25

Nathan

We all sat there at the table, stiffly, after they both had emerged from around the corner, the sharpest urge of curiosity came over me and I wondered what was going on. It became pretty apparent that Rey had said something to Candice and I couldn't tell if it was a good or bad thing...

I tried to search her face past her pained expression.

"Candy babe, it's getting late, I gotta get home and I don't want to leave you, but I still got this headache and I'm super tired." Rey spoke, yawning and stretching, followed by a small hand under her chin. I could see the exhaustion on her face and the swelling under her eye was slowly going down, she kept giving an eye to the clock on the stove.

I snapped my head to Candice, who had her head down. Was there some secret code I didn't get the memo on?

"You know what Rey, why don't you go ahead, I mean you've done a lot, so you deserve some sleep." I said not taking my eyes off Candice, whose eyes immediately met mines. I gave her a sheepish grin and winked and she gasped, eyes widened.

"Oh, are you sure sailor?" Rey said looking between us, but we only looked at each other deeply, like we had taken a piece of one another and the parts of me that wanted her so badly were fighting to break free and have her.

I wished that Rey would just go so I just could be alone with Candice and at the same time I didn't trust myself, If I found I had the opportunity.

"Rey, did you call Derek?" Candice suddenly said giving Rey a quick scold and then looked back up to me, licking her bottom lips. I felt my stomach tighten.

"Yea, but you know he has class and is studying so he wouldn't be home till later." she replied, getting up from her seat.

"Oh." Candice whispered a hint of disappointment in her voice.

I figure she and Rey were definitely speaking some sort of cryptic language because I had no idea what it had to do with now. Then again, maybe she didn't want me here and most likely wanted me to go away. I took a deep breath and forced my legs to move away. There was some sort of magnetic pull whenever I was near her.

"Yea I should get going now." Rey said turning to walk out the kitchen.

"Wait." I stopped her and she spun around quickly, "Do you need a ride?" I said trying my hardest not to look at Candice.

"Uh, yea, I'm set." She said turning again, without another word and walks around the corner. I heard her footsteps beating on the stairs, one heavy thump at a time.

"Thank you." I heard Candice say from behind me in a hushed sweet tone.

"For what?" I answered, my body frozen and my back to her, catching her inhaled deeply.

"For, taking care of me..." I felt her presences close to me and I tensed up. I turned quickly.

"No need for the thanks. I don't mind being here for you." I looked down at her beautiful face and couldn't help myself. My fingers trailed across her soft cheek, up to tucked a piece of hair behind her ears. It lingered and she let her face fall in my hands.

Everything about her was so sexy. Her complexion, its smoothness and even the way it contrasted with mine. I would have never pictured my self with a girl like her before.

You're perfect, I said to my self with a smile and my hand still on her face.

"What was that?" she said propping up shyly. I hadn't realized that I said that out loud.

"Uh, I-I better go." I said pushing my self to walk away. I wish I could stay away, but that would never happen.

"Oh well, are you sure?" She said looking into my eyes innocently, but It was also filled with some many things I couldn't describe.

"Yea, I have a few things to do today." I said truthfully, thinking of the loads of homework I left hanging in my backpack. I cursed inwardly at the thought.

I sucked in air and reached into my pocket for my cell, 8:45 pm was approaching, four missed calls, seven unread text messages, one voicemail. I heard the thumps coming back down the stairs again.

Candice moved away from me and we headed out the kitchen together.
Rey stood at the bottom of the stairs with a little brown duffle bag that bulged at the top.

"I fought with this thing. I almost jacked up the stupid zipper." She gestured to the bag. She walked pass Candice and I and stopped at the front door, setting down the bag. Her arms flew wide open.

Candice sauntered into them and they both squeezed each other, leaving pecks on each others cheek and plans to meet up after school tommrow.

"I'll call you when I get in the house, if you don't hear from me, you know why." She winked.

"I'll head out with you." I suggested, gesturing my hand in the air. She nodded, perplexed and stood waiting, looking at nothing on the wall to her right.

I walked up to Candice and placed a hand on her shoulder.
"I want to see you again." I eyed her, hoping she wouldn't protest.

"Really, when?" she said surprisingly, a smile on her face.

"Whenever you like, I'll let you know." She nodded in agreement.

"Cool."

"Cool.." I repeated, standing there, watching her, watching me.

Next, she threw me off guard by leaning in on her tippy toes to place a warm kiss on my cheek. Now this was something that I can savor.

Rey cleared a throat.

"Get a room." She coughed, heading out the door shaking her head. I laughed and so did Candice. There was a mixture of mellowness and excitement. It was cute to hear a little snort when she stopped. It felt like we could be here for days, if I didn't start moving as soon as possible.

I headed out the door behind Rey and I watched her call out goodbyes after us. Rey launched her bag in the back seat of her car and walking around to get in.

"Later Gator," She shouted over the loud engine and closed the door. I smiled, positive that she did too and waved as she pulled out the driveway.

I headed to my car, sitting there, allowing the day to soak in. It was pretty interesting, remembering the kiss Candice gave me, tingling at my cheek.

My engine roared to life, vibrating around me. I caught a glimpse of Candice"s house one last time, backing out from where I parked. I switched on the radio and stopped at a light. I laid my head on the steering wheel took in a smooth, all to familiar R&B song that blasted through my speakers.

I thought of Candice as I sang along.