Just for fun

Cara was so happy. She knew now that her father would not only live but would be able to enjoy life again. At present, he was still being cared for, but each day he seemed to be making progress and his doctors told him and his family that "he was out of the woods" as far as his health was concerned. Yes, they said, he would have to take things easier and they definitely didn't recommend that he go into battle again. Cara hoped he would never have to.

With the worry and concern of her father largely removed, Cara was able to do things she hadn't done for a long time. In truth, part of the reason she had held back was because of the difficulties of her pregnancy, especially when she finally learned that she was carrying two and not only one. And then, two required so much care.

Another thing that made her feel more at ease was that she had found a wonderful babysitter for Brendan and Kirah, someone she could trust to really care for them. Her name was Emma, and though she was older, she had had five children of her own, two of them twins. Her older children were practically grown up now but her twins were twelve and the two girls could actually help their mother in caring for Cara's children. Cara now had the freedom to do some of the other things she had always liked to do.

One of them was to again practice with her bow and arrow. Actually, she felt a sense of competition with her own sister, who had improved so much that she was going to be hard to beat. Cara wanted to surprise Evie who now assumed she was better than Cara. To that end, she had been practicing, accompanied usually by Trent's friend, Daniel, as well as Gianna, the foreign princess whose land was overrun. Among the three of them, Daniel wasn't a bad shot himself but Gianna was her real competition.

"Thank you for coming out again with us, Daniel."

"Don't mind at all, milady. Besides, maybe I can learn something from you two."

Cara notched her bow and peered at the target that Daniel had set up far away in the trees. With steady hands she let loose her shaft and was happy that it hit near the center of the target. Gianna was next and she too steadied herself before releasing her arrow. It also hit near the center. Daniel was last. Cara sensed that he found himself in an awkward position, that of shooting with two women whose skills were far above those of the average man. He too steadied his bow, releasing the shaft. It hit the distant target, and Cara congratulated him on that. Then the three of them took the jaunt to the target where they could see just how accurate their aim had been. Cara's was close, very close to the small round circle drawn in the middle of the target. Giana's arrow, with different feathers, was also close to the middle. There was no doubt that it was Daniel's arrow that was lower on the target than the other two.

They walked back and continued practicing for at least another hour. Cara was most curious to know how she compared with her sister with the bow. She asked Daniel as they were riding on horseback back to the castle. "Do you think I have improved enough to go against my sister."

Daniel answered. "Evie is very good, and a match between the two of you would be close. However, from what I have seen today, I would bet on you."

Cara smiled broadly. "Thank you, Daniel. Thank you for taking the time to come out with us. I think I will now be ready when the time comes."

* * *

On the other matter, that of Richard and Evie, Cara was glad that Evie had agreed to wait, and that Richard also was content to do so. Because of his care for her, he had decided to stay on at the castle. He really didn't want to leave Evie, because he loved her, and he had agreed with both Cara and her father that they would take time to know each other better before rushing off into marriage. Cara was glad that they were willing to wait.

****

Cara didn't have to wait long for a trip into the country. A warming trend and Trent putting aside some kingly duties found three couples on a picnic outing. Cara arranged with Emma to babysit Kirah and Brendan and she was coming along as well, riding in a carriage that held her, Kirah and Brendan. Long before noon they were on their way, Cara and Trent, Justin and Gianna, and Daniel and Rosa. They were high spirited for spring was in the air, the grass was green, and the trees had leafed out. Cara felt especially high spirited, for it was the first time she was out for a picnic since the children were born.

Trent had thought of everything. He conceived the idea that the men would handle all the food, tablecloths and drinks. So it was that they settled in a beautiful place with a steep grassy hill on one side and the ground leading down to a small lake on the other. Enjoying the delicious beef cooked right on the spot with fresh vegetables and then strawberries and wine tended to make them a bit sleepy. Interesting stories were told in their conversations, punctuated by frequent laughter. Then Cara jumped up and said to Trent, "Bet you can't catch me!"

He was up in an instant, but Cara had a lead on him as she headed for the grassy hill. In a way, she knew it was a little unfair, for he still walked with a bit of a limp. Before she knew it, Gianna and Evie joined her, each challenging their men to catch them. They all broke out into laughter, and despite his limp Trent was able to catch her. That was the best part, for he took her in his arms and smiling down as he held her gave her a kiss that was much too passionate for outside their bedroom. "Trent, not here," she told him, but he only laughed before letting her go.

Of course, Justin and Richard had no trouble at all catching up with Gianna and Evie and they too seized them and gave them a kiss. Cara looked back at Emma who was with their children. She saw the wondering look in Kirah and Brendan's eyes as they watched the goings on of their parents. She returned to them, taking Kirah in her arms and rocking her. Brendan also wanted to be held and Trent came to hold him.

"Don't be concerned, my Kirah," said Cara, her cheek on Kirah's head. "When you get older you will be able to run and play too." As she held her daughter she looked out to see Daniel and Justin going part way up the hill to place targets for their arrow shoot. Gianna came to look at their children. "How sweet," she said. Then to Cara, "Looks like we'll soon be ready to shoot. Cara smiled at her. Having practiced with Gianna, she felt confident they could do well against the men and her sister, Evie. With her holding Kirah and her husband holding Brendan Cara was happy. What did it really matter if they did well or not? She had her guy, Trent, the man with whom she shared everything. What did anything else matter? She smiled.