|4.7|

Susie

I started to fall asleep when Kris started tossing and turning in their sleep again. They were repeating the same words over and over again, and tears started rolling over their face. I immediately shook them awake, and again they held to me like a lifeline.

"Kris, are you okay!? This is the second time in a row this has happened." They took a shaky breath and wiped the tears from their eyes.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Just a bad dream."

"Just a bad dream!? You were screaming! You were crying! What happened in your dream?"

"It doesn't matter."

"Yes it does! Kris, this is concerning. It's not normal to scream and cry at something that's 'just a bad dream'."

"I said it doesn't matter, will you drop it!?" they snapped. I was taken aback. Their eyes widened. " I'm so sorry, I didn't mean it, I-"

"No, you're right. It's not my place to push. I'm just... I'm worried about you. I've had my fair share of nightmares, and I understand that sometimes they feel so real that it's like watching a glimpse of the future." Kris' eyes widened.

"If this is the future... I don't know what I'll- I don't want to think about-" Their breathing started to speed up. I pulled them into a closer hug and placed a kiss on their head. They calmed down a little.

"Hey. No matter what, I'll be here. Whatever it is that's bothering you, whether you decide to tell me or not, I'll be here to help you through it," I reassured them. They nodded. "Now try and get some nightmare-free shut-eye, we have to stop Ralsei from enslaving an entire kingdom tomorrow. It'll probably take a while to get there, your muscles might be sore!" I snickered softly at my joke. Kris didn't react. I sighed and rubbed their back.

"Good night, Susie. I love you," they said.

"Nighty-night, dork. I love you too."

We snuggled into each other's embrace and slept peacefully for the rest of the night.