He's coming!

Never having given birth, Cara was very open to the suggestions of those who had. They had experience. As the contractions came she braced for them, but not too tightly for Elke had told her to "go with the flow." By that, Cara understood her to mean that despite the pain of her contractions she should try to relax her body so the baby could come down and out. It wasn't easy. Now that the less stressful phase was over and she had entered what they they called "the midway point," she had to be careful less she cried out with the regularity of her body's pressure to push her baby out into the world.

Still, even as much as she was concerned with what her body was doing, she thought of Trent. Why had he not come back? She felt for sure that he wanted to be there for the birth of their baby. Even in the midst of her contractions she prayed that he had not been struck down by the enemy.

Yet it was getting harder and harder for her to think of him, for the pressures acting upon her were becoming more and more difficult. She hoped, how she hoped, that all this was doing some good and that the result would soon be that her baby would be pushed from her body and she would be able at last to see her son. Yet between her contractions she could not help but think, Where is Trent?

* * *

Trent and the small band of knights that could keep up with him approached the bridge where they had before seen a rather large number of people who had appeared at the top of the span and then suddenly disappeared. After what Daniel had said about dissatisfied factions within the kingdom that could be dangerous, Trent and his men advanced slowly. All seemed quiet, and one might well have wondered where the people had gone.

As they cautiously drew near, two men came up the incline at the side of the bridge. They held no swords, knives or anything in their hands except one had a coiled rope. When the two saw a number of horses coming slowly toward them they looked up in surprise, and then after recognizing King Trent and his entourage they immediately bowed low. Trent looked to Daniel and smiled, feeling that his sense of alarm was misplaced.

"What are you men doing?" asked Daniel

"Fishing, sir."

"All of you?"

"Yes, sir. Today and tonight is the first run. The trout are biting."

"Well, go along then and good luck. We won't be stopping," said Daniel.

Trent couldn't help but laugh as he turned to Daniel. Then, he immediately urged his horse on to a gallop. He knew with speed he could be back at the castle by nightfall.

* * *

Cara learned from the midwife, whom she was glad to be attending to her that she was still in the "early middle stage of labor." Cara wondered to herself if this was the early stage what would the later stage be like? Yet she was dealing with the pain, breathing through the tightening that came now with regularity. Elke even suggested that she walk a bit and move from one position to another as that would help to speed things along. The midwife concurred and added that in this stage she should take drinks of water and eat a little food to help keep up her energy later.

"How long is this going on!" asked Cara in frustration.

"Likely for hours answered the midwife, but when they get stronger you won't have nearly so long to go."

Time passed, slowly. Cara was getting up now and again for some exercise, bending, walking, etc. as they told her to do. Suddenly, she felt such a strong contraction that it nearly brought her to her knees. "Oh!" she cried out, and then held on, trying to breathe steadily as they told her to do while waiting until it passed. When it was over she looked at the midwife who nodded approvingly as if she was doing well. "Well," was not at all what Cara was thinking. After it passed she went back to her bed.

The midwife put her hand on her stomach. To Cara, the woman seemed so assured, as if this kind of thing were completely normal. Then, another one came, too soon, and the midwife said in a soothing voice, "There, there, my lady. Now, they are stronger, getting you ready for the time when you will have your baby."

Cara scarcely heard her words as she grimaced and tried hard to think of other things as both Elke and the midwife had told her to do. "Try to think of happy things in your life you have done and will do again after you have delivered," the midwife had told her.

"Think of how you will snuggle and love your little one, and how you will love seeing him learning to call you mommy and learning to walk on his own. Think of all the things you will enjoy doing with your new baby," Elke had told her.

Cara tried, though it wasn't easy. She had gotten into the habit now of closing her eyes whenever she felt the beginning of the pressure, trying to think of other things. What came to her more than anything was the happy times she enjoyed being with Trent-their outings together, sometimes alone, sometimes with friends. The many times when he had held her tight and expressed his love for her both in words and in other ways. Those times she cherished most, but then those thoughts would get her worrying and that was not comforting to her at all. What saddened her the most is that Trent was not even going to be there when their first child was born.

* * *

Trent hated to be so hard on his horse, riding her so fast, but at last he and seven of his best knights had finally made it to the gates of the castle. They were quickly admitted and he learned from one of the elders in the courtyard that Cara was at this very moment in labor with their first child. Giving his horse to the stable attendant to feed and care for, he strode quickly to his and Cara's suite. The guard was there at the door and on seeing him he immediately opened it, bowing as he did so.

Trent quickly walked in, and found another guard outside their bedroom door. Trent scarcely paid him any attention and went to open the door when the guard said, "The queen is in labor, my lord. Only women are there with her."

Trent thought but a second. He had not at the moment remembered it, but he did know of the unwritten rule that a man was to have no part in the delivery room until after the baby was born. Despite that, he didn't hesitate. He had to see Cara for it had been so long. No matter what anyone said he had to see her now. He barged through the door and saw a number of surprised women looking up at him. He paid no attention to them. His eyes focused on Cara.

Cara was just finishing with her last contraction. She opened her eyes on hearing some commotion in the room. "Trent!" she cried out.

Trent went past two women to come to her. Kneeling beside her he said, "I'm sorry, Cara, that I could not come until now." Hands on her shoulders he bent down to kiss her.

"Trent, I'm so happy you have come. I was so worried for you, but now. . . ." She could hardly say more as her body was rocked by another contraction. She started to close her eyes as she had gotten into the habit of doing. Instead, she looked up at Trent and despite everything she was able to smile.

Trent saw what was happening and held her tight, wishing he could do something to take away what was obviously difficult for her. When it passed, he could feel her relax.

Cara breathed a sigh of relief, saying to Trent, "I'm sorry, my darling, that you have to see me this way. I must look a mess."

Trent looked at Cara with great tenderness, shaking his head no. "Cara, you are having our baby. There is nothing more beautiful than that. I will be right here with you as our son is born into the world."