting next to her. Evie felt some comfort in knowing that they had survived the night and that Stefan was near. Before long, food was brought for them to eat, a surprisingly tasty assortment of rolls, fruit, cheese and water. While eating, she looked at the guards and saw that new ones had replaced those who had been there in the night, but they had the same intent look on their faces and carried their wicked looking curved swords.

Then, as they were finishing eating, the commander entered with two of his aides. Evie immediately noticed that instead of his long flowing garment he wore instead the clothes of a chieftain, clothes for horse riding and for battle. "So, little one," he said, addressing Evie, "I've been told you are one of the best archers in all Bavaria. For a woman, that is hard to believe. I would like to see for myself this prowess of yours though I think it is quite unlikely that you would be a match for our bowmen."

Evie noted again that the man spoke fluent German, and she did not have the least difficulty in understanding his challenge. As for her archery, she had little doubt of that for she had bested the best. "Sire, I know my own bow, it was made for me. Your men have taken my bow as well as my quiver of arrows."

Evie noted that the commander's eyes seemed to gleam. At that moment she realized that he himself was one she might face in competition. "Not to worry, little one," he said, "we have retained your equipment. It will be a fair match."

As much as Evie feared what might happen to her if her ransom was not paid, she had always loved to compete in her favorite sport, and she rarely lost. She met the gleam in the commander's eyes with spirit showing in her own.

Ere long, they were being led on a trail by the commander and four of his archers in front with Evie and Stefan riding next to each other behind. Two other Magyars in full battledress followed many paces behind and the nine of them seemed to be all that were making this excursion. The trail they followed led away from the encampment of thousands of soldiers toward a quiet part of the forest.

Evie turned toward Stefan and noticed that he had kept at least one of the rolls in his pocket and was now surreptitiously dropping crumbs at regular intervals as they traveled. She looked at him and he acknowledged her observation with a smile. Then he said to her, "Evie, as good as you are, I sense that the commander himself is a very skilled archer. The Magyars are a proud people known for their archery skills, in fact, as you probably are aware, it is their main advantage on the battlefield."

"I know that, Stefan, what are you trying to tell me?"

"It's just that if you should find that your accuracy is indeed better than theirs, it might be wise to alter your shot a little rather than embarrass the commander."

Evie looked at Stefan, shaking her head. "Stefan, I have never done that!"

Stefan regarded her with some consternation. "Yes," he said, "and before you were always with close friends and relatives or among your own countrymen. Now we are in the power of foreigners with different customs than our own who are on a mission to conquer and pillage our land. Who knows what they will do if they are shamed, especially by a woman."

Evie turned to Stefan with something of real ingenuousness. "But Stefan, I believe those who are skilled with the bow and arrow can be trusted. One does not become expert except with long hours of training and much effort."

This time, it was Stefan who shook his head. "Evie, I don't think you fully understand men. Maybe that is why we fight so hard. We don't want to be found lacking or live under the thumb of an oppressive ruler. And we do not want to be shown up, especially by a woman. I would not do it, Evie. Who knows how their commander will react?"

* * *

On the other side of the divide between the two opposing camps, King Trent was thinking. He didn't want to lose Evie. His wife, Cara might be forever scarred if her sister was killed by the Magyars. But Trent also didn't want to bankrupt his kingdom. The nobles as well as his people would be angry to say the least at the ransom of a woman who is only a princess from another kingdom, even though she happens to be a sister to the queen.

Fortunately, Trent knew that he had a loyal spy in the midst of the Magyar troops. One who spoke their language fluently and one who might be able to give him a report on where they were keeping Evie and Stefan. Trent hoped that this spy would soon bring him the information he needed so that he could make plans to try to rescue Evie.