Never! She would die first!

Despite Evie's feelings, the match went on. It was still far from dark but because the sun was no longer shining on the targets in the distance it was hard to see the results of their shooting. Each time they shot a few arrows it was necessary to walk up to retrieve them and see how well they had shot.

By this time, Farkas had directed that she and Olney, the better of his two marksmen shoot at the smaller two targets. Evie noted that Farkas seemed to be losing his patience with the other man because of his slack performance. However, now that it was basically between Evie and Olney, it became clearer and clearer after each time they walked to see the results that Evie was the better archer. Finally, in apparent disgust at them, Evie saw Farkus shrug, telling one of them to unpack his equipment.

Evie looked at this development with the interest of a competitor. Did the commander, an older man of at least forty feel he had the skills his marksmen lacked. Evie watched as he got himself ready, stretching, limbering up, etc. She noticed his bow, an elegant thing for sure but one that was smaller than that of his men. In fact, one that was similar in size to her own. Farkas said to her, "I'll warm up with a few shots before we begin. She noted he took his time aiming, and that his release was smooth and even. "Want to see how I did?" he asked as he, Evie, and the other two archers set off toward the targets.

"Ok," she answered. When they got closer, Evie could see that the commander was definitely a cut above the others. She didn't know if she should address him, but she did feel some admiration for his skill so said, "Awfully good for practice shots."

He turned and gave her a smile but said nothing and personally extracted his own arrows from the target. Then, as they were walking back, he said, "Now, just me and you."

When they arrived back at their shooting place he said to her, "You take the left smaller target and I'll take the right. You first, my lady, and then me, one at a time till we have each have released four."

Evie saw his smooth confidence but felt herself up up to the challenge. What really caught her attention was his manner of his calling her "lady." He had used the word before with her but this time he seemed to say it as if he really meant that she was a woman to be taken seriously. But now, to the shooting. Evie looked at Farkas and saw that he was watching her rather intently. She looked away, not wanting him to affect her. Did she see a slight smile on his face? No matter. She concentrated on the target, pulled back and launched her shaft.

Of course, he was next, and she eyed him as well. True, he was the commander, the one who led his troops in a war against her own people. But now he was only a man with a bow, a man she wanted to beat. When he smoothly released his arrow she knew nothing of where it landed on the target. As much as she wanted to know, it might have seemed silly to walk the long distance there just to check on one arrow. She and he both would have to wait to see the results.

She took aim again, as carefully as she could, for she realized she was up against a very proficient archer. He fired next and then her, back and forth. When he had released his last and fourth arrow, he smiled and said to her, "Shall we see the results, my lady?" Then he actually extended his arm to her and Evie thought to herself, courtesy from the commander, the one who holds me captive against my will? No, she did not take his arm, how weird of him to offer it. She walked alongside him toward the targets, very interested in how she had fared against him.

When they came close she saw exactly how well she had shot and glancing at her target and his she could see little difference between them. Yes, the arrows were positioned differently around the target but she could see that she and he had both placed two of their arrows within the bull's eye.

"Fine shooting, my lady. No one has beaten me in years but I think that you and I are tied. A commendable performance."

Evie took a good look at him. Not garbed in his regal robes as she had first seen him, he made a trim and seemingly forthright appearance. No one would ever misjudge him to be anything but the commander that he was, one could tell that by the firm set of his mouth and his eyes that impassively seemed to take in everything. Though Evie had hated him at first her feeling for him softened a bit. He was honest. Though their arrows were positioned differently on the targets, many a competitor might have claimed victory. Even she could not tell for sure, and it might even be that his shafts were slightly closer together than hers.

Together they walked back to where the others waited. "I think it is getting a little too dark to continue," he said, and added, "I should like to compete with you another time, my lady." He smiled at her again and Evie turned away. She hoped that she would be released from his captivity, the sooner the better. Though the sun was already starting to go down behind the trees, she was still hoping for a rescue. If not that, she hoped that Trent would be able to pay the money for her release.

Farkas looked at her, and speaking to her in a quiet, conversational way said, "My lady, if your kingdom doesn't pay the ransom do not fear. I am impressed with you. I will take you into my own kingdom and you will not want for anything of the finer things in life. In fact, you will join my harem."

Evie could hardly believe what she had just heard. Her hands tightened into fists and she wanted to strike Farkas down then and there on the spot. Only the realization that it would have been foolish to do so kept her from it. Suddenly, she felt nauseous, and bending down she thought that she might throw up. Stefan came to her. Evie knew he had not heard Farkas' words.

"Evie, are you alright?"

Still bent over, in a low, tight voice she answered him. "Stefan, I've got to get out of here! We've got to escape."

* * *

Trent and his handpicked knights had been skirting around the enemy's forces for what seemed like a long time. He was uneasy, for they had still not found Evie and Stefan. He hoped that they were not going to be too late. The sun was already beginning its descent in the sky and he knew there would be no archery at sundown. With hope and a prayer his small party of knights continued on.