Chapter 12 A Family Dinner and A Box of Memories

Chapter 12 ~ A Family Dinner and A Box of Memories

Aunt Lily and Uncle Aidan were in the lounge when Dylan and I walked in, hand in hand.

Uncle Aidan looked surprised when he saw us but his reaction was fleeting. He quickly rearranged his handsome features into a smile.

Aunt Lily’s reaction, on the other hand, was priceless. She had her mouth half open, like she was supposed to say something, and then the ‘pause button’ was pressed for a few seconds too long. She smiled, too. However, she has this look that seems to say she knows something I don’t. It is very much like Jessie’s reactions lately.

“How was your day?” That was Uncle Aidan, looking expectantly at both Dylan and me.

“Erhm. The usual.” That’s Dylan, a man of few words. I nudged him. “Our usual meant swimming, eating and sleeping all day.” I said; addressing Uncle Aidan.

Uncle Aidan chuckled. “If you two have been eating all day, do you still have room for dinner? Jessie prepared something special.”

“We always have room for Jessie’s cooking.” I answered for myself and Dylan. Right on cue, Jessie walked in with a big smile on her face inviting all of us to the dining room for dinner.

We all entered the dining room. There were two other seats Jessie has prepared.  I have no idea who will be here tonight. Dylan took the seat beside me.

“I think you should visit the city, Cate, so you can check out your new school.” Aunt Lily suggested smiling. I nodded. “I could visit next week.”

“I can drive you there.” Dylan offered.

“Dylan, that is so thoughtful.” Aunt Lily happily said.

“Only because I feel bad for her, her driving license was suspended.” He smirked. I glared at him and nudged him in the rib.

“I hate you.” I whispered. He chuckled. “No, you don’t.”

Aunt Lily and Uncle Aidan were just smiling at us. “Did you tell her?” Uncle Aidan turned to Aunt Lily. Aunt Lily shook her head. “Cate,” She started talking to me. “…when school starts; you will have to stay at the apartment in Manhattan. It will be difficult for you to travel every day if you stay here.”

“Have I seen this apartment?” I asked, hesitantly. Here goes another new thing, I thought.

I have moved around a lot since I was a kid. My dad worked for the army. Our family moved where he was assigned. I never really had a base. I never really made friends. This is the reason why I look forward to my summers at the Hamptons. It was the only constant in my life.

“No, we bought it just a year ago. Dylan can show you the place next week.” Aunt Lily answered my question, breaking my reverie. She looked at Dylan hopefully.

Dylan nodded, “Sure.”

“Don’t worry, Cate. We stay there some days during the week as well. We are thinking of getting Jessie there to look after you.” Uncle Aidan said.

I smiled at him. “Thank you for accommodating me, Uncle Aidan.”

He chuckled. “You are family, Cate. We take care of our family.” Aunt Lily was beaming while looking at me and Dylan.

“Whoops, are we late?” Seth walked in, followed by Derek. I glanced up and my gaze met Derek’s. He winked at me and smiled. I smiled back. ‘Absolutely gorgeous’, I thought.

 “Good evening everyone.” Derek greeted us and took his place at the table.

Conversation flowed while we ate. Derek is busy with a new account which will require him to travel between New York and Chicago. Dylan has chosen a major at Columbia Business School. Seth is having difficulty deciding which major to take at NYU but he is leaning towards the study of law. I felt such a loser to be an incoming high school senior starting over in a new school.