A girl in love

How the time flew as Cara's father and her brother, sister and their entourage stayed on. Trent made sure that they were treated as royalty and that there was entertainment, royal dinners, and even outings to the nearby forest for hunting and target shooting. Though she didn't herself go because of caring for two babies, Cara always met her father on his return from their nearby excursions. She was glad to see that he was in his element and that he was getting on genially with Trent and some of Trent's older advisers. Cara was especially glad that the two men she most loved had become friends.

She was delighted too that her sister Evie and brother Gilbert had also enjoyed themselves in the company of the king and his friends. Evie, in particular, was able to prove to her own delight and others her remarkable prowess with the bow and arrow. Apparently she had been faithfully practicing in the year since Cara's marriage and by now might be as good or better than Cara herself. Cara resolved that once her children were a bit older she would again resume target practice. Then, when they were older, she would teach her children archery skills.

Of course, during the time they stayed on at the castle, Cara and Evie were able to enjoy each others company and the sisters talked about everything under the sun moon and stars. Evie's biggest revelation came on the fourth day of the visit.

It's was after another royal dinner, when Cara, Evie and most of the guests were quite filled and content with the roast duck, baked bread, vegetables and wine that Evie told Cara what was most on her mind. They were together in the royal apartment, quite alone, as her father had again taken Brendan to stay with him awhile in his suite and Kirah was also being cared for.

"My dear sister, I have held off too long in telling you about Richard, Richard von Stauffenberg," she began.

"Ah, yes, the young and dashing prince, son of the Alexander von Stauffenberg who wanted my hand."

"Cara, I am in love with him!"

Cara saw that Evie's eyes were gleaming and a happy smile lit up her face. Yet her sister was still young and Cara surely didn't want her to be disappointed. "My dear sister Evie, what is it that makes you think you are in love?"

"He has come to visit me, with a band of knights, of course, and we have had the most wonderful times talking about anything that comes to our minds. He is such an interesting man. You know I told you he likes to hunt with his falcon and one time he brought it with him. It was so much fun when he set the falcon loose and it flew off to bring down a game bird. He is also well read and though I know only a little compared to him, I love to talk to him about so many different things."

"I take it he likes you too?"

"Of course. Who wouldn't like me?"

"Oh, Evie, how could I have momentarily forgotten how confident you are."

"Well, anyway, there is no doubt about it at all."

"What do you mean?"

"When Richard comes to see me, we are always escorted. You know how father is about that. Well, one afternoon Richard and I were going with father and the knights on a hunting trip. Altogether twelve of us. You know how good I am with the bow and arrow. Anyway, when the dogs got all excited and took up after the deer, everyone in the hunting party went chasing after them. But Richard got my attention, winked at me, and we did not join in the chase after the deer. Instead, he rode slowly up to where I was seated on my horse and said, "I think we have something better to do than to chase after deer."

"At first I didn't know what he meant, but then we dismounted and he held me in his arms. Oh, Cara, I think I know now what is like to feel that certain way with a man."

Cara wasn't sure she knew exactly what Evie was referring to. But being the older sister, she wanted to know more. She also felt a desire to be protective of her.

"Did he kiss you?" she asked.

"Well of course," Evie answered, looking at her older sister as if she were slow to understand. "That and much more!"

"I take it he held you close. Did he do anything else besides kiss you?'

"Yes, and me too," Evie answered.

Cara didn't know what to make of Evie's last words. She thought a moment before asking, "But you didn't go down with him on the grass, did you?"

This time Evie was a little slower to answer. Seeming to be holding back a smile, she lifted her head to look up at Cara. "What if we did?"

"Well, that is altogether different, Evie. I mean you are a young girl and a man could take advantage of you."

Evie looked at her sister. "No, if you want to know, we did not lay together on the ground. My second tutor told me what to be careful of with men. But really, Cara, "I would do it with him. I love him."

"Thank God! Evie, I believe you to be a sensible girl. The thing is, men can be very persuasive. And yes, it can be very good to be with a man in that way. But wait until you are married. Then, you will not be distressed if a child comes."

"You sound exactly like my old tutor."

"Cara came to her saying, "Evie, I know it is wonderful when you find someone you love but you are so young. Has father said anything to you or to Richard's father? I mean do you think father would approve for you and him. . ."

"No! Nothing! And yet he knows I like Richard and Richard likes me. I believe he thinks I am still too young! Either that or he doesn't want to lose his other daughter like he lost you. It is so unfair, Cara!"

Cara put her arms around her sister, who stood straight, obviously miffed by the situation.

"Evie, you are quite young. If Richard really does care strongly for you he will wait. Don't rush. I know father loves you and possibly it is true that he would hate for you also to leave. But he is a reasonable man."

"Cara, you have a way with father. Would you talk to him? I mean, you don't think I'm too young do you?"

Cara nodded her head noncommittally. "Evie, I know some girls marry very early, but then I think sometimes it is better to wait. I mean love is wonderful if you and he are of truly one heart. But children are not easy to have and I think maybe they are not easy to raise. It wouldn't hurt to wait, but if you are really certain and sure, I will talk to father. Don't know if it will do any good though."

"Oh, thank you, dearest Cara," Evie answered, giving Cara the biggest hug and a bright smile. "I think that if father will listen to anyone he will listen to you."

"Evie, it has been so wonderful to be with you, father and Gilbert these few days. I am going to miss you when you have to leave tomorrow. Oh, Evie, something else. Trent thinks there could be trouble as you make your way back. He is going to send a contingent of knights to travel with you, but you should also keep a sharp lookout."

Author's note: Definitely keep a sharp lookout, Evie.