28

Candice

The female that Derek brought home surprisingly still remained in the house, even though he noticed the discomfort from Rey. There had to be something going on, if he just randomly kept her here. They had to be hiding something. He never kept any girl here longer than two hours.

Rey and I sat in my room the rest of the night, cranking the music to its maximum and bopping to an old school R&B song. A male sang, hitting every note and even a few falsettos.

Male and female interaction, love games and hard knock relationships. I smiled at how dreamy his voice was in my ear. It made me wonder, what could I possible offer any guy, whom I may encounter in the near future? What could he possibly offer me? But in this present time, I was wrapped up something that I knew I couldn't have but wanted.

It was so difficult to clear my consciences when I knew what was at stake, the relationship of two people, which I had no business ruining intervening.

I heard a loud bump sound over the music and I shot up from my computer chair, turning to the door that was creaked open, a shadow flashing through the tiny space.

Someone was knocking.
"Come in," I yelled, over the loud music and got up to shut it off. Rey sat up on her elbows to looked up at me in a 'why did you do that?' glare.

I shrugged my shoulders and turned in shock to see the girl, everyone probably wondered about, standing there, shyly with our house phone in l hand. She was like a little lost child in a full grown body, no clue what to do with herself.

Rey's facial expression remained the same, except, angry paired up with it causing her to look like one sad mess. Her hair was all over the place, while her tired red eyes shot lethal bullets.
We could've all been dead they were real...

I stared at the girl who was still standing around, eying both of us, a frown marking her forehead.

"Uh, what can I do for you?" I asked, trying to be as pleasant as I could.

"Well, ya', brother, asked me to give you this." She said lifting the house phone from her side in my direction. Now the more she spoke, the more I noticed that there was a slight English accent, mixed in with the an island. Where in the world did Derek find this girl?

"Oh, well, thank you." I giggled and took the phone out her hand slowly and a lopsided grin came across her face. Her ribs length, silky black cascading around her her small head.

It was shiny and thick and wild.
It had to be. I could see she ran her fingers through as it touched the scalp. And she looked away nervous.

Why the heck was I even looking at her?

"Ok then, I'll, leave you to it then." she giggled nervously and turned bumping into my dresser with her shoulder, rushing out quickly rubbing it, whispering curse words. The minute the bedroom door close, I heard Rey, laugh out hysterically and turn over to her side to hold her stomach.

"What, someone smack you with a bag of drugs or something?" I said sarcastically, looking to the phone. Someone obviously called me and was on hold for a long time, maybe even hung up.

I placed the receiver to my ear.

"Hello?" I calmly said, waiting for a response. Quiet. I repeated one last time, still no response.

I hung up.

Oh well, they'll probably call back, I shrugged and placed it at my computer desk. I realized that Rey stopped laughing and was now looking at me, questioningly. I shrugged again. I flopped onto the bed next to her, feeling so exhausted and drained. I could've just fallen asleep right there.

It was approaching midnight and I was about to doze off. Lately these nights, I've able to catch some early rest and wake up early. It felt great to be refreshed instead of groggy...

"That was the highlight of my night." I hear Rey say over me, out of nowhere. I got up slightly and watched her at the corner of my eye.

"Huh?" I said dumbfounded.

"I said that was the highlight of my night." She repeated.

"What was?" I frowned.

"Her, that girl, hitting the dresser just now, you know? It was funny." She smiled and waited for me to catch on. I just looked at her with blank expression on my face. I rolled my eyes and turned back over, flopping down into the pillow, shutting my eyes and ignoring her sudden energetic behavior. She would have to get over this Derek thing, one way or another, but in the mean time, I wanted to rest.

We both managed to stay quiet and still, not mentioning one thing about what was happening outside the room, by any means. My stomach swiftly began to growl and I clenched it, knowing exactly what had to be done, sleep had to wait for a second, because there was a midnight snack in my fridge some where and it was calling my name. I needed to eat.

I slowly rose up from the bed and Rey turned in response tiredly.

"Where are you going?" She whined, in a tiny voice.

"Down stairs to get a snack." I said turning again. "Relax, I'll be back...Do you want anything?" I asked, my back to her.

I heard no response, so I walked further to the door.
"Some cookies would be nice." she later yelled, right when I was out the door.

Ugh, I'm just a babysitting today!

I closed the door easily behind me so I wouldn't make a sound so to avoid Derek. Maybe he was in the kitchen, waiting for me or maybe I was just being a paranoid dummy and overacting.

I trotted downstairs anyway, making it my mission to eat a late night snack.