27

Nathan

For the past few days, I thought of how I would approach, Candice but there was this feeling, that she was trying to avoid me. I wanted to investigate to see if it was true, but then I thought, maybe I should give her some space. The week was coming to an end again and I wondered what this weekend had in store.

My last class with, Mr. Kim, dragged on longer than usual. We discussed, the world of art and how it can play through in our everyday lives, and we all had to write a paper about four ways it's played a part in our lives. I could only think of two that were based around my love for music and food but the other two were a challenge.

"Ok, class. The bell's about to ring, so please have this turned in no later than Tuesday during our next class." Mr. Kim announced, his hand clasp together, eyeing the room intently.
He was a pretty laid back Art history teacher, but when it came to his papers, his standards were pretty high. He allowed us to express how we felt anyway we wanted and always made an exception for if we had a good enough excuse.

"Oh come on, Mr. K, this shit is bogus, why can't we just cut this down to a questionnaire?" Tyler, one of my classmates shouted out. He always protested for any sum of work. He was plainly a complainer and everyone hated to hear him speak.

We always found some way to make him shut up and if that didn't work, Mr. Kim would read our actions and join in as well to help. 'Does detention for a week sound more up your ally, Ty?' he would threaten, when Tyler was persistent, and it always worked.

"Well Ty, no we can't make this a questionnaire, I have a syllabus to follow and if you don't stop complaining, how will you survive college?" Mr. Kim glared at him as he began to fiddle with his desk, finally lifting his hand to reveal a pink slip for detention.

"Ok sir, my bad, I just go shit to do." He said leaning back in his chair, pretending to be cool.

"Double negative, Ty, and I don't care if you have, 'shit' to do. I want this paper complete and on my desk, otherwise expect a big fat F, for the semester."

Tyler automatically shut his mouth and Mr. Kim smiled in satisfaction at his accomplishment. He chuckled and wiped a tear from his eye whilst gathering papers to clear off his desk.

The class joined in and pointed in laughter at Tyler, who was flushed, twiddling at his fingere. He never learns.

I shook my head just as the bell rang.

I packed up my books and exited class, with everyone trailing behind me. Entering the hallway, I went to my locker to get my things situated in my backpack.

A locker not to far from mine, closed. I looked over to see Casey, one of my boys, reaching in for something.
"What's up man?" I greeted after I closed my locker, he kept his eyes in his.

"Oh, hey man, nothing much, just about to go to work. " he said, pulling out some black, dusty gloves and a jumpsuit. Casey worked as a mechanic in one of those small cornered, auto repair shops, close by our school in town.

"Oh." I said, now leaning on my locker. There was something odd in the atmosphere.

"Look, man, I'm sorry about the party last night, alright. I didn't mean to skip out on you like that. I even heard some of those dorks helped you out and it pissed me off that I didn't do something." He protested, slinging his duffle over his shoulder, shutting his locker a little to heavy handed. "I know I owe you." He said, reminded of the favor last time I loaned him money for some part. He also, fixed up his own rides and his job salary didn't pay enough to cover the cost, so I loaned him some cash.

"Hey, its no problem, I'm just looking out for my boy. I know you'd do the same for me." I said, moving closer to him to give him a pound. He wasn't as well off as my family, as he worked to help to take care of three younger siblings, living in a single parent home. His father working a dead end job after his mother left them behind for another man.

"Thanks man, I appreciate it." he grinned and I remained serious. "Hey, you busy now?" he said pulled out his phone to text.

"Uh no, why?"

"I was wondering if you want to come by the shop with me today?" He looked on, for an answer and I thought about it. I mean, it would be good to get out the house for a while since there wasn't much to do today...

"Sure, why not." I agreed and we strolled to the parking lot together. Casey got on his motorcycle and instructed me to follow him there. Upon pulling up to the shop, I noticed there were a few cars parked outside the garage and the vinyl was up a few feet, but no one was insight.

"Casey man, where is everybody?" I said looking around for signs of people.
I got out my car, locked it and went over to Casey, who parked his bike, yanked off his helmet and stood up.

"Benny and Drew are coming in later." he replied, referring to his co-workers.

I noticed he had eyes for Drew, the only female mechanic in the shop. I guess she never bother to give him the time of day. She was pretty cute, but she was so bitchy that she reminded me so much of Gail. Entitled and immature or perhaps it was a just for show.

"What's going on these days?" I said walking past him, ignoring the weird vibe I picked up from him.

I looked around closely at all the cars parked in their stations, while others were stacked on one another. Casey dropped his duffle in the corner and went to the stereo to flip it onto a random station.

Hip-Hop filled the room.

I went the water cooler at the corner or the room to get a drink of water, feeling extremely parched. I filled up a tiny paper cup and took a few sips.

"When's the last time you fuck man?" Casey said right on cue and the remainder of water in my mouth, flew right out like a sprinkler.

I turned to look at him puzzled.
"Say what?" I said wiping my moist lips with the back of my hand.

"I said... When was the last time you fucked?" he repeated and went to his bag, to get his stuff.

I still didn't answer.

While I clean up the floor, I looked up and saw him walk over to a 2005 Toyota Camry and proceeded to pop the hood, tools in his hand.

"Hey, I'm waiting." he began tinkering with the machinery.

"I'm not going to answer you." I replied throwing out the tissue. "You don't have to know shit." I took a seat on the trunk of one of the cars parked up next to him.
I had a feeling that he wasn't going to let up.

"Well, it just looks like you haven't got laid in a minute, so I just wondering." I blinked a few times. "You know, if you want to get some a..."

"Man, I'm good." I said holding up my hand to stop him from furthering.
I told my boys everything that happened with girls and majority of my sex life. Weirdly, it was just how, we guys connected, but this time I didn't feel compelled to share, careful not to slip up about Candice.

Yet, I felt like we needed to talk regardless, in that, I needed to get this Candice situation, out my system. I felt like Casey was the only who could help.
Maybe he had a fix.