Chapter 31 On Courage and Sleeping

Chapter 31 ~ On Courage and Sleeping

“See you in December! I will be spending Christmas here.” Kendall said as she hugged me goodbye.

We sent her off to the airport after our weekend celebration. She is going back to the boarding school in France.

“Try to get back earlier. We could go Christmas shopping together.” I said smiling.

“I’ll try. Have you told him yet?” She glanced at Dylan’s direction worriedly. He is busy talking to Felix.

Kendall was asking me if I have explained the incident at the club last Friday night. I shook my head. “I don’t know how to say it. He might get mad.”

“I think it is better if it comes from you. What if Jason the Ass gets to tell him first? We wouldn’t know what version he would cook up.” She said, trying to convince me.

I sighed. “Courage. I need loads of it.”

“Felix could help you explain.” She suggested.

“I don’t want to drag him in my issues again.” I shook my head vigorously.

“I am just saying in case you need help…” Her voice faltered. She was looking at someone behind me.

“What do you need help with, baby?” I heard Dylan’s voice and I almost jumped in surprise. He is looking at me with questioning eyes.

“I need help with…my homework.” I smiled up to him.

The corner of his mouth twitched slightly. That means he wanted to say something but he stopped himself. Crap, it also means he knew I was lying.

“Well, I need to check in now. See you guys! Don’t miss me too much.” Kendall started walking backwards. She hit her chest with a closed fist. “Courage.” She said to me and then turned around and kept walking towards the airline counters.

I need to do this alone. Courage. Yeah. I need loads of them to face Dylan. I could feel his eyes studying my face right now.

We drove back to the Manhattan apartment without talking. I feel so guilty lying to him. I don’t dare talk to him. He might be mad at me for lying.

I went straight to my bedroom as soon as we arrived. I noticed Jessie threw a questioning look at Dylan when I walked past her kitchen without saying hello. Crinkles followed me to my room.

After a while, I heard a knock on my door. I was on my bed staring at the ceiling and I closed my eyes. I am so not ready to tell him what happened. I heard the door silently open and close. I felt my bed dip as someone sat on it.

“Since when did you learn to lie to me?” I heard him ask.

Oh my god. He is so calm when he asked that but I think I am having palpitations right now. I am only scared of two people. Dylan and Ian.

I don’t think my pouts and puppy dog look will get me out of trouble this time. It is time to face the music, Cate. What are you so afraid of? You’re not the bad guy, I tried to convince myself.

I sat up on my bed and wrapped my arms around his neck from behind. “I am sorry.” I said meekly.

He reached out to grab me from behind him and sat me on his lap. I couldn’t meet his gaze so he held my chin up so I could look at him in the eye. “I am sorry I lied.” I repeated.

He sighed. “Why do you have to lie?”

“I don’t know how to explain things to you.” I bit my lip. How do I start?