|5.0|

...
I thought you would know better by now.
You really never learn, do you?
Pssh, children.

Y O U R
C H O I C E S
D O N ' T
M A T T E R

Kris

I turned to face the two people lying helplessly on the ground. As much as it pained me, I knew the right thing to do.

"Go help Lancer. I'm gonna try to help Susie." I knew that between the two, Lancer's life was more valuable. He was a king, and more than that, a child. If I had guaranteed that my girlfriend's life would be saved over a child's, how selfish would that make me?

Ralsei nodded and started to Lancer. I rushed to Susie's side.

"S-Susie? Can you hear me?"

"Kris...? Where... I can't see you..."

"I'm right here. I'm right next to you."

"It... It hurts..." Hearing her say that broke me inside. Hot tears welled up in my eyes, but I blinked them back.

"I know. I know. I'm trying to help." I fiddled around with the contents of my bag, trying to find anything at all that could help. I found nothing.

"Please don't go away, Kris...!" A fat tear rolled down her face as she struggled to turn her head to me. The lump in my throat grew.

"Shh... I'm not going anywhere. I'll stay here as long as you like."

"Kris..."

"Yes Susie?"

"I... I love you so much. Thank you for everything you've done for me. I wouldn't be here if it weren't for you. I love..." Her voice cut off and her eyes rolled back in her head.

...

Gone.

She was gone.

And it was my fault.

It should've been me.

She didn't deserve this.

I did.

..

A bright light seemed to fill the area as I allowed myself to slip out of consciousness.

~~~~~~~~~~

What good fun!