Chapter 28 The Birthday Celebrations

Chapter 28 ~ The Birthday Celebrations

“Noooo!” I shook my head vehemently.

Aunt Lily was insisting that I have a grand party for my birthday. I am the only Cerruti girl who will not have a grand debutante ball if I don’t agree to do this now. She said my mother and her had the same party.

“Think about it, Cate. You only turn eighteen once in your life.” She told me patiently like she was talking to a misbehaving toddler.

Ugh. I hate parties.

I hate crowds especially crowds who will always have something bad to say about your dress, or the food or the venue or the other guests. I don’t want to be around stiff, matronly divas and their shallow, plastic daughters.

Besides, I already made plans with Dylan, Seth, Felix and Kendall. Grandpa Dylan finally agreed to take me to go clubbing with him. I can taste alcoholic drinks again.

Woohoo! I prefer to celebrate in the company of my real friends.

I am glad to note that Dylan and Felix actually get along well. No jealousy or bad blood. Felix is also now seeing a classmate. Whew. Thank God, he did not pull a Julianna stunt.

“Can we just have dinner? The whole family, I mean.” I grinned sheepishly at her. “You could invite the grandparents, too.” I said, trying to sound convincing. She sighed and gave her best pout.

It looks like we will have a pouting match after all. May the best pout win.

I have a little extra up my sleeve. I got the puppy dog look. I am not backing down on this one. And, it.is.my.birthday.

I need to give this one more push before I unleash my puppy dog look. I am sure I will get Ian and Dylan on my side with that one in no time.

“Aunt Lily, I don’t like parties. What I really want to do is share my blessings.” I declared. I suddenly have an idea. “I want to cook for the people at the homeless shelter.” I said, getting more and more convinced at my idea.

“Go on…” Uncle Aidan encouraged me to continue. He has always been involved in worthy causes and this idea of mine is for a cause too.

“We visited this community in Queens for a school project. I met some women who work for non-profit organizations. These women used to stay at half-way houses themselves. Now, they have established a shelter for the homeless. So, they give this people roof over their heads but they don’t have enough for food. I want to celebrate my birthday there. I want to make people happy and full even for just a day.” I said, hoping to convince them that throwing money for a party just won’t make me happy.

“Where is this place again?” Aunt Lily sounds interested. I gave her the address. “I’ll have my assistant check it and we’ll see. So, definitely no party?” She asked again.

I nodded. “No party or ball. I will go out with Dylan and some friends. Maybe we could just have a quiet dinner? Just for family. And that’s it. And then, I will cook for the homeless.” I ended smiling and feeling proud of myself.

I heard Dylan snort. “Yeah, like you know how to cook.”

“I do.” I said, looking hurt. “I am going to cook French onion soup like grandma does it.”

“OK, if this pushes thru, I’ll help. Those people don’t have to suffer from Cate’s cooking.” My adorable boyfriend volunteered but still insulted my cooking skills.

I glared at him for his dig. He just shrugged off my glare.

“Well if this pushes thru, I’ll bring grandma to cook and Jessie, too.” Aunt Lily is smiling and jotting down notes on her journal.