|0.3|

At school

Kris' Pov

I walked into the classroom as Miss Alphys began her routine morning speech.

"G-good morning, students, I hope you've had a good morning so far, and-" She turned her head to me. "Oh, h-hello Kris, y-you're uncharacteristically late... Did Tor- I mean, Miss Toriel bring you today?"

I nodded.

"Hmm, weird, she's never been late before... Well, take your seat." 

As I did as she said, she continued with her speech. I plopped down at my desk and took out my sketchbook to begin drawing. She began to explain a group project. I wasn't paying attention. I only noticed anything she was saying when a golden-brown, furry hand flew across my vision, smearing my graphite drawing. Thanks a lot, I thought to myself.

"Helloooooo, Kris? Are you paying attention?" My head snapped up. 

"D-did someone say something?" I asked.  Nobody said anything. Standing next to me, a girl I recognized as Noelle was avoiding my gaze.

Noelle Holiday, mayor's daughter. Sits in the front of the class. Shy and awkward, kinda nice, but no real friends. Berdly seems to have taken a liking to her, but a... different... kind... of liking...

I felt my face get red with embarrassment as I realized that Miss Alphys had been calling my name for the last minute or so. I looked down. 

"S-sorry..." I muttered. 

"That's... That's alright, Kris. Now, y-you need to pick a partner for the group project." She turned to the rest of the class. "Please raise your hand if you don't have a partner."

Nobody moved.

"Uh..." I could see Miss Alphys start to sweat, and apparently, so did Noelle.

"K-Kris, Berdly and I could make a group of three?" she suggested. Berdly, who had also not been paying attention, immediately interjected.

"Uh, what? No, thank you. We're good as we are. Noelle, they aren't even that smart-" he began.

"S-sorry what? I couldn't hear, what did you say, Noelle?" Berdly's face seemed to... flatten... somehow... when Miss Alphys just completely disregarded him.

"N-nevermind..." Noelle muttered.

Add doormat to her description.

"W-what was that? Noelle, please speak up-"

The door burst open rather dramatically. Miss Alphys' voice immediately shut off. She had clearly been dreading this moment since she woke up this morning. 

And in the doorway stood - of course - the one and only Susie.

Susie, a name that, out of context, would make you snicker, but in this town, made you shudder.

Susie. Hometown's own lonely, mysterious, and aggressive cliche, only this time, female. Wouldn't guess it by looking at her, though. Mistook her for a guy one time. Big mistake. Noelle's all over her, but she's clearly not interested. I am, but in more of a "I'm fascinated with what makes you tick" kinda way. A bit of an enigma, nobody knows anything about her, and she intends to keep it that way. So yeah, you could say I'm curious.

"H-h-hi, S-s-susie... P-please take your seat..." Miss Alphys was practically shaking.

Susie grunted and plopped into the seat in front of me. She leaned her chair back and stared at the ceiling. 

"W-wait, Kris, you don't have a partner, why don't you pair up with Susie?" Miss Alphys suggested. I certainly wasn't apposed. After all, it was an excuse to get some info out of her. I felt Noelle seize up beside me. I couldn't quite tell, but I was pretty sure she whispered "lucky".

Susie, however, just about fell on the floor. She was quite clearly taken aback. 

"W-what!? D-do I even get a say in this!?" Her voice was more panicked than usual. That I knew of, anyway. She didn't exactly speak much. One of the reasons nobody knew jack about her.

"Well, you did come in late. If you wanted someone else, you should've come in sooner. I mean, I'm sure Noelle, for example, would've just loved to be your partner..." I snickered. Noelle's face heated up. "Anyway, why does it matter? You intimidated by me?"

She grumbled a few profanities in my direction and turned back to the ceiling, admitting defeat.

"And thus, the human slays the dragon-" I began, closing my eyes and smirking. Then, I felt hot breath on my face. My eyes opened to see sharp yellow teeth staring at me.

"You better watch your mouth, kid," Susie growled. She turned around again. 

"S-susie, please no threats- wait a second. Where did my chalk go?" Miss Alphys began. "Has anyone seen my chalk?" The class was clearly not very talkative today. 

"F-fine, how about this? Whoever took the chalk, speak up, or else everyone gets detention!" Again, she got no response. "Uhhh..."

"I-isn't there some in the supply closet, Miss Alphys? Maybe Susie and I could go get it-" Noelle began again. Poor girl couldn't even get a full sentence in. Susie chuckled at Noelle's failed attempt at subtlety about wanting some alone time with her.

"Good idea, Noelle! Susie, since you came in late, why don't you go get the chalk? Kris, you came in late, too. How about you go with her, and along the way, you can talk out whatever just happened? Also, no, that's not a question, you have to do it." Once again, Noelle seemed deflated. I pitied her.

"Sure, why not?"

That's what I said, anyway.

As for what I was thinking...

I probably shouldn't have been messing with her a minute ago...