Chapter 41 A Promise I Make

Chapter 41 ~ A Promise I Make

In Dylan’s POV…

Something is off. Cate seems distracted lately. When I first brought up the subject of us moving in together, she was really excited. Now whenever I bring up suggestions, she would just nod and agree to whatever I say. Her smiles do not reach her eyes. I do not want to ask or pry. She always tells me what is going on with her anyway. I just hope she tells me soon and that she has not changed her mind about our plans.

I picked her up from school and brought her to the apartment. I am hoping I could make her talk during dinner. I invited her to stay with me here tonight and over the weekend. I also invited Seth and Liam for dinner. We have not hung out since our trip to California. That was two weeks ago.

I could hear my girl laughing at whatever Seth was saying. I was just taking out the roasted ribs from the oven. I heard her laughter getting louder. “Dylan, look!” She burst into the kitchen with my iPad. “Liam transferred all our California photos here.” She showed me the photo that made her laugh.

It was of Seth when he took a tumble on his bicycle. We were in Napa on a bicycle wine tour and he did not see a big rock on his path because he was busy ogling some girls. He fell and ripped his shorts right at the crotch area.

“Hmm, I love this one.” I said when she got to the part where we were in the hot air balloon. I was standing behind her and my arms were wrapped around her. She looked up at me just in time for Liam’s shot. “You adore me.” I teased her and brushed my nose against hers.

“You bet I do.” She planted a kiss on my nose. “How’s dinner going?” She scrunched up her nose to smell the pasta sauce. She looks so cute. All her reactions are ingrained in my memory, even the ones starting from fourteen years ago when I first saw her in her cute, little red jumper and her pig tails. “I am hungry.” She pouted.

“Almost done, babe.” I said and stirred the sauce. I saw her put down the iPad and proceeded to set the table. She will make a perfect housemate. She does not have to be told what to do. I cannot help but smile. She will be perfect as Mrs. Cate O’Connor. My wife, my partner-in-crime. I just have to wait four more years until she graduates from college and then… Oh crap. Four years.

I watched her move around the kitchen. Four years?! I don’t think I can wait that long to make her officially mine. She settled on a seat after she is done and looked at the photos again. “I like this one.” She smirked and showed me a picture of us in a romantic tangle. Her gorgeous legs were wrapped around my waist and we were kissing. Oh, that was the time we were kissing and then she ditched me for Captain America.

“Do you like it because you remember Captain America?” I waggled my eyebrow. I set the baked potatoes on the table. I am not jealous of Captain America. He may be more muscular but I am definitely more handsome. I think.

“No.” Her long lashes fluttered as she looked up at me. I love it when she looks at me from beneath her long lashes. She looks so sweet and innocent and I am the only one who can bring out her wild side. “I like it because I remember the way we kissed. We didn’t care about the onlookers.” She stared at the picture again. “It was just you and me. And then I got distracted by Captain America.” She laughed. “It will not happen again. I promise.” She ended with a giggle.

“It will not happen again. I will make sure I am the only one you’ll ever see.” I smirked. “You’ll forget about Captain America after you taste my new pasta sauce.”

“What did you put on my food?” She eyed me suspiciously. I know she is just kidding. She is trying her best not to smile.

“Babe, I didn’t put anything in it. The boys will eat it too. I cannot put any love potion in there. They might fall for me too.” I shuddered at the thought.