Danger/another woman

So much was happening around her, it was hard for Cara to take it all in. Worst of all, the Magyars were again threatening a major part of what remained of the Holy Roman Empire. Their large army had moved from their homeland in the east and more recently had sacked and pillaged their way west to where they were now a threat to all. Which way would they go? What town, fortified or not could stand up to them?

Cara saw how the masons were strengthening the fortifications of the city. She could look out from her apartment to the great field where everyday the knights for hours were training for battle. She could see Trent there, with his burnished silver helmet and sometimes she thought she could also make out Justin who was frequently near him. Obviously, there was no more time and too much danger to take a picnic trip into the country.

She saw Trent much more than Justin, for even after the knights vigorous battle workouts in the field, he sought her out, and after bathing he would come to her and they would often dine together in the great hall. Cara was pleased to hear him tell her that Justin seemed to have a natural talent for learning the fighting skills of knighthood, and had already advanced beyond many if not most of his peers. Trent told her that he would be ready when the Magyar attack came, and though Cara was glad for his skill, she worried for the safety of both Trent and Justin in a major battle. 

Trent seemed to like to talk of fighting the Magyars and vanquishing their fierce army, but such talk only served to make Cara ever more anxious for the lives of both Justin and Trent. Everyone knew that in a battle men died on both sides. In his pride at their military skill, Trent didn't seem to realize that they could suffer causalities even if on the winning side.

As for her upcoming wedding, already the banns had been out for more than two weeks. However, she didn't yet know, and it likely depended on what happened with the enemy, if the wedding was going to be postponed. She wanted her father, brother and her dear sister, Evie, to be there, as well as many others from her small kingdom, but obviously no one would be traveling when the Magyars were known to be a danger in the territory. On the contrary, Cara hoped and prayed that the enemy would stay far away from the place she still called home.

Then, Trent told her something of far more interest to her than war or the threat of war. Justin had met someone! Oh, she so wanted to know more from Trent of that, and she questioned him about her. What he said of her only increased her interest. He said the girl was beautiful, with warm, dark skin, long black hair, a narrow waist and a beautiful face, though Trent assured her that she didn't compare with her in beauty. Cara looked at him when he said that. "Really?"

"Definitely," was his answer, and he put his hand on hers and leaning close, gave her a quick kiss to emphasize what he said. Still, Cara was very interested in learning more of the girl. Trent told her that she fled with her parents and a band of knights from a kingdom to the east, one of those threatened by the same enemy that was a threat to them now. 

She and her family narrowly escaped capture, and as a result he told her she lived with an acute terror of the Magyars. He also said her knowledge of their language was not perfect, she spoke with an accent and sometimes didn't know how to say just what she wanted to say in their language. But she was definitely of royal blood. In fact, though their nobility was not the same as in Bavaria, she could even be described as a princess, or something akin to one.

As Trent talked, Cara became more and more interested. She had to see her. She wondered if she would like her. Really, as Trent described her, she could see that a man could easily fall for someone like that. She eyed Trent, and said what she felt she needed to say to him. "Trent, you describe her so beautifully. What do you think of her?"