Chapter 14 At the White Luncheon

Chapter 14 ~ At the White Luncheon

My thoughts are in a jumble while we walked towards the pavilion. Why would Derek say it is sad and depressing that I did not contact Dylan while I was away, but then it was for the better? Does he not want me to contact Dylan? I need to get to the bottom of this. Maybe Ian knows something. I’ll call him later, I thought.

Derek and I were walking behind Aunt Lily and Uncle Aidan. People were greeting them and I was introduced as, Aunt Lily’s niece of course.  They would give me compliments for my dress and my pretty face. Most have said Derek and I look good together. After explaining several times to the older couples that we are not together, we just decided to let it go. It was getting tiring to explain so we just went with the flow.

Derek’s phone rang and he held my hand firmly to keep me beside him. “I have my eye on you. Stay put.” He ordered. Like I would go anywhere, I thought. I hardly know anyone.

My own phone vibrated and I took it out from my bag. It is Ian calling.

 “Hey sis! How are you? I saw your picture. You look great!” Ian rambled.

“Uhm. Thanks. Hey, Ian before I forget tomorrow is Aunt Lily’s and Uncle Aidan’s anniversary dinner.” I reminded him. “Are you coming?”

 “Yeah. I know. I’ll try. I cannot promise that I’ll make it tomorrow but I will be there sometime next week. I need to do something in New York.” He said.

Derek has let go of my hand and had moved slightly away, still talking on the phone. I am taking this opportunity to ask Ian questions.

“Ian, I did not know you were still in contact with Derek.” I casually mentioned.

“He is a friend, Cate. Of course, we talk and email each other.” Ian said. I can picture him shrugging as he said that.

“I did not contact Dylan.” I almost whispered. I feel so bad about the fact that I did not bother contacting Dylan. The boy I said I loved.

“Cate, don’t beat yourself up for it. Has something happened?” Ian asked sounding worried.

“No. Nothing happened. Derek just said the fact that I did not contact them was sad and depressing but it was probably for the better. Don’t they want me to be close to Dylan? I am confused.” I winced still not understanding Derek’s words.

“Is Derek with you?” Ian asked. “Yes.” I said

“Pass him the phone. I need to speak to him.” Ian ordered. I walked over to Derek to hand him my phone.

“Ian needs to speak with you.” I told Derek. He just nodded and took the phone. He walked slightly away from me and I tried hard to listen in on their conversation. It all came back as muffled sounds.

After a few minutes of twiddling my thumbs, Derek walked over to me. I was leaning by a huge pillar in the pavilion, partly hidden from all the people milling around. He handed me back my phone. “Cate, I am sorry if I confused you with what I said in the car.” Derek started.

“I am not in a position to tell you all the things that you want to know but I will tell you what I can.” Derek said. I am just staring at him, eager to listen. He sighed, looking unsure of what to say.

“When I said it was sad and depressing that you did not contact us, I meant we were sad that you forgot about us. Although we hear about how you are doing from Ian, we hoped that you will get in touch with us personally.” Derek checked for my reaction.

I am sure I look guilty. Didn’t I explain this to Dylan and Seth before?, I thought. I did not want them to hear about the stories of misery, of living away from the only friends I’ve known and being dumped in boarding schools.