Chapter 18 Operation Bring Back That Lovin' Feeling

Chapter 18 ~ Operation Bring Back That Lovin' Feeling

I woke up smiling on a Monday morning.  My plans to sleep until noon did not push thru. Once again, my window was pelted with pebbles. There are more pebbles now than the last time. I groggily walked over to my window and found four young men throwing small stones at me. I sighed. Some things never change.

I hurriedly took a shower and prepared to face my summer tormentors. Dianne and Jessie greeted me as I came down the stairs. They each had serving dishes on hand. “Breakfast will be by the pool.” Jessie said.

“Can I grab something at the kitchen for you?” I offered. She shook her head. “Nope, we got it. Join the others outside.”

I went outside and saw Dianne’s kids, Martin and Olivia, swimming and splashing water in the pool with their dad, Nick and their grandfather, Uncle Aidan. Ian, Seth and Dylan were huddled together in a lounge chair. I cannot hear what they were discussing. Aunt Lily is poring thru the brochures Ian handed her last night. She is already seated at the table. Derek is nursing a hangover. He is lounging in the pool, wearing sunglasses.

“Ooh, someone is excited about her trip.” I teased Aunt Lily as I sat beside her.

She chuckled. “I didn’t get to sleep last night. My mind is already swimming in the waters of the Aegean.”

“I’ve always wanted to go to Santorini. I got tired of all the other beaches in southern France.” I chuckled.

“Why didn’t you go?” She asked.

I shook my head, pouting. “No one would take me. Ian is busy with work. Grandma and grandpa won’t let me go with my friends.”

“Hmm well you could go with us.” Aunt Lily offered.

I shook my head again. “Nah. That vacation is for you. I’ll go some other time.”

“Good morning, sis.” Ian greeted me, mussing my hair.

“Iannnnn…” I complained and tried to fix my hair again. He just chuckled and took the seat beside me.

“Don’t worry. You’re still the hottest chick within a one mile radius. Messy hair, puffy eyes and all.” I heard Seth say. I turned to glare at him and found him wagging his eyebrow at me.  He took the seat  opposite mine. Aunt Lily just laughed at his comment.

“I totally agree. Good morning, puffy.” Another summer tormentor, Dylan commented. He took the seat on my left.

I sighed. It is only almost eight in the morning and the teasing has already begun. I scowled at the thought that I would have to deal with more of these the entire day. I always get picked on because I am the only girl in the group.

Derek took his sunglasses off as he approached the table. “What’s the matter grumpy? I am the one with the hangover. Not you.” I just rolled my eyes at him. The guys just laughed.

The kids, Nick and Uncle Aidan got out of the pool so we could start breakfast. Dianne and her family will be leaving in the afternoon to catch a flight to Colorado where Nick’s parents are based. Aunt Lily and Uncle Aidan will all drive early to the city in the morning to work. They will be staying at their city loft. Derek will fly out to go to Chicago tonight. Ian is staying at the W New York for two nights for work and will then fly to California to be a best man in his friend’s wedding.

“…that leaves you and Dylan here for the rest of the week. When do you plan to check out your school and the apartment?” Aunt Lily inquired, picking up her glass of orange juice.