37

Nathan

After I almost had a heart attack with Candice, I grabbed her up quickly and ran as fast as I could out the bay leaving behind clothes and everything. When we got to my car, I gently sat her in the front seat and placed the seat belt securely over her. It was like she was half consciences and all I knew was I needed to get her to a hospital urgently.

I ran to the driver's side, got in and revved up, my foot mashing the gas. Throughout the drive, I observed Candice every now and then to make sure she was still breathing. Once my eyes were focused on the road I heard groans and cries. My head promptly snapped her way detecting that her eyes were still closed but her hands held her temple and her face bearing a frown.

"Candy, can you hear me?" I yelled stupidly, my eyes dancing between the road and her. She released a soft another groan.

"Nathan?" she said, her voice cracked and another groan followed.

"Yes, I'm here, can you focus and open your eyes for me?" I said as I reached for her hand. I felt it trembling with the rest of her body.

"Nathan, what's going on? My head hurts." She cried holding her head some more.

"Candy, its going to be alright." I reassured her although I knew the consequences that would follow. "Sit tight, I'm taking you to the hospital."

I squeezed her hand.

"No. Don't-don't take me there." She cried out.

"Candy, I have to. Your in bad condition." I protested and gave her a concerned eye, even while her eyes were closed.

"No, please Nathan, I don't can't. Please!" she pleaded and proceeded to move her body but failed and ended up slamming back into the headrest.

"Candy, you need professional help right now." I tried to convince her.

"Nathan, I won't stop begging you. Just take me home. I don't need a hospital please, I don't want a hospital. Please take me..."

"Ok, fine I'll take you home." I gave in. It was so hard to say no. It sounded as though she would burst into tears if I didn't oblige...

We were soon on our way to her house and the ride was suddenly silent.

The feeling of fear came on and the thought of what her Mother might say or do, filled my head with the negatives.
It all spiraled back to me. I was the one responsible for this whole ordeal.

"Nathan?" I heard her call me and there was the sound of yearning in her voice

"Yes." I answered.

"Thank you." She placed her hand on top of mines and began to squeeze, matching my hold on hers. A warm feeling flowed through me and I felt a strong pull in my chest. I felt emotionally drawn to her.

When we arrived at her house, I exited the car and sprinted to her side. I took off her seatbelt and attempted to lift her.

Capturing the state of her face that was washed out and swollen. I caught a glimpse of small scratches above her eyebrow bone. I cautiously grazed my thumb over it and felt the hard exterior of dried up blood. I felt the heat of her skin slowly rising under my touch and I hesitated to move it. I couldn't help but move in and slightly planted a tiny prolonged kiss where the scratch splayed bluntly on her eyebrow, cheek and neck.

My eyes glanced down causally to her closed one's and I searched over her features but soon after, her eyes fluttered opened and we connected. I never felt so much pressure on my body before. It was like she had some sort of hold on me, like she was controlling me with her mind.

"Hey," I whispered and tried to move but it was so difficult.

"Hey," She whispered her voice hoarse and cracked but it drew my body in more as I was glued to her red, exhausted eyes. Even through it all, I still believed she was the most beautiful girl I'd ever laid eyes on. We both smiled weakly and like clock work, my mind flashed back to what I said at the beach earlier. Hoping she heard me because I meant it.

In the short period of time that we've known each other, I felt it without a doubt that she was the missing piece that I needed in my life.

The sound of a door slamming, caught my attention and I jumped up to find Candice's mom rushing down the driveway like a bullet.

"Oh my goodness, what happen here?" Worry and concern painted her face and I heard an accent that wasn't there when I met her.

"Mom calm down." Candice spoke up, moving to adjust herself.

"No, you be quiet, I let you go out for a few hours and you come back a mess?!" She yelled shaking her hands.

"Oh my goodness." Candice sounded fustrated. I was just remained in-between the two as they exchanged words.

"Jeez, Nathan, please take me upstairs before I combust." Candice reached for me and I complied. I was scared of both of women as they both appeared like they would combust.

Mrs. Moore didn't say another word as I took Candice to the house and up to her room, bridal style. Candice was still soaking wet from her wetsuit and her hair was damp, therefore, I couldn't cross the line. She was practically naked under the suit.

"I can handle it." Mrs. Moore walks in and takes over. "I'll see how bad it is. why don't you wait downstairs?" She said looking for the opening to the suit.

"It's in the back." I pointed out and she raised a finger for approval.

"Thanks."

I turned to walk out the door and Mrs. Moore stops me.

"Oh, Nathan sweetie, there's some refreshments in the fridge and if you're hungry, go right ahead and fix yourself a snack."

I didn't hesitate or object. I rushed downstairs to the kitchen and fixed me something to eat. I sat in the stool with a can of Ginger Ale in one hand and a Honey Turkey sandwich in the other. I felt the pit in my stomach disappearing, taking hasty bites, not bothering to fully chew. All of this was just so hard to take.

All I cared about was Candice's well being and that her injuries didn't lead up to permanent damage. I continued to with my sandwich and decided to whip out my phone to wildly Google random things about drowning

Brain Damage!?! I nearly choked on a piece of my sandwich.