Chapter 16 Dylan

Chapter 16 ~ Dylan

Dylan's POV

I decided to leave as soon as Seth and Cate walked out of the pavilion hand in hand. Julianna, who was sitting on my lap, almost landed on the marble floor when I stood up to leave without warning her.  I didn’t have time to say goodbye to my parents. They were busy discussing business with other guests.  I just wanted to get out of there. I was glad I brought my own car.

I had to pick up Julianna earlier to take her to the White Luncheon. Since Cate agreed to be Derek’s date and I didn’t know how I could say no to Julianna without her throwing a tantrum, I just decided to accept the invitation to be her date.

I wonder why Derek would ask Cate to be his date. Does my brother like her? I know Seth likes Cate. Do I have to deal with Derek too?

I heard people raving about Cate when I arrived with Julianna. They actually thought Cate is dating Derek. I even heard one of the polo players congratulating my brother for his great find. I rolled my eyes. I wanted to scream that Cate is my…

My what? I don’t know if I even stand a chance with her.  When I saw her standing close to Seth, my heart broke all over again. Are they together now? How is it that I keep losing her?

When she opted to sit with the Cohens, I was crushed. She chose to be with Seth, my best friend.  I had to content myself to watch Cate from across the ballroom. She was having so much fun with Seth and his family. When Seth kissed her, I was so mad I wanted to trash the whole place. Of course, no one would be happy about that. I managed to keep myself in check.

I asked Macy to bring Cate a slice of her favorite strawberry shortcake. I want her to realize that I know her more than anyone. I watched as she ate the cake happily. Unfortunately, she was smiling at Seth and not at me. I was stuck with Julianna, who can’t stop looking at me like a love sick puppy. I need to stop seeing her and giving in to all her whims if I pursue Cate.

I didn’t know where to go.  I have been driving around for an hour. I headed to the lake house. I need to think and decide once and for all if I should pursue Cate or not. Jessie posted that question to me on the day Cate and I were scheduled to go to the lake house. I decided to leave with Cate early to have some alone time with her before pesky Seth joins us.

I had decided to forget Cate and get on with my life. She has always been at the back of my mind in all my relationships with other women. I tried so hard to forget her but every time I try, I would hear an update about her from Derek or Lily. I would see her photo on Lily’s work desk when she asks me to pick her up from her office. I had to restart forgetting Cate each time.

When I saw her again at our kitchen a few nights ago, my resolve to forget her has wavered. I spent six long years of loving her, pining for her and waiting for her to come back. Just when I have decided to move on, she came back. And man, does she look gorgeous. I could tell she is the same old Rosie that I fell in love with as a child. A beautiful, grown up Cate is just an improved version of my cute, little Rosie.

Our stay at the lake house proved that we still have the same chemistry as before. The way we interact with each other has not changed. I felt the same electricity when I kissed her. It is even more intense now.

Seth sent me the photo he took of Cate and me. We fell asleep in the hammock at the lake house. She was sleeping peacefully in my arms. I know she belongs with me.

I can’t understand what Seth is doing hanging out with Cate and kissing her. I thought he was on my side. He knew I was crazy in love with Cate. Wasn't he with me when I was sulking because she did not arrive for the summer?