Chapter 15 The (Polo) Playing Field

Chapter 15 ~ The (Polo) Playing Field

I did not sleep too well last night. I strained to hear if someone would enter the room across the hall, Dylan’s room. I did not hear anything. My suspicions were confirmed that he did not come home last night when he was not there during breakfast. I was so not in the mood.

“Cate, stop playing with your food.”  Aunt Lily scolded me like I am a little child. I pouted and stopped rearranging the food on my plate. I noticed Derek smirk and roll his eyes across the table. I glared at him discreetly. He just chuckled.

“Derek, where is your brother?” Uncle Aidan asked. “I did not see him after the lunch party and he is not here now. Did he tell you where he was going?”

Derek shrugged and scratched his head. “Dad, Dylan is twenty years old. You shouldn’t worry about him too much. He might have spent the night with Julianna.” He glanced at me smugly, obviously waiting for my reaction.

I was trying my best to maintain my composure. I narrowed my eyes at Derek and he just grinned. It is a good thing I do not know where Julianna lived. I would have gone over there and dragged Dylan out.

“I thought they’ve broken up?” Aunt Lily asked furrowing her brow. She daintily put a piece of toast in her mouth. She really looks like my mom and I miss my mom terribly.

My mother would have said something funny to make me feel better about the situation I am in. Come to think of it, I would not have gone away if she and my dad were still here. Dylan and I would have grown up together and we’ll be together. I slumped back in my chair. I can’t think of what could have been. I need to think of what should be.

“Dylan broke up with her but hmmm…” Derek trailed off. “Ah, you know how the Marquardts are like.” He finished waving his hand dismissively. He picked up his cup of coffee.

My eyes grew as wide as saucers. Wait, Marquardt? Did Derek mean Lady Marquardt? Julianna is a Marquardt? The Marquardts are very pushy people. They will stop at nothing to get what they want.

This is going to be harder that I thought it would be. I closed my eyes, feeling so tired.

 “Good morning, everyone.” Seth’s voice boomed loudly in the quiet dining room. He clapped Uncle Aidan’s and Derek’s backs, kissed the top of Aunt Lily’s head and sat beside me.

 “Good morning, darling.” Seth greeted me. I stared at him not understanding what he meant at first when he called me darling. My lack of sleep has affected my brain waves. I smiled slowly as realization hit me.

“Hello darling.” I said back.

It was Aunt Lily’s eyes that grew as wide as saucers this time. I felt Uncle Aidan tense. I heard him clear his throat. “This is going to be an interesting summer.” He mumbled. He had his elbows on the table and his hands together. He was looking at me and Seth. Seth and I just looked back at him and smiled. Derek was staring at us probably trying to decipher our plot.

“Would anyone care to explain what is going on?” Aunt Lily begged. “Are you two dating?” She asked looking at me and Seth.

 We both just smiled not saying a word. Aunt Lily sighed. She glanced at Derek who just shrugged. “Not saying a word.” Derek mouthed silently.

 “You ready to go?” Seth asked, drinking the orange juice from my glass. “Nope.” I said.

“I thought so.” He chuckled, ruffling my hair.