71

I didn't want to die this time

I didn't want to die this time. I felt the spark inside of me, it was like a streak of light that called out to me. Stay alive.

So, I held on.

I really couldn't feel my body, I couldn't move a muscle as I started sensing around myself. I knew that the most important thing in situations, moments like these was focus.

It was the smell that reached me first. I could smell smoke, burning flesh, sweat and earth. How I loved earth. I could almost imagine myself purring of delight if it wasn't the head spinning, strong scent of irony blood that was almost suffocating everything else.

Slowly, as if I was underwater, I started hearing. I could hear rapidly approaching footsteps, coughing people and pain. People were in pain and I could hear them, hear them groaning and whimpering as they gritted their teeth.

"wake up, Atlas, wake up." Someone was next to me, it was familiar voice. Very soothing and sad. Why are you sad?

"Step aside! You don't know what you're doing! Foolish, reckless Scum!" I heard someone hiss as the person who had been whispering in my ear was pulled off.

What was going on? I could hear shuffling of feet, angry words being exchanged but I couldn't move myself. Stop fighting, you won.

"Who allowed you here!" The sad man growled. "I do not need anyone to tell me what I can or can not do! I am not one of you, mindless soldiers! Now if you do not step aside Oaf, I will remove you from that spot!"

"Brother, ease yourself, Buchanan was--" "Shut up Thor!"

Next moment I could feel the man's nimble, cold hands gently touch my forehead. I could sense him holding his breath, he was also angry, furious even. He traced his shaky finger down the side of my face, scraping the scales just lightly while getting the dried blood under his clean nails.

"You are the most selfless, foolish, idiotic creature who Midgard has ever seen." The man whispered to me. "So, Doctor Loki, how are the vitals?"

"He can hear you, Stark." Immediately I felt someone kneel beside me, their metal hand resting on my leg. "Why doesn't he open his eyes then?"

"He is exhausted." "I mean, we are all but I don't see us making a scene."

"he was hit with a bomb. Give him a break Stark."

"Pietro? Can you... You know the words. Change him back, we need to get him checked up immediately. I will take Wanda and Nat and go raid the base, see what's left of it. Tony, go and find Clint, you both need medical attention. Vision will come with us, Thor... Just, make sure they listen."

I zoned out, starting to feel my body again. And boy, I was a wreck.

The cold hand that rested on my shoulder was a relief, it was as if it didn't hurt as much from the lace the cold hand touched.