Chapter 26 One Last Hurray for Summer

Chapter 26 ~ One Last Hurray for Summer

When I got back at the lake house, Derek is fixing the grill. “Our order will arrive in a few minutes. I need to get the fire started.” He said smiling.

“Do we have enough wood? I passed by some drift wood. I could go back and pick them up.” I offered.

“Yeah, that would help. There’s a lot of wood here but we need those fiery little ones.” He said smiling.

I headed off to the direction I came from, looking out to the sea. I picked up the dried sticks while I played with the waves letting them catch me towards the shore. When I’ve picked up enough, I headed back to the house and dumped all of them onto the pile Derek prepared.

I walked back towards the sea, gazing up at the sky. It is going to be a clear night. The stars are starting to appear one by one. I took out a long dried stick of wood and wrote on the sand.

 Cate loves D

I didn’t get to finish what I was writing before someone asked, “Who’s D?”

I turned to find Dylan standing behind me, hands in his pockets. I didn’t hear him approach. “I swear you are a ninja. Where did you come from?”

He laughed softly. “I came down from the heavens to grace you with my awesomeness. Who’s D?”  He asked again. He is looking at the writing on the sand and then on my face. Like the answer is written on my face.

Seeing him standing there looking so cool and adorable, I can’t bring myself to be upset with him anymore. All I can think about right now is I want to smother him with kisses and hug the life out of him.

I can’t do that though because my heart is beating too fast again and my brain is scattered somewhere. My reactions are in slow motion because of it.

He raised an eyebrow obviously waiting for a response. 

I decided to tease him a little bit. “D is…D-d-d-derek?” No, that came out more like a question. He smiled obviously catching on.

“Derek.” He stated again, nodding. “Are you sure it is Derek and not…Delix?” He asked narrowing his eyes at me. I shook my head smiling.

I realized I have not told him anything about my conversation with Felix the other day. Cranky Boy is being jealous for nothing. Felix has accepted my relationship with him graciously.

“Deth?” He asked again, making a face. I can’t help but laugh. “You know, Deth Dohen?”

“No, D is actually for Dendall.” I said winking at him.

“You’re one hot lesbian then.” He smirked.

His eyes are twinkling in the night like little stars. He stepped closer and held out his arms. His intense gaze pulled me towards him and I step into his arms. He hugged me tight and kissed my forehead.

“I love you Daitlin.” He whispered and kissed me again. I felt him smile against my forehead. He really likes making fun of me.

“I love you Dylan.” I said looking up at him. “I am sorry that I walked out on you this morning.”

“I am sorry, too. I should have at least told you a little bit of what’s going on while ensuring you don’t get anywhere near Julianna.” He touched my face. “But Cate, I didn’t want you to be worried that’s why I didn’t tell you.” He is looking at me pleadingly, asking me to understand.

I nodded, understanding where he is coming from. I tiptoed to give him a quick kiss on the lips. “I understand but I hope you would trust me enough that I will not do anything stupid.”