33

The moment my feet touched the dirty cement ground, there was a jolt of surprise and despair running up my spine

I was in a daze as the horrid sounds reached my sensitive ears. The sound of humming machines, screeching tires and people, so much talking. "Hey, what? I did not leave the oven on" "yes, kids are in school--" "-of course, I love him dad-" "uh, no, can't come, I'm sick" "yes, I spoke to the manager already" "oh your aunt died? That's horrible. Truly."

So much noise.

Frozen on the pavement, I was pulled out of the sea of voices when the smells of ruined oxygen attacked my nose. I pulled the hem of my dark shirt over my nose, staring at Pietro petrified.

Even thought when I was in base, I was usually locked up behind four walls, but at least there was silence.
Now that I'm free to do what I want and go where I want, I feel as if I'm suffocating on ruined air and drowning in everyone's voices.

Seeing my rigid posture and alarmed expression, Pietros grin was swept off his pale face.
He cleared his throat and took a step closer.

In my space. It's my space, mine.

I flash my eyes at him, giving him a warning growl that I didn't realize I was doing until I heard the low sound vibrating through my chest. Pietro halted, raising his hands and chuckling nervously. "I didn't think of that." he cleared his throat, lowering his hands slightly as he kept close eye on my stiff form.

"You know, just, ignore it hey? I guess it wasn't the best idea to introduce you to city life in a dark alley between stinking dumpsters." Pietro mumbled the last part, looking quite lost.

"okay, it's fine. Look, mate. Just block it out. I believe back in Hydra you were taught to analyze everything, am I right or am I right, hey, focus here mister!" he snapped his fingers, I flickered my eyes to him from the woman who was standing on the other side of the street yelling at an old man for having stumbled into her.

"Good, now, listen to me and only me. I think your senses are stronger than mine, so I'm going blindly into this. You just have to adjust. Don't let it overwhelm you, we don't want you to suddenly go all killing spree because that wouldn't be nice now would it?" I shook my head, still frozen on spot and staring at him wide eyed.

Focus on Pietro. Only on Pietro.

"good, dull it out. Ignore the chatter, the smell? I can't do anything about. But the noise, isn't that hard to ignore if you have chosen one object to focus on. I did it a lot back in Germany, when I got tired of listening the white coats I simply focused on the humming of one machine or sound of rain against window. And then I suddenly didn't hear their boring theories. Now, take your hands off your ears alright? And come with me. You gotta get used to this." He said, pointing at covered ears, I slowly removed my hands, not even realizing I had covered my ears with them.