Lurking danger

The trail was long to Trent's kingdom, as Cara had known it would be. Unlike knights traveling swiftly and scarcely stopping, the large gathering moved at a more leisurely pace and everyone knew it was going to be a two day trip. Cara enjoyed the scenic countryside, the castles in the distance surrounded by their strong walls and the occasional travelers along the road, many garbed in bright colors denoting their status and often their occupations. Monks also traveled the roads in small groups, their somber brown or black robes a contrast to others along the way.

Cara was glad of having one good friend, Gina, to accompany her on the long journey. The two women spent much of their time talking. For both, it was a time of huge change, a completely new experience, and Cara could sympathize with Gina that for her there was not going to be a wedding to look forward to, or to be apprehensive about. But both would find themselves facing powerful people, and from some words Trent had spoken, Cara was already hoping that his mother would not be difficult to get along with. 

As for Prince Trent, she noted whenever there was a clearing he was most often near the front of the knights he was leading back. At other times, he dropped back to say a few words to her, usually with a smile. To Cara, he seemed to be in his element as they traveled through forests that were sometimes deep and foreboding until they reach meadows where the sun once again shined brightly upon them.

In one of the clearings they stopped for lunch. Cara recognized one of the stewards from her own kingdom helping to pass out bread, lunch meats and apples. Her father had also apparently sent him to reside in Bavaria. What the steward could add there she didn't know. Trent came to sit with her and Gina, and the three of them chatted. Cara noticed that Gina seemed reticent in speaking with the prince, but then Trent said something funny that had all three of them laughing. Cara felt that at that point, Trent had won Gina over. The prince, her prince, certainly had a way about him. Of course, she knew he was probably long accustomed to speaking with women.

When he left, Cara thought she would give Poppy a rest and ride one of her other horses. She looked toward the back where she could see them, excused herself from Gina, and leading Poppy, went to find Firefly. She thought it likely she would also face Justin. She was not sure how she would feel about that.

He was there, with the animals. He seemed to have seen her coming for he looked at her and then casually turned away. She approached closer, walking Poppy. He turned toward her and asked, "Do you wish to change horses?"

He knew, without her saying a word. It seemed that was always the way with him. "Yes," she answered.

"Which?"

Cara felt he was being businesslike, as if she were a lady from another realm. As if he didn't know her. But what should she expect? He was coming along not for her but for her horses. Somehow, she longed to break through his seeming indifference. Somehow, she wished for more. But inside she felt that perhaps Justin was following the best course. He would be no more to her now than the man who tends her horses. "Firefly," she said to him softly.

Justin didn't look at her but went right to work transferring her saddle to Firefly. He was quick, and she knew him always to be proficient at his job. He tightened the straps and said, "She is ready for you now."

"Thank you, Justin." She turned away from him, leading her horse away slowly, hoping he would say something. But he didn't.

Returning to Gina, she saw that word had been given for them to continue on. The knights were mounting their horses and she and Gina did the same. They continued for a long time without stopping until someone ahead announced that there would be a pause for a short time before they continued on. There was still plenty of light in the sky and Cara estimated that the sun wouldn't set for at least two or three more hours. She had known it was going to be a long ride, but her muscles weren't used to being on a horse most of the day. She looked forward to their stopping for the night.

At last, as the sun was setting in the west, they halted. Cara slid down from her horse, feeling at first unsteady on her feet. It had been a long ride. She noted that Gina also seemed unsteady, but soon they were both walking about, glad to have ended their first day's ride.

Cara and Gina stayed together in the darkness, feeling set apart from the knights, some of whom were starting small fires and setting up tents. Soon, they could smell food being cooked, which whetted their appetites. They knew it would be only an evening snack, but having been all day in the fresh air, both were hungry.

Prince Trent came by to talk to them. Looking at Cara he said, "You and Gina will have my tent tonight. It's larger than the rest and you can stand up in it. With plenty of warm blankets, I hope you will find it comfortable."

"Thank you, Trent," she answered, coming up close to him. "After riding for so long, I think Gina and I will both be glad to lie down for the night."

"I'll have them put up your tent right away," he said leaving her.

"I'm not used to sleeping outdoors," Cara said to Gina.

"Me either." Gina answered. "Let's go over there by the fire. I think they are passing out strips of venison."

There, by the low light of the cooking fire, a man was cutting chunks of warmed deer meat. When they came near, he extended his knife toward them, offering each a thick slice. They also found cups and obtained mead, with which to wash it down. Far from a complete meal, but tasty.

Soon, the few hastily made fires began to dim and darkness settled over their campsite. The girls went back and found their tent, noting that it was appreciably bigger than the rest, and when they went inside they found a large mat covered by thick, warm blankets. The darkness inside was total at first. They bumped into each other, and Gina said, "How about I take this side and you take that side."

Outside, the noise and voices of the men began to die down and instead they began to hear snoring. Cara arranged her blankets to try to get comfortable, but something about sleeping on the hard ground, even though there was a mat,  was making her wonder if she would be able to sleep at all. "Tomorrow we shall be there," she said to Gina. "So many changes."

"I hope they are friendly, I mean the people in the castle and the court. For you they will be, but for me. . ." her voiced trailed off."

"Gina, if I have anything at all to say about it, they will treat you just fine. You let me know if they don't."

"I will miss my family so much."

Cara couldn't see Gina in the dark tent, but read the longing in her voice. She too would miss her family, though she would be part of a new family. She thought of Prince Trent. Really, she knew so little of him. Would he treat her well? Would he be gentle with her? She knew she was far from the only one to enter into a marriage knowing little of her husband. She remembered his words, "Will you consent to be my bride, my partner in life, my lover?" She hoped it would be so.

Justin was also bedding down in his small tent. In the failing light of day, he had noted the larger tent and in a brief flare up of the campfire had seen that it was where Cara and her handmaid were staying. Not that he should pay any attention. That Cara was safe in the night, was his only concern. Yet he would have wished that instead of being near the edge of the knights tents she should have been closer to the center. Why did he always worry about the girl? He was only the keeper of her horses. Surely, all would be well for her in the night.

Or, maybe not.

Mead: An alcoholic drink made of fermented honey and water. Fairly common in the Middle Ages.